13 Utterly Disappointing Facts About Books

1. In a 2012 survey, almost a fifth of children said they would be “embarrassed” if a friend saw them with a book….

2. …and 54% of those questioned said they preferred watching TV to reading.
Here’s the study from the National Literary Trust.

3. Fifty Shades of Grey is now the best-selling book of all time in Britain.
…topping all the print sales of the Harry Potter series.

4. Snooki is a New York Times best-selling author.

5. So is Jessica Alba.

6. This Justin Bieber book? Also a New York Timesbest seller.

7. Book and e-book sales are down 9.3% in the U.S. And the trend is pretty much the same across the globe.

8. The last Borders bookstore closed in September 2011. Barnes and Noble, which is battling a steady sales decline, has been closing about 15 stores a year.

9. Ebook sales have officially topped printed book sales as of 2011.
…which isn’t a death knell for reading per se, but it certainly signals the end of a rich historical era. Of paper.

10. Forks, Washington, now has Twilight-themed stores designed to cash in on tourists.

11. And the four-book Twilight series has sold over 116 million copies, almost half as many as Stephen King’s entire canon.

12. It’s gotten so bad, books are now being MASSACRED for crafts.

13. And the worst: One in four Americans said they read ZERO books in the past year.

(According to this 2007 Associated Press poll.)

What do you Think ?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
12. It’s gotten so bad, books are now being MASSACRED for crafts.
What does this mean?

On the topic you can basically see everything from positive and negative sides. For example, people are reading more now than they did in 1950s when there was no internet, social media or wide range of cable and TV programs. That's a good thing and it also shows that internet and TV are not responsible for decline in reading.

As far as particular sellers are concerned, I have noticed that B&N prices are not so competitive with amazon or Kobo. Also ebooks. Just to give you an example, last month I bought The Emperor's Blades ebook from Kobo for 5$. Applied 50% off coupon and voila. Book is ready to read in 10s. For comparison original price of a paperback on amazon 13$ and on Barnes and Noble it's 13$ for paperback, 12$ for Nook book. They have to adapt better than that.

Your list seems to be focused mostly on the books they are reading. I'm not inclined to judge so fast. Hey if Twilight gets some teens into reading in general that's a great thing IMO.

13. And the worst: One in four Americans said they read ZERO books in the past year.
(According to this 2007 Associated Press poll.)
I think this had changed with kindle. A more recent pole would be welcomed. It's been 7 years since 2007. ;)

Aikura

Became a Faceless Man
That is depressing, but should be considered in the broader context of the world outside the US and UK. Global literacy has been on a steep incline for a decade or so after trending negatively for almost half a century. Book markets in many developing countries (including economic giants like PRC and India) have undergone massive growth and are now BOOMING, accompanied by the proliferation of big, indigenous publishing houses. A lot of this is in the e-market thanks to mobile technology saturation, but most of it is still paper. A huge portion is reprinted classics because the market is expanding faster than the industry, but there are more and more (talented) emerging authors taking advantage of it.

So there's hope for the rest of the world at least. I don't know if Twilight has been widely translated, but I'm hoping not, so the better part of humanity might skip that one. :D

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
I think it's very sad that so many of the people who do like to read have such god-awful shitty tastes. And no I'm not even talking about stuff that teens like such as Twilight and Eragon which seem to be the two favorites that snobs like to pick apart for no reason other than it makes them feel better.

Derk of Derkholm

Indeed, #3 IS embarassing. The others, I can live with.

Bierschneeman

not that worried about twilight or any of those awful biography books being really popular, I learned long ago, If everyoneelse likes it, it is more likely to be a wretched abomination of an art form.

examples. popular movies, (the plotless Wonder of James Camerons) Avatar, Saturday Night Fever was a number one box office hit, so was Hair, Tyler Perry Movies don't just make money, they make LOTS of money. Quentin Tarentino is worshipped like a god. all those overrated M Night Shamalan Movies that were no where near as good as they claimed to be.

Books OK SERIOUSLY why is Dan Brown THAT POPULAR.

Art, Andy Warhol. not only did people buy into this, but they let it change the world of art forever (ohh and all his so called ground breaking thesis' are actually decades old when he showed up on the scene.)

Music. what boy band are we into this week? is Brittany Spears popular again? MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, does anyone remember the first time they heard Disco (nearly clawed my ears off)

Random Culture (fashion and lingo) leg warmers, Jean Jackets (HEY they are comfy as Hell.) Pet Rocks, L33t Sp3@k, Surfer Talk, Hippie Talk, Beatnik talk, Parachute Pants, is not bathing hip again yet?, Rind Stones, Greased Hair, Mullets, Paisley, Brown Corduroy suits, wearing your jeans around your knee,

I bthink I made my point

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

Derk of Derkholm

examples. popular movies, (the plotless Wonder of James Camerons) Avatar, Saturday Night Fever was a number one box office hit, so was Hair, Tyler Perry Movies don't just make money, they make LOTS of money. Quentin Tarentino is worshipped like a god. all those overrated
Hey! No insulting of HAIR here, please.
Do have some respect for the indulgences of your forefathers!

(And some of Quentin Tarantinos movies are really quite funny ... am partial to "From Dusk till Dawn", myself)

Best regards,
Andy

Bierschneeman

(And some of Quentin Tarantinos movies are really quite funny ... am partial to "From Dusk till Dawn", myself)

Best regards,
Andy
ohh I like Dusk til Dawn, its like watching Mystery Science Theatre 3k, you know the movies probably the worst piece of cinema you'll watch for a while, and the jokes that try to cover it up are pretty bad, but its just....

OHH I will say that after watching "Arogant Bastards" , "The Arogant Basterds" was pretty good, though mostly made up of stolen scenes from older movies, it pains me to say it, but I liked The Arogant Basterds

Antoxx

Best regards,
Andy
I like a lot of Tarantino's stuff too. D2D, "Arrogant Bastards" and Pulp Fiction all were brilliant.

João Ribeiro

OHH I will say that after watching "Arogant Bastards"
Don't you mean Inglourious Bastards? Besides I thank that one could have lasted one hour less than it did and it would have been good.

But I am not a Tarantino fan.

Also Jean jackets were supposed to take over the world. I miss my old torn one :(

Alucard

Staff member
I really love some of his films, like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. I never disliked any of his movies. I think he's a great director, but I am sure he doesn't give a shit what any of us think. The sheer fact that he makes a movie every two years, and he is not mass producing them like expandable products, shows that he is making them for himself. Like any artist would.

Last edited:

Bierschneeman

I really love some of his films, like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. I never disliked any of his movies. I think he's a great director, but I am sure he doesn't give a shit what any of us think. The sheer fact that he makes a movie every two years, and not mass producing them like expandable products, shows that he is making them for himself. Like any artist would.
making movies seldom, not mass producing them (or unprolific) you mean like George Lucas, director of Phantom Menace, his first film since 1977. (and NOT the director of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi)
JK

Ok so Here is my synposis of Quentin Tarantino. (well researched and much reheased because I have to defend myself against one of my best friends)
First off, Resevoir Dogs, This is his Breakout film, the one that made him popular and main stream allowing him to direct Pulp Fiction 2 years later.
Pulp Fiction is his Magnum Opus, I can't knock him for it really, But if you want to understand any of his films, its best to watch this, since all his films are loosely similar, this is where he establishes his style as a director. First noticable thing is, he is intentionally telling actors to overact, to treat themselves like players of a high school version of StreetCar Named Desire, gritty, loworn poorly educated banter, in an overact overemphasized manner. I GET IT, its not bad right off the bat. it works. But he doesn't let go of it, even in Sin City, his section of the film is the guy with the red shoes. remember when that girl leans her head out the window and languidly overemotes the words, "damn you...He's a Cop. damnit" thats like a signature the way she utters those words. its true Tarantino make no mistake.

again, good idea. don't put it in every movie with every actor doing it. it becomes like paying 5 million for a Andy Warhol Painting that some ' not Warhol' guy painted 400 times.

Then Tarantino tries to remake the success of Pulp Fiction with Jackie Brown. didn't work out that well at first, still a movie that spends a lot of its time with dialogue that has very little to do with the plot, again I get it and it was kind of cool the first time, but you just did that movie Quentin..... you just did it. he learns from his mistake though and drops the off topic dialogue to the background for his films from then on.

then KILL BILL, this is when I begin to Hate Tarantino, before now he was just making movies with intentionaly cheesey acting, circular plots that don't really do much, and off topic dialogue, it was like he was just an art film director who occasionally took scenes from other movies and inserted them in his own, I didn't hate him yet. I actually had good things to say about his films. BUT Kill Bill changed how he did things, there are Thousands of writers of Kill Bill, by that I mean, all his best lines, all his screen wipes and panning, and scene direction, and fight coriagraphy.... ALL OF IT, has been done before. but he doesn't admit this, they even called him out, and he denied it, (most of the other movies are not internationally copyrighted so no lawsuits.) when he was finally cornered about it, he said "im homaging them" as if denying the connection fervently is an homage.

to me this would be like if I made a book, that started with "It was the best of times it was the worst of times" stuck a 'to be or not to be' in there, stole the sex scenes with Felurian from The Wise Man's Fear, and the fight scene from Elric of Melnebone, and Boromirs Death scene, and claimed I didn't (though in this instance I would be gleaning the best parts of less known fantasy books, not Shakespear and Tolkien obviously.)

so I offer three theories of why I don't like Tarantino,
First, He is intentionally making bad movies, with bad acting and using the most absurd not part of the film answers to what happens next. almost as an art statement,
second, its all a satire, he's the Mel Brooks of the modern age no one thought to look at as. this seems less likely but it coincides with explanation of why he intentionally has his actors over emote.
third, he's a biter that gleans all the best bits from other peoples works and smashes them together, creating something that the masses can't help but like, because he stole everyone elses cool bits and created nothing of his own with mediocraty preferring to be a theif instead. and lie about being a thief. (why create mediocraty when you can steal genius)

but Tarantino fans usually reject these three theories preferring to think of him as a god, which even if you like him, he isn't that good at what he does.

Alucard

Staff member
Wow.

Honestly I don't have anything smart to say. I have no bone to pick with Tarantino or the people who don't like him. I think he's creative, I wont mistake his movies to somebody's else, and a simple fact: I enjoy his stuff.
I don't feel the need to defend or attack him. I am not a movie critic or a movie director. In my view. he knows what he is doing.

Generally, and artists are aware of this, well most of them anyway, when you create any art, you can't please everyone. So the best thing to do is to make stuff for yourself. That's all I have to say. As Martin says: "Art is not a democracy."
Go to 16:19, for part I'm referring. It's a long interview.