2016's What fiction or non-fiction book are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fiction (General)' started by sopranosfan, Jan 20, 2016.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I'm about to start reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (well, listening to the audiobook). I'm expecting something a bit brutal from what I've read about it, but if it's as well written and vivid as The Road (the only other McCarthy book I've read), then I'm in for a treat!

2. TomTB

I think my last post got eaten in the server swap, but it was just to say that I gave up on Blood Meridian at about the 1/4 mark. It was confusing as it was difficult to understand who the narrator was, it definitely wasn't character driven, and the 'western' setting didn't really interest me. It was excellently written with some of the best descriptions I've come across, but it just wasn't for me ..

3. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Will you get back to McCarthy though? I remember you really liked the Road.

4. TomTB

Loved The Road. He's a stunning author, so I'll definitely get back to him at some point. Blood Meridian was superbly written, but I need more than that to enjoy a book!

5. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I was in the need of a little break from F&SF, and I have been reading for the last couple of days Killing Socrates by M Chicot, a historical novel set during the 30 year of the Peloponnesian war. It mixes fictional characters with historical ones, and focuses on the terrible events during the war for the control over Greece between Sparta and Athens.
    I'm really enjoying it so far.

I have also finished Breeds II by K C Blackmore, a trepidant horror story with werewolfs with a twist. A fun, entertaining, easy read.

6. Tanniel

Tanniel Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Picked up And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini two days ago, read a few chapters and finished the whole thing yesterday. It was a pretty good read for a non-SFF book. =P
    It's a friend who's recommending Hosseini to me, so I will probably pick up A Thousand Splendid Suns next time I'm at the library, at her recommendation.

• Like Like x 1