2017 Reading Challenge?

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
Is anyone up for a year end reading challenge? @Alucard did one a few years back which I thought was great. I'd happily get one going for the end of this year if enough folk are interested? I'll definitely make it impossible to complete though, just to forearm ;)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Oh this was lots of fun when we did it. I think Sopranos fan won. Maybe you can talk to Ben or Jon about setting some rewards for people who win this. Last time we did amazon gift cards I think.

Sadly I am very busy, and even my normal reading suffered. I've been reading one book for months now. So, I can't really participate. But if any of you have some spare time, you definitely should. It's fun!

Kalavan

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
Sure, I usually tend to choose my readings on a rigorous spur of the moment basis, but it seems fun, do count me in

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
I wasn't involved in the last one, so I'm unsure what is involved, but it sounds intriguing. Tom, could you give a little more description of what the challenge would involve (specific books, number or books, types of books, all of the above, etc)? I can always use a little motivation to read more :)

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
I wasn't involved in the last one, so I'm unsure what is involved, but it sounds intriguing. Tom, could you give a little more description of what the challenge would involve (specific books, number or books, types of books, all of the above, etc)? I can always use a little motivation to read more :)
Here's the challenge from a few years back, just to give you an idea of what it might be like

http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/...lenge-a-k-a-credit-giveaway-list-thread.1859/

I might throw a few curve balls in, you never know ;)

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
Unless I select carefully. I will likely never win this. But I'm willing to give I a go

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I didn't participate last time (lack of time).

However, if this takes place in November/December, you all should know that I will be off work 6 weeks recovering from surgery and will have lots and lots of free time on my hands...

Bierschneeman

I didn't participate last time (lack of time).

However, if this takes place in November/December, you all should know that I will be off work 6 weeks recovering from surgery and will have lots and lots of free time on my hands...
Lol, that's the reverse for me. If we start now I have time. If its nov/ Dec I'll be lucky to read two books

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
We could delay commencement? Or .... possibly, make it a challenge for the whole of 2018??? There still wouldn't be s hope in hell of finishing the challenge, but it would give folk more time to participate to the extent they want to!?

Bierschneeman

I'd say instead of delaying commencement, extend into 2018. Either to a month, or say. "til Sept 20 next year"

But don't let little ole me change plans. I am holding my breath waiting to start my next book until I know when we start.

Also, that novelization of a movie part alone is enough to make I impossible

Last edited:

Darth Tater

What a novel (pun unintended) idea! I doubt I would participate (too much pressure for my personal reading habits) but I had fun reading everyone's lists from the last contest and would certainly enjoy reading future lists!

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
There doesn't appear to be many takers at the moment.

I'm leaning towards doing a 2018 1 year challenge (sorry @Bierschneeman), with some quite specific and some quite broad challenges, and that way people can participate for fun just by applying their normal reading habits. It won't be a competition, more of a tick list, but saying that I'm sure there could be a prize for the member who completed the most challenges come the end of the year, after all, I've been looking to give away my copy of Dinosaur Lords for quite some time now..

Jakyro

I'm leaning towards doing a 2018 1 year challenge (sorry @Bierschneeman), with some quite specific and some quite broad challenges, and that way people can participate for fun just by applying their normal reading habits. It won't be a competition, more of a tick list, but saying that I'm sure there could be a prize for the member who completed the most challenges come the end of the year, after all, I've been looking to give away my copy of Dinosaur Lords for quite some time now..
I can't wait to participate now!

I'll probably do so in 2018. I'll finish Malazan by then and I'm planning on reading a bit more diverse as from then. Some shorter series and books ...

Bierschneeman

Not worried, just wanted to know before I started my next novel. Just started war and peace tho morning when I found out.