2017 Reading Challenge?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Sep 14, 2017.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Is anyone up for a year end reading challenge? @Alucard did one a few years back which I thought was great. I'd happily get one going for the end of this year if enough folk are interested? I'll definitely make it impossible to complete though, just to forearm ;)

2. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I'll at least think about it . Just to hindleg

3. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Oh this was lots of fun when we did it. I think Sopranos fan won. Maybe you can talk to Ben or Jon about setting some rewards for people who win this. Last time we did amazon gift cards I think.

Sadly I am very busy, and even my normal reading suffered. I've been reading one book for months now. So, I can't really participate. But if any of you have some spare time, you definitely should. It's fun!

4. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Sure, I usually tend to choose my readings on a rigorous spur of the moment basis, but it seems fun, do count me in

5. Buffy V Slayer

Buffy V Slayer Knows Who John Uskglass Is

I wasn't involved in the last one, so I'm unsure what is involved, but it sounds intriguing. Tom, could you give a little more description of what the challenge would involve (specific books, number or books, types of books, all of the above, etc)? I can always use a little motivation to read more :)

6. TomTB

Here's the challenge from a few years back, just to give you an idea of what it might be like

http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/...lenge-a-k-a-credit-giveaway-list-thread.1859/

I might throw a few curve balls in, you never know ;)

7. Bierschneeman

Unless I select carefully. I will likely never win this. But I'm willing to give I a go

8. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I didn't participate last time (lack of time).

However, if this takes place in November/December, you all should know that I will be off work 6 weeks recovering from surgery and will have lots and lots of free time on my hands...

9. Bierschneeman

Lol, that's the reverse for me. If we start now I have time. If its nov/ Dec I'll be lucky to read two books

10. TomTB

We could delay commencement? Or .... possibly, make it a challenge for the whole of 2018??? There still wouldn't be s hope in hell of finishing the challenge, but it would give folk more time to participate to the extent they want to!?

11. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Couldn't possibly this year, but would be keen next year. Good motivation.

12. Bierschneeman

I'd say instead of delaying commencement, extend into 2018. Either to a month, or say. "til Sept 20 next year"

But don't let little ole me change plans. I am holding my breath waiting to start my next book until I know when we start.

Also, that novelization of a movie part alone is enough to make I impossible

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

What a novel (pun unintended) idea! I doubt I would participate (too much pressure for my personal reading habits) but I had fun reading everyone's lists from the last contest and would certainly enjoy reading future lists!

14. TomTB

There doesn't appear to be many takers at the moment.

I'm leaning towards doing a 2018 1 year challenge (sorry @Bierschneeman), with some quite specific and some quite broad challenges, and that way people can participate for fun just by applying their normal reading habits. It won't be a competition, more of a tick list, but saying that I'm sure there could be a prize for the member who completed the most challenges come the end of the year, after all, I've been looking to give away my copy of Dinosaur Lords for quite some time now..

15. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Journeyed there and back again

How many times have you read it now? I can picture the tattered book on the nightstand! I can't believe you'd part with it.

16. Jakyro

Jakyro Journeyed there and back again

I can't wait to participate now!

I'll probably do so in 2018. I'll finish Malazan by then and I'm planning on reading a bit more diverse as from then. Some shorter series and books ...

17. TomTB

Once a day I read a different passage. It's turned into my bible. Hallelujah!

18. Bierschneeman

Not worried, just wanted to know before I started my next novel. Just started war and peace tho morning when I found out.

19. Bierschneeman

Sounds like its my naked lunch. New copy just got printed.... I gotta read it again.

20. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

If it's in 2018 I might be interested too. Bit busy at the moment, but should have more reading time next year.