2017 reading highlights / lowlights

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
Hi Alice. Does Fitz come out of the closet and admit being gay and in love with the Fool? I always thought that was where Hobb was heading.
Hmm. Always thought about the fool more being a trans person, so Fitz does not actually have to be gay to fall for them...

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Hmm. Always thought about the fool more being a trans person, so Fitz does not actually have to be gay to fall for them...
Yeah, if you read all the previous books, that is the sense I get, too. Or maybe "gender fluid" or something is the term? I may be misremembering but sometimes the Fool presented as a man and sometimes as a woman, rather than consistently presenting/living as one gender. (I have not read anything from the new series, and I am blanking on the names of some of the series, but the original trilogy, Liveship Traders, and Tawny Man at least present that picture of the Fool. Granted, I seem to recall in interactions with Fitz, the Fool was mostly acting in a male role. But it has been awhile and I may be forgetting something.)

paul james

Firsthanded the newest Caine adventure
The best I read this year was Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny.

No real lowlights for me as I did not read much. The death's in Memories of Ice were probably the lowest.

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
No. I would actually have been good with that. And there is a bit of yearning in that last book that sort of feels romantic-y. I just thought she didn't serve her characters well. Her solution didn't feel like a win to me. It felt almost damning, but maybe that's just me.

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Yeah, if you read all the previous books, that is the sense I get, too. Or maybe "gender fluid" or something is the term? I may be misremembering but sometimes the Fool presented as a man and sometimes as a woman, rather than consistently presenting/living as one gender. (I have not read anything from the new series, and I am blanking on the names of some of the series, but the original trilogy, Liveship Traders, and Tawny Man at least present that picture of the Fool. Granted, I seem to recall in interactions with Fitz, the Fool was mostly acting in a male role. But it has been awhile and I may be forgetting something.)
Yes, the Fool was a woman in the Rain Wilds. I always thought s/he was trying to be a bit sexless and non-human, or not fully human. I didn't mind the fluidity of her/his gender while the relationship stayed platonic. There can be deep love without sexuality. Somehow I got the feeling that the Fool wasn't interested in sex. That didn't seem to change.

Andrew.J

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Highs
  • Sword of Destiny (Witcher #2) by Andrzej Sapkowski - enjoyed the short story format and the Slavic influences very much. Made it into my favourites list.
  • Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - I was listening to the entire series the first half of 2017, really loved it. Small Favour (#10) and Skin Game (#15) I enjoyed the most. They've also made it into my favourites list.
  • Skirgaila by Vincas Krėvė - not fantasy and not English, but wonderful nonetheless. I'm putting it here for future reference.
Lows
  • The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - not a good introduction to Gaiman for me. Makes me wary of checking out any of his other books.
  • Prince of Thorns and King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence - rather disappointing. I quit reading the 2nd book halfway through.
  • Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher - not the same level of quality as the Dresden Files, didn't work for me as well.

jo zebedee

I had planned to read Wind Through The Keyhole once I see a deal (too short to pay full price). Like you, I really enjoyed the Dark Tower series. So why was this one crappy?

Also, I MAY read Slow Regard after Book 3 comes out (I know it takes place earlier). Why didnt you like that one?
Slow Regard is just about my favourite fantasy book ever - I think you would really like it. Very thought provoking (and heart rending)

My highlights The Goddess Project by Bryan Wigmore (although I beta read it a few years ago), Jodi Taylor's St Mary's Chronicles, Ian McDonald's Luna:Wolf Moon, Peadar O'Guilin's The Call.

No real lowlights

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slow Regard is just about my favourite fantasy book ever - I think you would really like it. Very thought provoking (and heart rending)

My highlights The Goddess Project by Bryan Wigmore (although I beta read it a few years ago), Jodi Taylor's St Mary's Chronicles, Ian McDonald's Luna:Wolf Moon, Peadar O'Guilin's The Call.

No real lowlights
I'm thoroughly addicted to the St Mary's books right now. Just about to start #5!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - not a good introduction to Gaiman for me. Makes me wary of checking out any of his other books.
Give American Gods a try. I think you like mythological fantasy same as me, and AG is still my favourite Gaiman book, and I've read a few.

Khartun

Highlights:

The Abject God, Kings of the Wylde, The Wool trilogy, Greatcoats, The Zero series by Sara King and Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

Lowlights:

The Dreaming Void by Peter Hamilton