2017 Reading Resolutions

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Dec 1, 2016.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Do you have any reading resolutions for 2017?

I am definitely, categorically, absotively, not burdening myself with any this time round, after failing miserably with accomplishing any resolution I've set myself for the past few years. I will, however, do the Goodreads Reading Challenge again.

2. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

I don't set anything. I read what I read when I want to read it. I go to the library and pick up things I never would have otherwise.

I do have a couple of friends' books out that I will want to get to. But mostly I don't do reading goals. I just read. :)

3. Tanniel

Tanniel Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I usually get 7-10 books for Christmas and my birthday (which falls close to each other), so my resolution each year tends to be to read every book I received as a gift - this doesn't sound like a big number, but most of these tends to be non-fiction (usually literary criticism or aesthetic philosophy) that "pulls some teeth out", as we say here.

Other than that, I'll try and expand my horizon of the fantasy writers in the last decade or so, names I see bandied around often. I read Brent Weeks a few weeks (hah) ago, and I'll go through any other name I recognise at my library. Lastly, I'll try and pick up a few more indie writers, in part because I am one, and in part just to explore that field - it's fresh and exciting, and you can often pick up these books for free, so there's no buyer's remorse. I've read two this year (both for free), including The Woven Ring by our very own @Matticus Primal, which I can recommend to anyone that enjoys the idea of American Civil War and simple, well-constructed magic systems with lots of potential.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Well seeing as I am just now completing 2015's resolution (finish WoT, Thomas Covenant, and Malazan -- about 100 pages left of The Crippled God to go and the other two are done), perhaps I shouldn't make any. I had kind of a low-reading year in 2016 so I will just say I hope to finish more books in 2017 than I did in 2016. That is setting the bar pretty low but is probably manageable.

5. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

Congrats on the Malazan achievement!

6. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Thanks. It was only one book, to be fair. I'd read the first 9 some years ago, as they came out.

7. Placida

Placida Owns a Ring of Power

I guess my resolution is to catch up on my fantasy classics. :). Thanks to input from this board I have plenty to read!

8. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

My resolution for this coming year is stopping myself from buying too many books, and working through the wonderful selection I already have waiting enthusiastically to be read.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I am wrapping up my 2016 reading resolution, which was to read the Discworld series. For 2017 I don't have any particular goals in mind.

10. Theophania

Theophania Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I don't really do reading resolutions: reading just happens to me, without me having to make any resolutions about it.

On the other hand, I do have writing resolutions... :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

Ah, yes, those... And deadlines. And a desperate hope my first foray into fantasy goes down well since I'm writing another (as well as the sequel to Inish Carraig, what seems to be turning into my cult hit) - and that is, I think, why I don't set reading plans. Sometimes when I'm writing I avoid reading new material (I'm okay with rereading) and given the amount I have to keep up with, reading might be on the back burner for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  12. David Sims

David Sims Told lies with Locke

Finish reading Guy Gavriel Kay's books. I've finished The Fionavar Tapestry, Tigana, The Lions of Al-Rassan, A Song for Arbonne, and Sailing to Sarantium. I'm reading Lord of Emperors now (65%). Remaining: Under Heaven, River of Stars, The Last Light of the Sun, and Children of Earth and Sky.

Buy City of Miracles (Divine Cities #3) by Robert Jackson Bennett on 2 May 2017. ← notice! notice!

Read the Magic by the Numbers trilogy by Lyndon Hardy.

Read The Night Circus, by Erin Morganstern.

Read The Grand Ellipse, by Paula Volsky.

Finish The Wheel of Time (Jordon & Sanderson). I haven't got to the last two books yet.

Get further along in Malazan (Steven Erikson). I've read through House of Chains. Next up: Midnight Tides.

Finish The Saga of Recluce (L.E. Modesitt Jr.). I haven't read the most recently published three books yet.

Try to get started on the books by...
    Miles Cameron
    Mark Lawrence
    Holly Lisle
    Scott Lynch
    Pierce Brown
    Bradley P. Beaulieu
    Robert Jackson Bennett
    Patricia McKillip
    Juliet Marillier
    Stephen R. Donaldson
    Brian McClellan
    Robin McKinley (The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword)
    Lois McMaster Bujold (her fantasy stories, Chalion, etc.)
    Lynn Flewelling
    Michael J. Sullivan
    Melanie Rawn
    Michelle West
    Anthony Ryan
    Dan Simmons
    Clifford D. Simak (short fiction)
    Patrick Rothfuss
    Brian Staveley
    Mary Stewart
    Matthew Woodring Stover
    Jo Walton
    Lawrence Watt-Evans
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Jim Butcher
    Django Wexler
    Martha Wells
    Gene Wolfe
    James Barclay
    Paul O. Williams
    David Gemmell
    Alastair Reynolds
    Dima Zales
    Allan Batchelder

I also resolve to get on Amazon and suggest that a Kindle editions be made of Sean Russell's Moontide Magic Rise and River Into Darkness series, at last 100 times during the year.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  13. Rebelliott

Rebelliott Stood on the wall with Druss

To give Guy Gavriel Kay a second chance - hated Tigana

To finally read some Terry Pratchett :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jakyro

Jakyro Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Continue "Malazan Book of the Fallen" and "Malazan Empire". I'm about to start the fifth book in the MBotF series and I hope to finish this one before the end of the year.

This means I'll still have 11 books for 2017. As I tend to read some other books in between, I'm not sure I'll finish both series, ... but I hope I will :D

15. Placida

Placida Owns a Ring of Power

Good luck with that! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. afa

afa Journeyed there and back again

After many, many years of thinking about getting started with Malazan Book of the Fallen, I finally read Gardens of the Moon this year. So I resolve to read more Malazan.

I resolve to read more Sci-Fi books.

I resolve to try out new (for me) authors. Half the books I read this year were from authors whose previous works I am already familiar with. I should branch out more.

I resolve, as every year, to read more books. I had a Goodreads Reading Challenge target of 20 books this year. As of now, I've done 17. I will certainly finish the audiobook I'm listening to, so that's 18. If I get time to read more, I might finish the other book I'm reading, so that will hopefully make it 19. Challenge failed. Which, I'm sure, would come as a shock to some of my fellow members here, for who failing to read a modest 20 books in a whole year is probably unfathomable. But I'm a slow reader.

Let's hope I do better in 2017.

17. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I'm skipping this year. I'm still gonna do GR reading challenge, but not any specific challenges like this year. I failed in this My 2016 reading project spectacularly, reading only 6 out of 20 (either partial or complete series).
    I'll continue reading kids and middle-grade fantasy from that list of twenty, but it wont be a challenge.

18. ofer

ofer Journeyed there and back again

Not really a new year resolution, but I decided to try and get back to several book series that I liked over the last few years and for some reason decided not to continue immediately at the time:
    Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (read the first 8)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (read book 1)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (read books 1 and 2)
    Culture series by Iain Banks (read books 1-3 and, for some reason, book 8)
    Expanse series by James Corey (read book 1)
    Red Queen trilogy by Mark Lawrance (read book 1)
    Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown (read book 1)

I'll also probably read the rest of Richard Morgan's standalone books (Market Forces and Black Man/Thirteen) and, when it will be published, the third book in the Divine cities series by Robert Jackson Bennett.

19. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Only when it comes to the entrails of my enemies :rage:

• Like Like x 1
  20. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

In 2015 I've managed to read around 58 books.

I`ve challenged myself to read 100 books in 2016, but unless I cheat a lot, it won't happen. I've finished about 81 books so far this year( ~1.5 books per week, yay) which is nice. But if I am to be completely honest here I would've prefered to accomplish the 100 books goal. Still 16mil. + fantasy words in a year is quite much compared to my previous years.

So I`d probably try for the same goal in the coming year - 100 books. Life and health I might be able to do it. Although I am hoping to be able to do some writing too and it would be an interesting game of deciding between the two day in and day out. :) Still - I feel grateful that I have a line of work that lets me keep up with my fantasy books fascination. :)