2017 Reading Resolutions

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Maxal

Maxal Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry

My reading resolutions are to read books in a constant manner. In the last years, I often had dry reading periods as I seemed to have had a hard time picking books I truly enjoyed.

Here is what I currently have on my reading list, in no specific order:

- The Tales of Ketty Jay (almost finished book 1) by Chris Wooding
    - Powder Mage Trilogy by Brian McClellan
    - The Dagger and the Coin by Daniel Abraham
    - Lighbringer by Brent Weeks
    - Elantris (because I never got around to read this one as it is said to be weak) by Brandon Sanderson
    - Arcanum Unbounded by Brandon Sanderson
    - Oathbringer (late 2017 release, so it should count as a 2017 book) by Brandon Sanderson

Oh and I will probably pick up Calamity even though I was not a huge fan of Firefight. It shouldn't be a long one to read and I hate leaving a series unfinished. In the same spirit, I should probably add Last Argument of Kings which I have been delaying reading for years.... This one feels more like a chore than pleasure.

My list is mostly based on recommendations I have received. I hope to get around to finish my list and add a few others to it along the way. Maybe a few historical fiction as I do enjoy those.

2. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I don't have any particular goals besides reading consistently. I get great recommendations here and there're plenty of books on TOP lists on BFB that I want to get to. But I do want to start a book journal and log my experiences that way. I've even purchased a Paperblanks notebook to write everything in! It's just that it looks so good I'm afraid to ruin it by writing :confused:. Coming up with a proper rating system that reflects my thoughts and feelings would be great too.

Edit: Goodreads reading challenge seems cool as well.

3. Fisterra

Fisterra Helped Logen count his fingers

I have three resolutions for next year:

1) Read at least half of the books that are in my current TBR pile.
    2) Finish reading Discworld.
    3) Aaand try to read 75 books. I don't know if I'll manage to do it, but I'm two books away from making it to 70 this year, so I want to see if I can go one step beyond. :D

4. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

No it isn't, not at all. Well IMO :) I think that considering almost everything else he's doing is unfinished, Elantris is a great read because it's a stand alone. I loved it

Here's my reading list for 2017:

- Lightbringer
    - Finish Farseer and at least the second trilogy too, Liveship Traders
    - Start Hyperion Cantos
    - American Gods
    - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn or - Gentleman Bastard. Haven't decided which I want to read first.

- The Wheel of Time

I have a feeling I might start this next year. If I do I probably won't read much of the other stuff on my list :p

• Like Like x 1
  5. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

The last couple years I read around 35-40ish books, so this year I set myself a target of 52 books (1 per week), not necessarily because reading more is better, but more because I wanted to allocate more of my spare time to it than stuff like watching crap on telly, drinking wine etc etc...

I knew that 52 would be fairly achievable if I spent more time reading. As it turned out I spent far too much time watching crap on telly, drinking wine etc, and I probably only read 25 or so books, but coupled with my new found relationship with audiobooks, I'm on target to hit my 52 book target.

So, to cut a long story short, I'm upping the ante next year, and setting my Goodreads challenge to 60 books, which I'm confident that if I spend more time reading and less time telly/wine/etc, I'll reach my goal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Such great books. If you're sticking to your resolutions you're going to have a great reading year.

7. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I intended on this year being my Malazan year, but then Black Company came and fucked up my plans in the most wonderfully unanticipated way. To that end I'm not even going to allocate 2017 for Malazan, I've got too much on my plate and in my TBR pile so it'll have to wait (2018, maybe?).
    My Goodreads challenge was 33 for the year, and Goodreads has kindly remonstrated my lack of singularly adherent compliance as 9 books behind 'schedule'. Oh dear. I'm intending on scraping across the line with an end of year feast over the holidays; voraciously consuming my remaining Black Company books, finishing up the Conan collection and one or two single-serve novels, and then either Conan's Brethren (Bran Mak Morn, Kull, Solomon Kane, etc) or a re-read of Ibn Fadlan's Risala.

For 2017, I'd like to tackle The Dark Tower series, American Gods (an Odinnic romp will always appeal to me), the other Druss books beyond Gemmell's Legend, and LeGuin's Earthsea Cycle. I'll turn my proclivities toward more quality reading experiences - 2016 was very, very good to me (largely because of the forums and BFB as a whole), so I'd like to continue this lucky streak for the new year. I'll probably keep my Goodreads figure around the 30 mark, maybe a bit lower as I've my own writing to focus on concurrently.

Beyond that, I'm keen to try out some NobleBright and, though the acknowledgment escapes me, someone mentioned "KnightBro" as a genre. All I could think was 'damn, that sounds like an incandescent quest of the most sumptuously lambent, egregiously crepuscular and jolly co-operation I want to be a part of!' :D
    So, here's to a great next year of reading!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

KnightBro? You mean they named a genre after the Elenium/Tamuli?

9. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I hope you guys are all aware I'm going to revisit this thread time and time again over the course of 2017 and pester you all if I feel you are not living up to your resolutions.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Apparently. And I can't wait to check it out. Hahahahahaha :happy:

11. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Colour me intrigued. Do you have some KnightBro recommendations to share?

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Agreed. Reading is my escape route to relaxation. I never make resolutions. Too much like work if I must "force" myself to do something.

I do keep a TBR list mainly for organization and to avoid forgetting the books I plan to read.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TomTB

Another resolution related to reading I'm gonna try to stick with next year, is to stop buying books when they're reduced in price. I've got roughly 400 books sat in my kindle I'm yet to read, which I've purchased after being informed of price reductions on eReaderIQ, that have generally been picked up for 99p- £1.99 each. I need to start making a dint in what I've got rather than continually adding to the pile. It'll help my credit card out, too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Theophania

Theophania Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Yeah, I make that resolution every year, but people keep publishing new books.

15. TomTB

The swines!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I disagree. For that price they are free. My backlog is only about 150 and I make a point of pulling forward titles that I then just start reading spur of the moment, and get engaged quite often.

17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Totally agree there. You can get most of those $2 books anytime. No use stockpiling.

This wasn't a New Years resolution but I did decide to avoid starting any more incomplete series even if they were on sale and on my TBR. But when they're reduced 80% it's difficult resisting.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Two Resolutions . . .
    1) Lose some weight. Sadly, that involves exercise which cuts into my reading time . . . Oh well, 'seek a better balance'
    2) Write more reviews. I sort of feel obliged here, because I also need more reviews to help promote my own work.

Chances of keeping either resolution . . . well, not quite zero. Not quite!

19. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Yeah, I lost 45 pounds this year but read very little compared to previous years. A lot of that lost time was spent in my basement exercise room. Unfortunately, I am going to have to keep it up to some degree or the weight will come right back.

I think I will be happy if I can just read more books than in 2016. That is a pretty low bar, like finishing one every two weeks.

20. TomTB

I last did exercise in 1998 so am also planning on getting my arse in gear next year and maybe doing a little something to help shed a few inches from around the waist. I've asked friends and family for vouchers so that I can put them towards buying a bike ... whether I use the bike is currently tbc.