2017 Reading Resolutions

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Dec 1, 2016.

1. wakarimasen

wakarimasen Journeyed there and back again

My resolutions are more word related than reading specific. I'm going to try and get back on the boards a bit. Life has been way hectic since I became a stay at home dad. Not least of all because I haven't stayed at home, but have gone to work during school hours (so basically I've been doing two jobs badly instead of 1 job well).
    I'm also going to resolve to up my writing time, which will eat into any reading time - but as I lurve my audiobooks I should still get some stories in while the dogs drag me round the block.
    The big word related resolution though is that I'm going to actually do the interviews I lined up for BFB: Angus Watson & The Newmans (name of my next band etc..)

I will. I promise. I weally weally promise.

as for all this KnightBro stuff... is that all like...

YB3Es.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Theophania

Theophania Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Going by the Elenium, which I enjoyed, it's kind of like a road trip, only with more armour.

(OK, a lot like the last long road trip I did, which included armour.)

3. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Good to see you back dude! I can fully imagine how being a stay at home dad could quite easily fill the time of a full time job!

Let me know if you fancy another interview ... there's a request or two knocking around with your name written all over it :)

4. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

This is probably the best description of KnightBro fantasy that there's been so far.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fantam

Fantam Ran bridges next to Kaladin

My resolution is going to be to try to read regularly, continue with some new (to me) authors and some sequels to series which I have already started.

I don't know how many books I will get through, but will probably set myself a modest Goodreads challenge target and try to better it, so I don't keep seeing that I am behind schedule, ha, ha. :D

• Like Like x 2
  6. TomTB

I've just finished my annual year end tally up of reading progress, and as it turns out, for the third year in a row, I've averaged 54 pages read a day.

So my new 2017 reading resolution is to read an average of 55 pages a day during the year!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I want to get back to 100 books for 2017. I was way below that this year (65, and some of them were short stories). I'd also like to finish most of the trilogies and series I have partially read. I'd also like to eliminate the backlog of free/cheap self-published books I have on my Kindle. In addition to that, I'd like to read more of both years' SPFBO finalists.

8. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I second that!:happy:

9. Theophania

That's what I do each year. Set it for 50 books, and see how it goes. :)

10. TomTB

Didn't you read 100+ this year? Not one for taxing oneself, are we? ;)

11. Theophania

Absolutely not. Constructive laziness is the way forward. :)

(Besides, 2017 is going to be the Year of Writing, so reading is probably going to take a hit.)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I already did part of this in an earlier thread. I've only made resolutions since 2012 ( I believe).
    But have so far been successfull until 2016. (One book short of twelve)

So the resolve for 12 again

One must be scifi
    Two Must be fantasy
    Work related books don't count.
    No retreads
    Spend more time with you such admirable Hobbits.
    Lose ten pounds
    Be more charitable

• Like Like x 2
  13. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

When I make goals or such, I go differently than most of you I think.

Say I want to read 100 books. I'd set my goal at 1 000 or 2 000 books - some outrageous and impossibly high number. In my mind I know I'd probably fail in reaching it, but the chances are I will read more than 100 books while being focused on the bigger unreachable goal, and thus I would feel like it was nobody`s business, instead of scraping for the extra mile.

I use this thing often, especially in work related stuff. I want to spend 4 hours per day writing? I aim for 50 hours per day writing. I want to acquire two new clients for the month - I aim at 25 new clients for the month, or 100 or 200. I usually end up overachieving that way.

I know the realistical goals for my marketing campaigns are 0.02$ per click( 50 clicks per dollar) - I aim for a 1 000 clicks per dollar. Chances are I will fail reaching 1 000, but sometimes I reach 100 or 200, which is like great.

It's just a way that enables my brain to think big and aim for the ingenius/spectacular ideas. Or just a way of me laying to my brain that the workload it is doing isn't as big as it really is, thus reducing the anxiety that usually comes with such tasks and decisions. Works for me, it also works for some friends of mine, it doesn't work for others - whatever makes your gears going I suppose. :)

14. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I am doing great with this so far. Last year I only read like 24 or 25 books. This year I've already finished 6 and the month isn't even over yet. (Heck, I finished TWO yesterday.)

• Like Like x 3
  15. TomTB

Slow at work again?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Me two. ( I can't get my emoji to work, so ...too)
    Two sherlock Holmes, two scifi from the 1800s, one fantasy and one classic.
    My goal is set at half as high as yours though

17. Sneaky Burrito

Yeah...boss has decided to work from home a good 80% of the time, too.

18. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

No resolutions but I think I've read 6 books so far this year - Daughter of Eden, The Hanging Tree, The Goddess Project, two ARCs and another I dropped back to the library and forget the name of. It was that memorable.....

19. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

What two? Any good?

20. Sneaky Burrito

The last two (well, first two since it is in reverse order) in my list in my signature. I liked The Malice fairly well but the Vandermeer book pissed me off a little. That series started off strongly (for me) but there were not enough answers at the end, some POV characters who didn't really interest me, etc.