2017 Reading Resolutions

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Dec 1, 2016.

1. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Oh yeah, I'm blind. I'm looking forward to The Malice. Liberation was good, that entire trilogy was, and the first two of his Milkweed triptych were good.

2. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Pretty sure my total for 2016 was in the 20s so resurrecting this thread to say I have met my goal at slightly under the halfway mark for the year.

3. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Well I stayed true to this and set my Goodreads challenge at 24 books for 2017 (2 books per month). Although I haven't read anything aside from few pages of Wizard and Glass for months now, I am still 8 books ahead of schedule and currently I have read 19 out of 24.
    Just checked and I'm around 7000 pages read, which makes an average of 368 pages per book. That's usually a standard book size, except for epic fantasy, which I don't read much compared to urban fantasy.
    I don't know why but each year around late spring and whole of summer I go into a reading slump and read less or sometimes nothing for months.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread Sneaky. It is half of the year mark, so it's nice to see how everyone is doing.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  4. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I have the same. I read only 1 book in the past 2 months. I'm looking for something new now though and thinking of picking up The Vagrant, which is still on my TBR list.

5. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

I won't reach my reading challenge this year largely because the WOT books are long. I wasn't so smart when I set my 2017 goal lol. I'm reading about a book a month to finish this series out and I'll probably finish at a dozen or so for the year but a pretty decent page count (for me).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I'm now officially half-way there with 20 (out of 40) books read this year. Granted, some of them have been shorter than I usually read but I still might have set the bar a bit too high. Especially considering I managed only 25 books last year. I'm in a bit of a reading slump at the moment too, but now that I'm almost done with Dresden Files - only Skin Game remains - I'm looking out for some potential fantasy books or series I'd like to try out next. Maybe something a bit lighter. I had to give up reading Malazan for the time being last year, cause my compulsory reading material was killing me. Speaking of which, I have a 944 page bad boy (about a horny priest who renounced his priesthood) that I really need to get to.

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I read purely for pleasure so I don't make those kind of quantity resolutions. Been there done that with 19 years of school. :confused: HOWEVER, that being said, around 1-2 months ago 13 books sat in my Kindle library so I was determined to knock a bunch off before adding to the collection. There were a couple of instances where I either really wanted to read something or a Daily Deal came up so I needed to add a book but I've reduced the list to only four! *Does cerebral happy dance* :D

8. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I mostly read for pleasure too, but I noticed I've been reading a lot more this year (since I started using Goodreads really). I'm not sure if it's because of the reading challenge, but cataloguing the books I read and jotting down my thoughts on them from time to time increased my enjoyment quite a bit. And since I don't limit my book choices due to their length, I'm quite happy with how it's all turning out. I guess it boils down to different methods of motivation. The Goodreads challenge, just like video game achievements, gives people something to aim for. As long as people don't get too caught up in numbers and challenges or worse - forget why they're reading in the first place - it doesn't steal anything from satisfaction we take in reading, imo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Right. Different strokes for different folks. :)

10. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I just made a reading resolution today.

I want to focus on finishing a lot of the series I've started before adding too many new series to my list. I feel like everything will get out of control if I don't focus on finishing a few series.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1