2017 Reading Resolutions

Kalavan

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
40 books for me as well, but with 16,615 pages, mainly due to the ridiculous size of Williams’ Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.
Which is a titanic step-back compared to 2016’s 36,421 pages across 95 books. I’d like to blame it on work and real life, but certainly Football Manager and Field of Glory II played their part too.

As for my GR challenge, at the moment it’s too close to call, but considering the reading mood I’m currently in I should barely reach my threshold

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
17 books and over 13,000 pages. Slowed down at the end of the year but in terms of pages am just under last year which was a personal best.Been busy but should slow down overChristmas and I can get into Oathbringer.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
My resolution was to finish up the Discworld series, which I did in early 2017. I read about 40 books, 35 of which are on GoodReads (some are more obscure Dutch books). Not too bad.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
17 books and over 13,000 pages.
You must have been reading some real doorstoppers this year :D
My resolution was to finish up the Discworld series, which I did in early 2017.
Wow well done. Reading all of Discworld sounds like a daunting task to me, even though all the books are quite short.

@Kalavan Your 2016 is like 3 of my years. How do you do it? How do you read so much?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I just wanted to read more than last year, which I did. I have lost count (the list is in my signature, I guess), but it is more than 50 books and possibly more than 60? So I did all right.

Edit: I am counting 65 in my signature. Probably will finish a few more before the end of the year.

Kalavan

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
Your 2016 is like 3 of my years. How do you do it? How do you read so much?
Mainly by commuting, I spent roughly 1,5 hour on trains every day, 5 days a week, and especially on the morning ride my travel partners aren't usually really up for a conversation.

Now that I think about it, last year I also had to travel by plane for work quite a lot, this year I made longer, but much less frequent flys

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I've just finished my 2017 resolution of reading 100 books - all of them fantasy, bar Lord of the Flies and Ready Player One, both of which could also be said to be close to fantasy, if nothing else.

I am not sure about the pages/word count though. Some books were big, like The Kingkiller Chronicles re-read, which I've done one or two times in the year, cannot remember. A full Stormlight Archive re-read, etc.

But I needed to make some adjustments in order to reach this goal, since I was sitting at around 35 books in June. So I've gone and read the Amber series, some Terry Pratchett books, etc.

I'd say that the average length of the things I've read should be about 15-20 hours/book, which is roughly 150-200k words I'd guess.

I've been trying to achieve this for three years now, this was my first success and I'd probably won't aim for it as fervently ever again, because as I've said, there were some limitations on my book choices when it came to length, which isn't all that fun.

I am not even sure if I've managed to read more than last year. I've finished 2016 with 86 books or something like that, but I haven't been skimming on the doorstoppers back then, so my word counts for 2016 and 2017 are probably not that great in their difference.

But having managed to read 100 books per years feels as quite the humbling experience, since it makes me grateful that my work and daily routines are enabling me to enjoy my favorite genre to that extent.

Knowing that I'd probably never be able to finish 200 books per year, I think that my yearly reading challenges would be of a more casual nature from now on. Which could only be for the better. :)

rudyjuly2

You must have been reading some real doorstoppers this year :D
I basically read the majority of the Wheel of Time this year. Most fantasy books are big and mine averaged 781 pages this year. Average rating was 3.9/5 that I gave (I like that stat). If I can read Oathbringer before December 31st I will probably match the page count from last year which took 26 books to do it.

I should probably read more sci-fi to keep things fresh. Iron Gold may do that for me this year.

Darth Tater

FWIW: I never make reading resolutions. But I went back and checked. In the last four months (dating back to August 14th when I began the final book of Memory Sorrow And Thorn and with the book I completed this evening) I have read exactly forty one (41) books in 4 months. But I’m estimating they only averaged between 400-450 pages.

Jakyro

My goal for 2017 was to finish MBotF and ME. I didn’t expect to finish both of them, but in the end I did. The reason I succeeded is especially because I didn’t read much else in fantasy.

In the end I’m pretty pleased with my result. I’ll probably finish one more book before the end of the year and will end with 18 books and around 12000 pages. An average of 670 pages / book. In average page count my best result. In Total page count only 2015 was better with 16000 pages

My goal for next year will be to read more books and from more diverse authors. I’ll probably also focus more on shorter books

Darth Tater

Ok. I had to check. It was easy as it was already laid out and I only needed to add and divide. My original estimate was decent. 17,022 pages over 4 months comes to an average of 415 pages per book.

I’m not pushing for any number nor are any goal set. For certain reasons I have lots of time on my hands and few other options. I pretty much hate TV and only own one to watch my local sports teams and a couple other select events. But I’ve always loved reading so it is a very pleasant and productive way to spend my time. :)

But back to challenges, The one thing I DO challenge myself with, given the quantity of books I read, is to find great Kindle deals. I also think it is fun. I use them to get books on my TBR list and to try new things that look interesting. I find most on my own but SUPER appreciate people that post in the Book Deals Thread because there are always books M that otherwise would slip through the cracks! In fact, Alucard has twice found specific books that she knew I really wanted and was kind enough to remember and give me a heads up. So I spent $3.98 total instead of $26.98 ! :)

Noor Al-Shanti

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Joining this site and goodreads really helped me get back to my old reading habits and read more books. My goodreads goal was to read 24 books (I thought 2 per month was a reasonable goal) and I ended up reading 27 that I posted on goodreads and a couple of other ones I never bothered adding there. Will have to increase the goal a bit for 2018 and see if I can read even more! It won't be anywhere near what others are managing on this site, though! O.O You're all amazing!

Peat

I read roughly 60 books this year it turns out, although I stopped keeping my GR updated after a while. Backfilling some reviews now.

Only 19,402 pages though.

Bierschneeman

my goal was 12 books. I read 75.

I don' t know about page count, but the top ten would average around 1,000 each (lots around 900, two well above 1,000) . and the smallest (i counted) would either be 91 pages, or 221 in epic poem format.

beyond that, a wide range of counts, between those two extremes.

Darth Tater

:wideyed:
FWIW: I never make reading resolutions. But I went back and checked. In the last four months (dating back to August 14th when I began the final book of Memory Sorrow And Thorn and with the book I completed this evening) I have read exactly forty one (41) books in 4 months. But I’m estimating they only averaged between 400-450 pages.
Something didn’t seem right about the 4 month period. I totally screwed up because the date listed was when I moved the note. NOT the date I began reading. So the 41 books was over a period of SEVEN months NOT FOUR months. :shy:

I apologize for the error. I realized just now that Oathbreaker is taking forever and then I remembered Green Angel Tower took 3 weeks so I figured it out.

So 41 books over seven months which still seems like a good number but it almost halves the page count average. It doesn’t make any difference to me one way or the other than unintentionally grossly misstating facts. I’m an idiot...but an honest one. Stuff like this is why I went on early medical retirement. :bag:

Andrew.J

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I failed miserably at mine. Read 32/40 books in 2017, a bit over 10000 pages. The second half of the year was quite shit on all fronts TBH. I think I've only read 5 books from August till now, as compared to the first half of the year with ~27. I started some as well, but never got to the end. Not necessarily because of the books, however. Either way, it's still some books more than the year before that, so - an improvement nonetheless.
Edit: but 600 pages less. Not an improvement after all, I guess. :confused:
Hoping I can up that in 2018.

Last edited: