2017 Writing Resolutions

Peat

Journeyed there and back again
I didn't even know Anti_Quated was published. I shall have to stick my nose into one of them. Hey, nice cover.

Jo - I think this is why I like writing on trains. My ability to distract myself there is greatly hindered.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Self-promotion feels uncomfortable to me; and I loathe solicitation when I'm on the receiving end, so it's something of a paradox that likely will render me a little-read obscurity.
How about posting in the Showcase thread eh? It's not really self-promoting, as I am the creator of the thread and requested input (semantics, I know, but still).

Theophania

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
From a reader's perspective, there's a big difference between:

"Hi, my name's Joe Author, this is my book - why don't you buy a copy, or maybe a copy for every member of your family unto the third and the fourth generation, and everyone you ever met, even that bloke you occasionally chat to on the bus to work? Now! Hey... you haven't bought my book yet - did you forget?"

and an author who sort of leaves their book out there, like in a thread specifically for that sort of thing, or in their forum signature. There's a big difference between making available and mugging somebody.

I hate being sales-mugged, but putting books where I can find them is different. After all, one has to find books somewhere.

Peat

Having mulled this one over thanks to topics elsewhere, I've decided to narrow down onto bits of process where I believe I could be stronger. These are

1) Filter Words
He heard the elephant, she smelled the elephant, they saw the elephant then they sat down...

I use a lot of filter words. I find them the easiest way to be clear. The problem is they're inelegant and distancing. Finding better ways to do it is a good step forwards (plus it makes it even clearer when I want to add a sense of distance; we've all had those moments when we're observers in our own life).

2) Storytelling

I'd like to think I have a good imagination, and can come up with story ideas, but a natural flair for making them into compelling stories isn't one of my strong points. Knowing when to have them triumph, when they should suffer and when they should grow, when to reveal the plot's secrets and when to hint at them... these are things I must work at. And I'm not quite sure how. Even the simple one of "Right, quite enough of that scene for now" can get me.

3) Clarity

I have a terrible failing in that I present an idea and often do not explain why. I don't stop to ask myself what do my readers need to see to accept my conclusion of a logical and awesome event. I'd like to improve on this. Admittedly, its a failing of first drafts, and first drafts are what I've done most of this year, so its possible I'm overstating this, but I believe concentrating on this aspect will do me good.

ExTended

I suppose I`d go with three resolutions here... or four now that I think about it.

1. Review my writing resources more often, preferably on daily basis - things like writing affirmations( yeah, I am one of those people :p ), also some writing advices and one-sentence techniques I find motivating or inspiring or useful to get you into the right mindset for the specific task you are about to devote your time into.

2. Spend more quality time writing and crafting good books. While my self-discipline when it comes to working is quite fine on the account of me being a marketing freelancer and small time entrepeneur, sometimes I still find myself being busy with doing nothing when it comes to my writing. So - better focus on getting things done. Also currently I am spending most of my time working on marketing or my pet small business projects, and that's fine, because my family gotta eat and such, but I do hope to be able to allocate at least 4 hours per day for writing in 2017. I am not a stranger to 12 hours work days either, but when it's 12 hours of hard thinking and hard decision making, it's challenging for me to get into a creative mood, but I am trying to find some kind of balance there. There is just so much thinking that needs to be done for everything. :)

3. Learn to think in English. I am obviously a non-native English person and while I know enough of the language to get by and read fiction in it, writing compeling texts in English isn't a walk in the park for me. The sentence structures in my native language are different, the tenses are somewhat different too( mainly the way in which we express them), my native language is richer in words than English is, but this only means that it's more concrete in the way we express things while English is more open to double meanings, easier to express metaphors with, more forgiving when it comes to everyday use, but a lot more complex when it comes to wielding it masterfully painting beautiful prose. I'd say my grasp of my native language is 10/10, but in English I'd give myself 5/10, 6/10, 7/10 tops if I am in a smarter mood. So I'd like to close the gap a little bit in 2017, but I am pretty sure it would take much longer than a year or two, realistically speaking. In the meantime I am writing in my native language and translating myself into English - makes my prose richer. But this is far from perfect a solution.

4. My last resolution is simple. Giving myself permission to be sub-par and finally finish some projects. I am plotting quite a lot and then I go and write. However, sometimes I realize that I am not completely satisfied with how the story goes and I go back to plotting where I change pretty much the whole concept. This both kills the work I've done and makes me warry of starting to work on projects until I am more confident in the story I've outlined. Basically it makes me write less, fret more, throw away passable work that ought to make me some money, because spending 100 hours writing something and throwing it away isn't how you keep your family fed and while I am all for the art, I like the idea of taking care of my family better.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. The whole thing sounds more whiny that I intended. The thing is - I am happy with my line of work, I love spending time working on marketing or on my businesses, but as a teenager I've dreamed of how I'd earn enough money one day to retire at 30 and spend the rest of my life writing books. While this dream isn't dead yet, I am pretty sure that's quite a stupid thing to do, so I need to be reasonable and make myself time to write in my day-to-day schedule, instead of waiting for some magical moment where I won't have any distractions. So the general idea is this - give myself more writing hours, get more writing done in those hours, get less throw-away writing done in those hours so that more of the things I write would end-up being useful for my career. :)

I probably should imagine my books being just one long forum post - I am quite good at filling 1 000 words in those, rambling and all, but it counts! :)

Last edited:

Maark Abbott

1. Secure a publisher for Incarnate. This may be happening soon anyway...
2. Continue working on the first draft of Manifest. I'm about 45% done already, sitting somewhere about 90-95k words.
3. Ideally, finish the first draft of Manifest. This is achievable, if I get my finger out of my arse. Some parts I'm very happy with (Kaenna's training, the airship battle), other aspects (the siege of Stanne's Pass) need working on. But I'll get there.

Noor Al-Shanti

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Posting here in an attempt to make myself do this... there's a novel I was writing last year. And then my day job suddenly became a lot more ... demanding ... so I stopped writing the novel and started doing random little short stories here and there. And it's been SO HARD to pick it back up.

The thing is... this novel specifically involves quite a bit of research and I'm doing the research as I go because there are many decisions I'm making as I go about where I want the characters to go next - I like that it's growing organically but that just makes it 20 times harder to do. Usually I have all the key events planned out and let the details fill themselves out as I go.

So my goal/resolution for this year is to get the thing done. I think I'm about a third of the way through. And I've been trying to get back into it for a few months but I keep starting, writing a chapter, and then stopping. Also, I keep getting distracted by wanting to "promote" the short stories I have published and work on getting the already completed novel ready to roll out.

Currently I'm researching for the next chapter. Wish me luck! lol

*goes back to research*

Noor Al-Shanti

Yeah so... that didn't work out. Months later I'm still only a few chapters ahead of where I was when I posted in May...
Maybe I just need to put a time limit for myself and just get it done. So here are my 2018 writing goals:

1) Get novel (let's call it historical novel for now) done BEFORE releasing fantasy novel (Deadline: May 1st)
2) Edit, find betas for, and plan release of Fantasy Novel
3) Release fantasy novel
4) Edit that fun sci-fi novella and expand into novel

Noor Al-Shanti

Yeah so... that didn't work out. Months later I'm still only a few chapters ahead of where I was when I posted in May...
Maybe I just need to put a time limit for myself and just get it done. So here are my 2018 writing goals:

1) Get novel (let's call it historical novel for now) done BEFORE releasing fantasy novel (Deadline: May 1st)

I figured I had been complaining about it here so I might as well post here with a happy update! I've finally been able to get back intro writing this novel regularly. It has meant not reading anything for the past two months or so since I posted here, but hey, if I can finish the novel by May 1st or even June 1st it will be worth it. I've been writing regularly and I even managed to write just about 18200 words this past week since it was March Break here. Yay!

This achievement almost makes up for the fact that the March Break is over and I have to wake up early for work tomorrow. lol

Anti_Quated

I've been writing regularly and I even managed to write just about 18200 words this past week since it was March Break here. Yay!
Great work, Noor.
I'd optimistically convinced myself of busting out the tail-end 40,000 odd to finish my Anaimon sequel over the Yule holiday break. I failed to break even a miserly 10k as we were on a family road trip. Maybe this year.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
  1. Get the damn first draft finished (before the end of this year).
  2. Get the damn story edited.
  3. Get the damn book published, preferably before August 2017.
  4. Rinse and repeat...
I'm pretty serious about these resolutions, so we'll see how it goes. :)
According to Goodreads, we seem to have similar taste in books, and especially in UF. Are you writing something along that genre?

Tanniel

I forgot I posted a resolution here until I saw this thread pop up. I'm glad to say that my resolution held; I finished the draft of the sequel in my series last year as intended. I even started another book near the end of the year (much shorter, standalone, inspired by Arabian Tales), which I have 99% finished by now. I guess my resolution for 2018 will be to complete a first draft of the third book in my main series, and if I finish a draft of any other standalone books, that'll be a plus.

Noor Al-Shanti

Great work, Noor.
I'd optimistically convinced myself of busting out the tail-end 40,000 odd to finish my Anaimon sequel over the Yule holiday break. I failed to break even a miserly 10k as we were on a family road trip. Maybe this year.
Finishing even close to 10K is pretty amazing if you were on a road trip! Hope you get it done this year! :)

I forgot I posted a resolution here until I saw this thread pop up. I'm glad to say that my resolution held; I finished the draft of the sequel in my series last year as intended. I even started another book near the end of the year (much shorter, standalone, inspired by Arabian Tales), which I have 99% finished by now. I guess my resolution for 2018 will be to complete a first draft of the third book in my main series, and if I finish a draft of any other standalone books, that'll be a plus.
Sequel? Would this be the sequel to The Eagle's Flight? *gets excited*

Matticus Primal

Why is this the first I'm hearing of this Arabian Tales book?

Tanniel

Why is this the first I'm hearing of this Arabian Tales book?
Ah, it's very different from my main book series (single protagonist, limited narrative perspective, unreliable narrator and such), so I've been keeping it quiet until I felt it was finished and turned out the way it should. Now I just gotta figure out what to do with it next...