2018 Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
a couple, few questions and or comments.
mostly things that will come up naturally with or without list.

graphic novel
a great way to start an argument while surrounded by comic readers is to attempt define this. especially since the dictionaries don't provide strict definitions.here are some that apply to some people.
options,
1. a thick wordy book with sparse words weaved into the pictures
2. a trade, collections of comic books (Neil gaimens Sandman)
3. a collection of comic strips
4. a comic book
5. a picture book

do rereads count.?

#26 is going to be real hard since I just did several. but more to the point I can publish "see spot run" with 1000 pages, depending on density of words of the particular publication this can be all over the place. we just going off the goodreads 119 books over 1000? (hint hint everybody)

book, with tom.....whats the series with the unbeliever?

Kalavan

Yes, rereads can count, don't see why not.
Guess that for # 26 I'll have to re-read for the fourth time The Count of Montecristo. Unless that a character called Thom does count for # 52.

As for the rest, I have just 1 question: What have we done to deserve challenge 34?

EDIT: 23. A book in BFBs top 25 fantasy list. - Damn, I've finished The Night Circus - lovely book, by the way - just on the 30th of December

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hahaha .. 34 was included as a deterrent to completion of the full challenge. ;)

Bierschneeman

Hahaha .. 34 was included as a deterrent to completion of the full challenge. ;)
is it that bad?

side note
I have determined the minimum number of books to be 46. the exception being that if somone finds a 5 part series (4, 3, 2) where the author changes each book. it is potentially 36.

(I would also say if you short stories come from a multiauthor book, it's likely 47)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is extremely do-able. More do-able than I thought it would be (without having done the maths).

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

Bierschneeman

also side bets/challenges
no prizes, just bragging rights. add if you want
not to be taken seriously.
not to detract from actual challenge

A. book from 1958
B. 1948
C. 1938
D. 1928
E. 1918
F. 1908
G. 1800s
H. 1898
I. 1888
J. 2180 (or 18ad)
K. 2118 (or18bc)
L. from louisiana (18th state)
K. from 18 countries
M. from 18 states, or counties, territories, provinces. depending on your country's legal divisions.
N. from 18 languages
O. with 18 in title.
P. with 180 pages
Q. number 18 on an official BFB 25 list.
R. a book read 18 times in 2018
S. read a book that can't apply to any of the official 52 challenges
T. read 18 books
U. read a bad book
V. read a book about 18 wheelers
W. read two books with 9 in the title
X. read a 18 year old book
Y. read a book written by an 18 year old
Z. figure out how many times 18 is written on thisvthread

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Suppose it's not too late to make a few strategic changes, just to make it a touch more challenging. Leave it with me ;)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Suppose it's not too late to make a few strategic changes, just to make it a touch more challenging. Leave it with me ;)
Don't touch anything please. It's great as it is.
Added challenges can be just bonuses that are not obligatory to finish as Beersnowman said :D

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't touch anything please. It's great as it is.
Added challenges can be just bonuses that are not obligatory to finish as Beersnowman said :D
Yeah no problem, I'd kinda decided not to since posting that. No need to mess with perfection ;)

jo zebedee

Do I have to reread my rereads? :D

A book a week isn't doable for me, sadly :( not that I don't read fast, I just have no time!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not that I'm competitive or anything, but I've just struck off 4 challenges with my first completed book of the year!