2018 Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
Planning to challenge myself and knock off two categories with one blow but I’ve searched all over. Nothing even close. I’m looking for a (1) self published (2) stand alone (3) science fiction book (4) by a female author. (Must contain all four elements)

Caveat: NOT looking for vampires, heavy romance, post-apocalyptic, YA, anti-hero, or assassin. If the author is unknown I don’t want to spend over $3.99 unless highly recommended. Even if one just shows potential please help me out. It would be greatly appreciated!

Khartun

Lindsay Buroker is known for her fantasy series but she has a sci-fi one out as well. And the first book is free.

I have not read it so I don't know anything about it but it has good reviews.

Star Nomad

Edit: Sorry, I missed the stand alone part. It's a series.

Bierschneeman

just counted. I read 74 books this year. only 25 counted towards 38 challenges (subtracted the thirty authors)

Darth Tater

why does it need to be stand alone?
challenge 48 does not specify it needs to be.
Because I already have some series going and
prefer that because I’m not so big on sci fi these days and don’t want to commit to an entire series. I’m just basically taking a large detour (which I haven’t done before) solely to check off two boxes (self pub sci fi, and sci fi by a female author).

Darth Tater

Ah, OK. I thought it was Alien Invasion.
Maybe I’m wrong. I thought they took over the world and it was about a family trying to survive. I read one of Jo’s other books and really liked it but the subject matter of this one didn’t appeal to me, despite the fact that it’s likely really good.

jo zebedee

First place I checked days ago. But it’s basically post-apoplectic.
Well, it's technically post invasion not post apolcalyptic. But it is dark and, yes, my little family are battling for survival in it. Having said that, it's by far my most popular book. And it is self published, currently a standalone, and I am a female. I should go advertise my services to the whole thread. :D :D

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I finally got around to updating my list. Just 13 completed. That's the disadvantage of reading Malazan I suppose: it takes a long time to finish a single installment and it sucks if you want to tick reading challenges of the list.

@TomTB: two questions:

Time travel: can we consider Malazan characters going back to the time of the Eres'al and Imass as time travel? In some dream sequences characters actually go there (for example the Mhybe), but I'm not sure if you'd consider this actual time travel.
Character with the name of Tom: would Thom Thissy (soldier in the Bonehunters, marine division) count?
Hhmm. I'm going to go with no on both fronts. Thom is almost Tom but not quite (just like Tim) and by time travel I very much had "back to the future" kind of time travel in mind, not dream sequences in a fantasy setting kinda time travel. Sorry Silv :-(

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Hhmm. I'm going to go with no on both fronts. Thom is almost Tom but not quite (just like Tim) and by time travel I very much had "back to the future" kind of time travel in mind, not dream sequences in a fantasy setting kinda time travel. Sorry Silv :-(
That's harsh man. But okay, I'll try to find a book with a Tom. Mayhap I'll publish my own post Apocalyptic short story (less than 200 words) about a stern guy who used to be a forum moderator before the meteor hit. That would scratch off quite a number of challenges from the list.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's harsh man. But okay, I'll try to find a book with a Tom. Mayhap I'll publish my own post Apocalyptic short story (less than 200 words) about a stern guy who used to be a forum moderator before the meteor hit. That would scratch off quite a number of challenges from the list.
Wow, ok. Sure the world will be in safe hands!

Darth Tater

Let’s say an author writes three successful self published books after being turned down by multiple publishers. The books catch on and a few years later a publisher jumps on the bandwagon. Are the books still considered self published for the Challenge? I would argue yes because pretty much most of the best books would be otherwise excluded and we would be relegated to reading either crappy books or as yet undiscovered gems (but the odds are negligible).

I’m not saying that I FINALLY found a really good book that I really like as a result of searching due to this Challenge or that now that I’ve found it I plan to read it regardless. This is merely a hypothetical, of course.

Hopefully, you don’t wake up with a moody hangover Sunday morning when you see this.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
My main thought regarding the self pub challenge is to try and get people to read books by current forum members that have been released via this route (self pub). Doesn't have to be a forum member though, obviously.

So I think if we say it has to be a book(s) which is 'currently' self published then that should hopefully clear things up. Ben has an indie list on the main site which could help as a starting point, possibly? Not sure if there is a similar list on the SF site though.

There's also the Mark Lawrence challenge if struggling for ideas..

ExTended

Reading a self-published audiobook is another option. The right narrator could enhance the story a lot. For instance Dawn of Wander by Jonathan Renshaw, narrated by Michael J. Sullivan is one heck of coming of age story. You could also go Wolf of the North for a Blood Song-like story in a more compact and not so well executed, but still quite satisfying package. Michael J. Sullivan could give an extra star or two to every book he is narrating, a true master of the craft. :)

Or you could experiment a bit with Awaken Online: Catharsis by Travis Bagwell, which I'd say is on par with Ready Player One as far as immersive LitRPG stories go. In fact - I am inclined to give Travis Bagwell many more regards for cohesive story-telling compared to the Ernest Cline for example. The audiobook on this one is a pure delight.

Darth Tater

My main thought regarding the self pub challenge is to try and get people to read books by current forum members that have been released via this route (self pub). Doesn't have to be a forum member though, obviously.

So I think if we say it has to be a book(s) which is 'currently' self published then that should hopefully clear things up. Ben has an indie list on the main site which could help as a starting point, possibly? Not sure if there is a similar list on the SF site though.

There's also the Mark Lawrence challenge if struggling for ideas..
OK, thanks. If something appears fitting my particular interest I’ll sweep it off the sci fi list. It’s the only category I’ve searched for and spent way too much time doing so. No biggie. There are 15-20 other boxes I will leave unchecked anyhow. Funny, I swept right over the fantasy indie books. Just now realized it was a category too.

@ExTended
Thanks. I will check those out.