2018 Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread

jo zebedee

Journeyed there and back again
My main thought regarding the self pub challenge is to try and get people to read books by current forum members that have been released via this route (self pub). Doesn't have to be a forum member though, obviously.

So I think if we say it has to be a book(s) which is 'currently' self published then that should hopefully clear things up. Ben has an indie list on the main site which could help as a starting point, possibly? Not sure if there is a similar list on the SF site though.

There's also the Mark Lawrence challenge if struggling for ideas..
So, would something like my Abendau books count - were originally with a publisher, now self published. Or is that further muddying the waters? If so, there are quite a few I could snaffle up as I know quite a few writing mates who have taken their rights back. It's quite the thing these days. :D

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, would something like my Abendau books count - were originally with a publisher, now self published. Or is that further muddying the waters? If so, there are quite a few I could snaffle up as I know quite a few writing mates who have taken their rights back. It's quite the thing these days. :D
You're just confusing matters now Jo :mad::mad::D

Darth Tater

@TomTB
What an ironic coincidence. After going through dozens of books unsuccessfully to fill in two categories. I came across one book yesterday that may check off one category, but regardless it looks really good. “Just One Damned Thing After Another” by Jodi Taylor.

Scrolling down the Challenge list today to edit something I noticed you listed a Jodi Taylor book. I just checked and hadn’t realized my book was the first in part of a long series. I think yours was in the series too so I assume you really like it?? Can book one be read as a standalone? I’m reluctant to start another series at this time.

Darth Tater

Each book stands alone, Darth - but the later books benefit from knowing the earlier ones. It’s a great fun series - one of my favs (but not self published!)
Sounds like a great book and good news on the stand alone part! I’m convinced. Thanks. All her books are $3.99 now. Don’t know if that’s a temporary deal or not so not taking chances. I bought it. From what I can see it isn’t pure nonsense like Hitchhikers Guide which I hated (fingers crossed)?

I knew the self pub part but i can use it for female sci fi. Regardless,I don’t care about the Challenge on this one. :)

jo zebedee

Now I'm definitely picking up a Jodi Taylor book. Too many recommendations here to not check it out!
They are silly but they are great fun. I think the first one is the weakest of the series, but still good fun. She's certainly on my to-buy list as and when the next one comes out and the next time I have some spare change I'll pick up her second series since Tom recommends it too.

Is is pure nonsense? Well the sf element of it is, but the history tends to be well researched (based on my limited 'A' level knowledge, I'll confirm it to you all when she sets anything over here, but certainly the Arthurian one I read didn't make me grimace) and that's really her focus - the sf is just a mechanism to get her there.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now I wouldn't class the St Mary's books as SF .. I've listed as a fantasy read. It's got god(s) and alternative worlds in it. I know Jo listed it as sf though. Which one of us is right?

jo zebedee

Now I wouldn't class the St Mary's books as SF .. I've listed as a fantasy read. It's got god(s) and alternative worlds in it. I know Jo listed it as sf though. Which one of us is right?
It doesn’t have an alternative world but an alternative England after a war. It has time travel with some explanation of technology. I don’t remember any Gods. I think it’s sf. :)

Darth Tater

It doesn’t have an alternative world but an alternative England after a war. It has time travel with some explanation of technology. I don’t remember any Gods. I think it’s sf. :)
Yeah. Not HARD sci-fi but without the time travel there is no story. That’s how I found it. So I go with you based on what you listed (personal interests aside). I don’t see the difference between it and H.G. Wells Time Machine. Because the critters were more like Fantasy stuff and TimeMachine is on your BFB Top 25 category. HOWEVER, Tom, YOU, set up the Challenge so if it slides on what you consider a technicality, and/or not what you had in mind, I’m totally good and will just enjoy (hopefully) it anyhow! That’s the bottom line so I will go with your call.

Last edited:

Bierschneeman

I am not sure what you guys are on, but I'll throw my hat in.

wells is a lot more sci-fi than just his time traveling. the book is a giant sociopolitical commentary, in response to Moore's Utopia. he also broached the topic of nature vs nurture as the basis to the cultural structure in the future. he envisioned az world where the widening distance between the classes in this country would form as caste system forcing a divergent evolution spelling the doom of the aristocrats by their meat eating lowers.

I have seen this redone as dimorphic evolution instead, where it is is one species but the differences in the book were along gender lines.

anyway my point being wells is much more sci-fi than most certainly miles more sci-fi than star wars, flash gordon , or John carter

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wasn't referring to Wells, I was talking about the St Mary's Chronicles series by Jodi Taylor. Wasn't comparing to Star Wars either, just giving another example where some people's opinions differ on genre placement.

Darth Tater

@TomTB

Good deal on Ancillary Justice by Anne Lecke today only It can be read as a standalone but is also part of a series. It is on the top 25 SF books list. But for Challenge purposes I need to read the entire series?

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
@TomTB

Good deal on Ancillary Justice by Anne Lecke today only It can be read as a standalone but is also part of a series. It is on the top 25 SF books list. But for Challenge purposes I need to read the entire series?
Just Ancillary Justice is listed, so just reading this will tick the challenge!

ExTended

Is Earthsea 5 or 6 books in total? I need something for the 6 books series thingy, but I am not sure if this would even count.

Jakyro

Is Earthsea 5 or 6 books in total? I need something for the 6 books series thingy, but I am not sure if this would even count.
It’s 6 books. I’m also reading it now in order to thick off that one in the challenge. I’m currently reading the last book and should finish it after the weekend. Honestly, this has been a very bumpy ride. Some of the books were decent but others were plain boring.

Maybe it’s me and I’m just not really into older books, but I feel the series is a bit outdated. Maybe you’re more into this kind of stuff.