2018 Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread

Noor Al-Shanti

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
It’s 6 books. I’m also reading it now in order to thick off that one in the challenge. I’m currently reading the last book and should finish it after the weekend. Honestly, this has been a very bumpy ride. Some of the books were decent but others were plain boring.

Maybe it’s me and I’m just not really into older books, but I feel the series is a bit outdated. Maybe you’re more into this kind of stuff.

It's been quite a while since I read the Earthsea books. I'm not even sure if I finished them all, but I do remember being a bit underwhelmed and bored. Not too much... just... it wasn't the most gripping stuff. I remember thinking I liked reading her commentary on writing more than her actual writing haha. But UK LeGuin had a newer fantasy series that was, in my opinion, a bit better than Earthsea. There were maybe three books in that series...

ExTended

Journeyed there and back again
Damn it, I've missed making it 48/52 in 2018 for 41 minutes! But I guess a draw in a well-fought battle is better anyway. :)

@Bierschneeman was more deserving of the win anyway, considering how I have the unfair advantage of being able to read while I'm working.

I've finished the year with 101 books total, which is 1 more book that my initial goal and 3 books short of my secondary goal for 2 books per week.

And Happy New Year to you all filthy dragons and dragonesses! I wish you life, health, happiness and endless precious memories with your loved ones, the rest would figure itself out, but I wish you all the best in 'the rest' as well. :)

kenubrion

Happy New Year peeps! Let's keep it going.

And a hearty Congratulations to Allan Batchelder 'ABatch' for getting picked up by a publisher -- Crossroad Press -- and his books are being reformatted and rereleased under their banner. The ebooks are already out for the Immortal Treachery
series. Way to go Allan!

Last edited:

Bierschneeman

for 5 months last year, i too was able to read at work via audiobook. But, with taking over operations more and more, i lost the ability. Too much multitasking.

PS my final entry was a Christmas gift.
Gose is a book on the Gose style of beer published in September. Since my moratorium on reading time is restricted to beer texts (given i am now doing my job and my former supervisors, as the only brewer here) if i did not recieve that book, you would have won.

I am happy to tie you.

Damn it, I've missed making it 48/52 in 2018 for 41 minutes! But I guess a draw in a well-fought battle is better anyway. :)

@Bierschneeman was more deserving of the win anyway, considering how I have the unfair advantage of being able to read while I'm working.

I've finished the year with 101 books total, which is 1 more book that my initial goal and 3 books short of my secondary goal for 2 books per week.

And Happy New Year to you all filthy dragons and dragonesses! I wish you life, health, happiness and endless precious memories with your loved ones, the rest would figure itself out, but I wish you all the best in 'the rest' as well. :)