2018 Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread

Andrew.J

Journeyed there and back again
I'm in!
Can't promise not to include at least a few non-English books, I'm quite pressed by my compulsory readings this time around.

Bierschneeman

Just joined and man... Dragonflight checks off a lot of those challenges.

I've read a few volumes of the Attack on Titan manga and it ticked off a few of those as well...
I just read that as well. if you read to the third book in the trilogy also checks off three more

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
@TomTB
Is it ok for a 'character named Tom' to be a side character?
There's a side character named Tom Rogan (husband of Beverly - one of the main characters) in It.
I could scratch off one more challenge with It if side characters are ok.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
@TomTB
Is it ok for a 'character named Tom' to be a side character?
There's a side character named Tom Rogan (husband of Beverly - one of the main characters) in It.
I could scratch off one more challenge with It if side characters are ok.
Yeah, any character, doesn't need to be MC :)

Alucard

Staff member
Is this challenge applicable to speculative fiction books only (and graphic novels) or any kind of book is ok? I'm reading a non-fiction that could strike off a couple of challenges, but I don't know if non-fiction is ok for this challenge.

It's fine either way Tom ;)

Khartun

Tom, on the series do novellas count. Specifically, I'm looking at reading Los Nefilim by Teresa Frohock.

Bierschneeman

No, sorry, full length books only for the series.
the series is going to be the tough one for me. I just so happen to be reading one with five and one with three. but have to reread "mort" which I read last year to make the five count.
:(
beyond that I doubt I'll do any other series

Alucard

Staff member
Middle-grade fantasy has some fantastic works that are fun to read even if you're not a middle-grader. And would be pretty easy to finish series challenges with it, because the books are usually shorter than 'adult fantasy'.

For example Wizard of Earthsea was published in 1968, is under 200 pages, part of a 6 books series, was written by a female fantasy & SF author and if you never read Le Guin before (like me), well you can scratch one more challenge.

I also have a shelf for books under 250 pages if you need some inspiration. A lot of them are under 200 too.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/6543820-m--chan?shelf=under-250-pages

Khartun

Middle-grade fantasy has some fantastic works that are fun to read even if you're not a middle-grader. And would be pretty easy to finish series challenges with it, because the books are usually shorter than 'adult fantasy'.

For example Wizard of Earthsea was published in 1968, is under 200 pages, part of a 6 books series, was written by a female fantasy & SF author and if you never read Le Guin before (like me), well you can scratch one more challenge.

I also have a shelf for books under 250 pages if you need some inspiration. A lot of them are under 200 too.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/6543820-m--chan?shelf=under-250-pages
I just read Wizard of Earthsea for the challenge. I can tell you I won't be reading the rest of the series.

Speaking of reading the series, does reading 6 books from a longer series like Dresden work?

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just read Wizard of Earthsea for the challenge. I can tell you I won't be reading the rest of the series.

Speaking of reading the series, does reading 6 books from a longer series like Dresden work?
Sorry, the idea was that you had to read a series with x books in it (for the series challenges), otherwise you could tick them all off just by reading one longer series.

Alucard

Staff member
What was the issue for you?

These older series can be more of a hit or miss with modern audience.