2018 Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
i was thinking “no way am I going to come across a character named Tom. I do remember recently a great character called
“Bad Tom” in the Traitor Son Cycle named “Bad Tom”.But that was last year.

So I started my list today. There is a character named Brendan Doyle in The Anubis Gates. He time travels and by necessity is given the alias *cough* Dumb *cough* Tom!

I only share this because I thought it funny I found him the first day and to poke fun about the “Dumb” part (Sorry Tom :hilarious:) that always must precede his name due to his incognito role. But now I’m wondering. Dumb Tom is only his name in the 1805 world he jumps into. Brendan was his birth name in the original 1983 world. Does that still count for the challenge?

Bierschneeman

Have you seen the 1988 movie killer clowns from outer space? That is the dumbest thing ever but somehow CREEPY!!
I own both Killer clowns, and plan 9.
but refuse to watch Manos Hand of fate, And Troll 2

also I'd say the worst movie I have ever seen is "Faster pussycat Kill Kill Kill"

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
52. A book with a character called Tom.
You'd think that's the hardest of them all, but then you realize that you are currently reading a book called Senlin Ascends and Senlin is actually the last name of this interesting character, and people keep occasionally calling him Tom for some reason or another... A grin is due. And a sheepish one, because it took you two days of reading until you've noticed it.

If you're contemplating on adding a 53th point being "Read a book with a character named Maria", please be kind enough to do it before I am done with this book. :)

Darth Tater

You'd think that's the hardest of them all, but then you realize that you are currently reading a book called Senlin Ascends and Senlin is actually the last name of this interesting character, and people keep occasionally calling him Tom for some reason or another... A grin is due. And a sheepish one, because it took you two days of reading until you've noticed it.

If you're contemplating on adding a 53th point being "Read a book with a character named Maria", please be kind enough to do it before I am done with this book. :)

Tom B put the kibosh on my request to use an official alias “Dumb Tom”! after time traveling back a century and a half so “calling a guy Tom for some reason” probably doesn’t cut the mustard either. So that character is probably not the droid you are looking for. ;) Like you, I also thought that would be a hard one until I realized he was in a book I am currently reading. Well, at least I THOUGHT he might be.

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Tom B put the kibosh on my request to use an official alias “Dumb Tom”! after time traveling back a century and a half so “calling a guy Tom for some reason” probably doesn’t cut the mustard either. So that character is probably not the droid you are looking for. ;) Like you, I also thought that would be a hard one until I realized he was in a book I am currently reading. Well, at least I THOUGHT he might be.
From the ashes, a name shall be woken,
A Tom from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the hero forgotten,
The Tom-less again shall have king.

The poets have sung about this moment in the prophecies of old. :)

Bierschneeman

Rightio. Thought you'd be happy to hear that the Tom in my book is referred to as Retarded Tom.. definitely a theme here..
I read a book as a kid with a "bad tom" wish I could remember which book so I could read it now.

side note I have not changed my reading habits... yet, for challenge purposes. so I'm surprised at my progress. but I'm sure I'll read all 30 authors and more than one "7 by a single author" long before I complete this.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read a book as a kid with a "bad tom" wish I could remember which book so I could read it now.

side note I have not changed my reading habits... yet, for challenge purposes. so I'm surprised at my progress. but I'm sure I'll read all 30 authors and more than one "7 by a single author" long before I complete this.
Yes but will you read Dinosaur Lords???? ;)

Bierschneeman

Yes but will you read Dinosaur Lords???? ;)
no.

but it will likely not be my only challenge skipped, my massive progress is not indicative of me trying or attempting to complete challenges, rather happenstance as it was all stuff I was planning on reading this month anyway, the philosophy was planned for this year instead and I read early for reasons. although the philosophy didn't finish any challenges at all.

on a side note I just happened upon a tom today.

you'll be happy to know to know he is in an immortal classic.
but unhappy to know in chapter one he establishes himself as a reactionary variety of white supremacist.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
no.

but it will likely not be my only challenge skipped, my massive progress is not indicative of me trying or attempting to complete challenges, rather happenstance as it was all stuff I was planning on reading this month anyway, the philosophy was planned for this year instead and I read early for reasons. although the philosophy didn't finish any challenges at all.

on a side note I just happened upon a tom today.

you'll be happy to know to know he is in an immortal classic.
but unhappy to know in chapter one he establishes himself as a reactionary variety of white supremacist.
Good. That was the aim of the challenge. Just a bit of fun that folk can complete via their usual reading schedule.

Suppose white supremacist tom is a step in the right direction ...

Darth Tater

When I signed up I figured I would likely knock off 18 of 52 boxes. I’ve already got 10 in the first couple weeks. I’ll likely read dozens of more books the rest of this year but from here on in I suspect most of the rest will just recheck the same boxes over and over. I’d like to hit 25 just for kicks. But I really DO hope one has a “Tom” in it and no way I pick up Dinosaur Lords. I looked it up out of curiosity thinking it would be garbage and the reviews confirmed it. But Dinosaurs in a fantasy setting? There was odd potential there...

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Tom Rogan from It is a wife beater (Beverly Marsh) and a psycho.
Sorry Tom! :sorry:

Hand on heart, it's the best epic fantasy book with dinosaurs in that I've ever read!
Is it also simultaneously THE WORST epic fantasy book with dinosaurs that you have ever read? :D