2018 Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
Right I'm starting to get a complex now! :shifty:
You don’t deserve this abuse. Never too late to change it to...say...Radcliffe, Kevin, James, Percy, Walter, or Albert. John is every bit as common as Tom. If you want to make it challenging how about Jonas? *cough* Not sure why THOSE particular names popped into my head. *cough*

Darth Tater

I'm Thomas, so yes.
Oh. I “forgot” to tell you. Thomas is crazy. He sees another invisible Thomas that he calls
“Thomas 2” following him around. Sometimes he tells people to be careful not to bump into him accidentally. I don’t think there’s been one complimentary Tom in the bunch. They are either bad, spouse abusers, dumb, retarded, or crazy. I can certainly understand you getting a complex over this. You’re looking pretty bad at the moment. Definitely a pattern here.

Well, if someone reads a WOT book there is Thom Merrilin. Great character. Cool dude. Tom Sawyer. Naughty but fun. Uncle Tom. A hero even though the term is used in a derogatory way. Tom Thumb. That way one can knock off more than one category. Book under 200 pages, Tom, 2 word title, etc. Tom Marvelo in HP?

Hope this helps you raise your self esteem.

Bierschneeman

Oh. I “forgot” to tell you. Thomas is crazy. He sees another invisible Thomas that he calls
“Thomas 2” following him around. Sometimes he tells people to be careful not to bump into him accidentally. I don’t think there’s been one complimentary Tom in the bunch. They are either bad, spouse abusers, dumb, retarded, or crazy. I can certainly understand you getting a complex over this. You’re looking pretty bad at the moment. Definitely a pattern here.

Well, if someone reads a WOT book there is Thom Merrilin. Great character. Cool dude. Tom Sawyer. Naughty but fun. Uncle Tom. A hero even though the term is used in a derogatory way. Tom Thumb. That way one can knock off more than one category. Book under 200 pages, Tom, 2 word title, etc. Tom Marvelo in HP?

Hope this helps you raise your self esteem.
note the spouse abuser is also a white supremacist, adulterer, and bearer of false witness (for murder) who gave his mistress a bloody nose.

Khartun

@TomTB, the challenge says:

48. A self-published SF book.
49. A self-published fantasy series.

Should they both be series or books or should it be like it is, a fantasy series and a SF book?

Darth Tater

An animal that “talks”

Do you mean the animal’s lips move and communicates to a person in the persons language verbally.

Or can the animal communicate telepathically and carry on a conversation with a person in the persons language?

Maybe later an animal in my book will speak words verbally, I’m only halfway through. But just in case...

Bierschneeman

An animal that “talks”

Do you mean the animal’s lips move and communicates to a person in the persons language verbally.

Or can the animal communicate telepathically and carry on a conversation with a person in the persons language?

Maybe later an animal in my book will speak words verbally, I’m only halfway through. But just in case...
I didn't even think of that, Dragonflight has been sitting on my list since week one for telepathically talking dragons.

edit , just looked it up in dictionary, definition two is to" express in words".
so that makes me feel better, will wait for judgement.

Last edited:

Khartun

An animal that “talks”

I hope telepathically works. Oberon was on my list.

Bierschneeman

did not realize I had a south American author sitting on my shelf until I read it just recently.
As such I have updated the "classic Literature from every country" thread. post two now has a list of countries represented in the thread organized by continent/region.

its not too helpful, but it might assist. perhaps

Darth Tater

After I completed The Bear And The Nightingale I realized it was worth 4 categories on the list. So I’m up to 15 and I originally predicted 18. But I only expect to knock off around 3 more over the next 11 months. Would like to reach 20 so maybe I can? But I refuse to change my reading habits. So that MIGHT keep me out of the cellar when 12/31/19 rolls around. I cannot possibly compete for the title without reading lots of books I normally wouldn’t but the important thing is I’m supporting Tom’s efforts and enjoying myself in the process! I think the most entertaining part for me is bugging Tom with all of these questions. I’m hoping it makes him squirm but would imagine that in reality he takes 5 seconds to toss a coin and then another 30 seconds to type his answer. :sour:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wake up each day in the hope that I'll be able to impart a little bit of my infinite wisdom in response to one of your countless weird and wonderful questions.

Darth Tater

I wake up each day in the hope that I'll be able to impart a little bit of my infinite wisdom in response to one of your countless weird and wonderful questions.
I really appreciate that. :)
* Damnit!!! :mad: Attention all grey matter! Abort plan “A”. Repeat. ABORT plan “A”...Immediately Implement plan “B” : incessant complaining and whining strategy.*

Bierschneeman

After I completed The Bear And The Nightingale I realized it was worth 4 categories on the list. So I’m up to 15 and I originally predicted 18. But I only expect to knock off around 3 more over the next 11 months. Would like to reach 20 so maybe I can? But I refuse to change my reading habits. So that MIGHT keep me out of the cellar when 12/31/19 rolls around. I cannot possibly compete for the title without reading lots of books I normally wouldn’t but the important thing is I’m supporting Tom’s efforts and enjoying myself in the process! I think the most entertaining part for me is bugging Tom with all of these questions. I’m hoping it makes him squirm but would imagine that in reality he takes 5 seconds to toss a coin and then another 30 seconds to type his answer. :sour:
I am impressed you have so much predictive achievements. I haven't a clue. like you I am not changing habits, so I'm shocked I'm at 25 now. but my reading habits are so eclectic I have no idea what's next. I have a list of to dos that I might get to this year, and I am working towards, but I tangent often.

example I am clearly marathoning authors, moving up decade by decade with sci-fi, cleaning out old books on my bookshelf.beyond that I know I intend to read Cervantes this year andam preprepping by reading other Spanish classics ( stumbled into argentinian) Shakespeare was referenced often in Borges, and Joyce so now I am reading complete plays of Shakespeare ( I have been putting it off since college) the nonfiction about Petersburg, referenced alexander pushkin, and nikolai gregorei so now I am rereading their works.

really I have no clue

Darth Tater

I am impressed you have so much predictive achievements. I haven't a clue. like you I am not changing habits, so I'm shocked I'm at 25 now. but my reading habits are so eclectic I have no idea what's next. I have a list of to dos that I might get to this year, and I am working towards, but I tangent often.

example I am clearly marathoning authors, moving up decade by decade with sci-fi, cleaning out old books on my bookshelf.beyond that I know I intend to read Cervantes this year andam preprepping by reading other Spanish classics ( stumbled into argentinian) Shakespeare was referenced often in Borges, and Joyce so now I am reading complete plays of Shakespeare ( I have been putting it off since college) the nonfiction about Petersburg, referenced alexander pushkin, and nikolai gregorei so now I am rereading their works.

really I have no clue
Yeah, I have a pretty good idea but if my reading habits were like yours no way. You’re all over the board. I think the smart money is on you filling out the most categories! :)

I forgot what @TomTB is awarding. I think it was $1,000. Or maybe he said his first born goes to the winner. I think he’s trying to save money on diapers. Not sure if Mrs. B. is on board with that.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha don't set your expectations too high regarding a prize for completion. I'll be forking out for the postage (& posting my daughter is well out of my budget!)