2018 Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
found another tom.
the fool in king lear disguises self as " poor tom" to find out the nobles opinions.

Bierschneeman

Been there. Done that. I asked earlier. Aliases do not count for purposes of this Challenge.
oh I already have a tom.
(wife neglecting, mistress beating, false witness bearer, white supremacist)
I was pointing out another tom.
(it has been suggested that tom is the fool's name, long forgotten)

Darth Tater

for "book with a colour in it's title"

I think "colour of magic"~ Terry Pratchett should count.

*slaps knee*
Since you’re using the English English spelling instead of the American English spelling Tom may bite for sentimental reasons.

So, what colour IS magic? I always think of it as silvery stars with those fairy sound effects.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ha! I'd love to say yes purely for ingenuity and the proper spelling, but alas, rules are rules, a colour it must be.

Darth Tater

Oh oh oh. Another question. “ BOOK with a DRAGON in it”.

Well, I’m reading a (Kindle) book and there is indeed a dragon in it. (Probably more will appear later). Meets both elements. No? Yes.

However, the BOOK that has the dragons in it is an anthology. Does that qualify? Yes? No?

A streak of silver flashes. Dragon scales. Yes? No. It’s the coin Tom flipped spinning round as it flies through the air.

Darth called heads. Tom made the toss. He catches it. Yes? No. He’s been up reading all night again and his eyes are bad so he misses. It lands on the floor and it comes up...???

*I would like to add as an aside that it’s a Brittish coin.*

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I'm just going to put the coin it in my pocket and discreetly walk away. I think for these sorts of challenges (i.e. a dragon in it, a wizard in it, a colour in the title; a character called Tom etc etc) these should all come from individual novels, and not short stories (or collections of).

So I politely decline your request on this occasion. Sorry. I sill spend the coin wisely.

:cigar:

Darth Tater

I think I'm just going to put the coin it in my pocket and discreetly walk away. I think for these sorts of challenges (i.e. a dragon in it, a wizard in it, a colour in the title; a character called Tom etc etc) these should all come from individual novels, and not short stories (or collections of).

So I politely decline your request on this occasion. Sorry. I sill spend the coin wisely.

:cigar:
I figured at best there was a 15-20% chance of you biting on that. Well, they say throw it all against the wall and see what sticks. If it were me I would’ve stamped REQUEST DENIED too. A legit dragon will turn up. You’ll see! :greyalien:

ExTended

About the whole dragon thing... I've been reading The Shaman Quest series by Vasily Mahanenko in january, and there were those dragons in it. Like real proper dragons, except 99% of the action in the series happens in a virtual reality game, so...

How is our dragon situation?

And about the color thing - I am thinking about Iron Gold here. Gold is somewhat of a color and it's used as one in the book's world-building and such. So - does this book counts? And let me stop your grin in time by pointing out that I've actually gone and re-read Red Rising after Iron Gold, so it's more a curiosity that drives me here, not convenience. :)

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
About the whole dragon thing... I've been reading The Shaman Quest series by Vasily Mahanenko in january, and there were those dragons in it. Like real proper dragons, except 99% of the action in the series happens in a virtual reality game, so...

How is our dragon situation?

And about the color thing - I am thinking about Iron Gold here. Gold is somewhat of a color and it's used as one in the book's world-building and such. So - does this book counts? And let me stop your grin in time by pointing out that I've actually gone and re-read Red Rising after Iron Gold, so it's more a curiosity that drives me here, not convenience. :)
I'll go with yes on both counts. Ask my daughter, gold is definitely a colour! And a dragons a dragon.

Darth Tater

So, my curiosity got the best of me and I looked up Dinosaur Lords. It had one of the worst Amazon ratings I’ve ever seen. ALTHOUGH, while nearly half (46%) thought it was total garbage another equal group thought it was great. Pretty close to a bell curve.

Stars
5- 34%
4-12%
3-8%
2-21%
1-25%

Also under “read 5 fantasy short stories” can I just list the anthology or do you prefer the individual story names?

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, my curiosity got the best of me and I looked up Dinosaur Lords. It had one of the worst Amazon ratings I’ve ever seen. ALTHOUGH, while nearly half (46%) thought it was total garbage another equal group thought it was great. Pretty close to a bell curve.

Stars
5- 34%
4-12%
3-8%
2-21%
1-25%

Also under “read 5 fantasy short stories” can I just list the anthology or do you prefer the individual story names?
I think you should give it a go DT .. by the looks of it there's an equal possibility you may love it / hate it. Not bad odds for a gambling man ;)

Re: short stories, whatever you like :)

Darth Tater

I think you should give it a go DT .. by the looks of it there's an equal possibility you may love it / hate it. Not bad odds for a gambling man ;)

Re: short stories, whatever you like :)

The funny thing is that when you first started talking about it I figured it totally sucked. Then I asked you about it and you told me it was great and I half believed you. Then yesterday I found a thread in the book club about the series and everyone trashed it. Then I went and looked and read the first three or four pages on the Amazon site. Now I know why all of the Tom’s that we find in the books are underhanded scoundrels!!! :hilarious:

Bierschneeman

I'll add, that a recommended perameter of the challenge (not required) is to not change your reading habits.

that said there isn't a chance I'd ever read this book with such a loooooww repeated rating.

Darth Tater

I'll add, that a recommended perameter of the challenge (not required) is to not change your reading habits.

that said there isn't a chance I'd ever read this book with such a loooooww repeated rating.

I totally agree. I planned not to change a thing. HOWEVER, I looked up books written (on stone no doubt) from when I was born.

I found two books I would read regardless, but hadn’t planned to do so beforehand. The extended version of Flowers For Algernon and an author I heard of long ago but never thought about (James Michenor). I looked him up and his books look fascinating and are mammoth. So if none get marked down I will buy that one (regardless of the Challenge). But I think that was part of Tom’s motivation to do this. :)

Last edited:

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

Stars
5- 34%
4-12%
3-8%
2-21%
1-25%

I think this is the worst Amazon rating I've seen (from a traditionally published book, anyway):

https://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-...=1520566827&sr=8-1&keywords=mass+effect+dietz

Darth Tater