2018 Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
This is getting embarrassing.I have yet to come across a dragon. (No. Dragon Lords is out). Is a nightingale sufficient to fulfill the requirement? It’s really large (as nightingales go) and it even talks and does cool magic. Easily could be confused for a dragon*fly* What say you?

Bierschneeman

I need to start looking into every book I read, I almost missed an objective. also one I thought I wouldn't have been able to do

Darth Tater

I need to start looking into every book I read, I almost missed an objective. also one I thought I wouldn't have been able to do
You couldn’t have missed THAT many. You’re already well ahead of the rest of us. I guess you should know there is a petition circulating requesting that Tom lock your edit button for two months to prevent you from knocking more categories off your list in order to give the rest of us a chance to close the gap. *cough* I don’t know who instigated the petition *cough*

By the way, when I was checking out Dante’s Inferno the other day I found it was often identified as and cross referenced with “horror” so I believe that meets the criteria for the horror category on our lists enabling you to cross yet another one off. It’s about HELL for HEAVENS sake!

Bierschneeman

You couldn’t have missed THAT many. You’re already well ahead of the rest of us. I guess you should know there is a petition circulating requesting that Tom lock your edit button for two months to prevent you from knocking more categories off your list in order to give the rest of us a chance to close the gap. *cough* I don’t know who instigated the petition *cough*

By the way, when I was checking out Dante’s Inferno the other day I found it was often identified as and cross referenced with “horror” so I believe that meets the criteria for the horror category on our lists enabling you to cross yet another one off. It’s about HELL for HEAVENS sake!
Et Tu Tater?

well you may get your wish anyway. I usually disappear from the forums around April or May and I am rarely active much until December even when If I return. my wife will be a 16 hour drive away, so that might mean I will read even less than nothing. (or more , bwahahaha) .

the challenges I almost skipped over were , fantasy authors debut. and 1988. both crytal
shard, neither I figured out until I started looking up future books to see which I read next...if I do.

(just heaven and hell....i did read Good Omens earlier.....)

as far as horror I'm not bothered. when I moved to Louisiana I moved interview with a vampire to the stack of TBRs at the edge of my desk. I moved it to the top last September which means, challenge or not I am reading it this year.

if it's any consolation, I will say I just counted the challenges I could cross off if the challenge was doubled. 28/52

not much less

Last edited:

Darth Tater

Et Tu Tater?

well you may get your wish anyway. I usually disappear from the forums around April or May and I am rarely active...
That is certainly NOT my wish. Nobody cares about this Challenge to OURSELVES beyond a welcome distraction. :) But, life happens and people disappear from here and everywhere briefly to forever.

Noor Al-Shanti

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
It's kind of weird that on the year I sign up for this challenge, in January, I decide to also challenge myself by setting a writing goal... which of course demolishes my reading habits again as I begin to do nothing but write any free moment I get. But hey, at least this challenge somehow indirectly inspired me to write more :woot: and if I do meet my goal of finishing the novel by May1st I'll have a few months to catch up on this reading challenge afterwards!

But actually, the reason I came into this thread was to say how amazing I think those checkmarks, or should I say ticks :), are that you're using in the challenge thread @jo zebedee. :cool:

So I just waited for all the smilies to load, hoping it was one of them, but alas. Seriously, though, teach me your ways! Please! :angelic:

*goes back to insert a bunch of random smilies into post now that I've loaded and looked at them*

/randomness

Darth Tater

I think I just typed tick and then an option came up on my phone to use a ✅ icon and i chose it. That’s my level of tech - I didn’t know how to score out :D
Funny. I thought the checkmark was awesome. as well. Maybe I will copy and use one of the smiles if you don’t mind. I copied good ideas from other people too (bold lettering, partial list of authors at the bottom, current count at the top). I probably would have aped the colors too if I knew how. I have no shame.

Darth Tater

I’m guessing nobody completes all 52 categories unless they have masochistic tendencies to the extent they’ll read Dinosaur Lords. But how many others remain unchecked early on? The rock star of reading Challenges @Bierschneeman has all but 18 ALREADY making it easy to check if others were reported. Amazingly ONLY six (6) remain!

18. and 19. books by African and Australasian writers. (I thought the name Australasian was a typo or fabricated until Googling the term). :)

32. A series with 6 books- still early (Codex Alera?) and 47. Books by 30 different authors- Folks are well on their way. 51. A Best FB book you never read. That likely gets ticked.

So yeah, Dinosaur Lords may be the only one remaining when all is said and done.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
So yeah, Dinosaur Lords may be the only one remaining when all is said and done.
I personally find these challenging as well

31. A series containing 5 books.
32. A series containing 6 books.
44. 7 books by the same author.
47. Books by 30 different authors.

jo zebedee

I personally find these challenging as well

31. A series containing 5 books.
32. A series containing 6 books.
44. 7 books by the same author.
47. Books by 30 different authors.
Do I have to read the whole series this year to count or is a new book in a series already started okay?

Bierschneeman

I feel reluctant to say which I consider difficult or impossible for me to finish, since I never expected to get anywhere near as far as I have. I figured I'd hit 20 books, and stall out.

Here are some I never thought I'd get done. or that I think I never will
5 challenges: Any book with a year date requirement except 2008. I don't tend to have specifica orders to my reading, all the sci fi I intend to read should be adequately too old for this challenge, and my other reading to be to random to be sure I'd hit any, I knew I'd read 2008 (not complete) since the sequel to winterbirth which I read in December, I guessed I might do 2018 (not complete) since I have 4 in my amazon inbox. but the others. no clue, I only even found out for most of them after the fact.

1 Challenge south American author. I was reading a recommended Spanish author (on this forum) trying to prep for my goal of reading Cervantes this year, had no idea the Borges books on my shelf were south American.

4 challenges, multiple book series. I DON"T READ SERIES....typically. but trilogy did seem likely. I find myself on book four of two separate four book series'. weird, I will likely still not read two books. how often does that occur? (unless a two volume set counts. jean de CLaerk's ~ Textbook of Brewing)

two challenges. Self published... I will be reading plenty of self published fantasy novels, given the ANCIENT dates they were published. but a series, not likely, and a Sci Fi. equally not likely.

Beyond that... I have no clue. but the end of my reading burst period is coming soon, I see the end coming with my workload increasing as it always does. (but I usually retreat into shorter formats, like comics, so I will at least (maybe) finish one challenge during my reading absentia period.)

Alucard

Staff member
Do I have to read the whole series this year to count or is a new book in a series already started okay?
Not @TomTB but I think you have to start and finish a series in 2018 to count.

Alucard

Staff member
Yeah. I thought that was right but I went back and checked my PM’s to be sure. He told me the entire series needed to be read in 2018.
There we have it confirmed now. Thanks Darth.

Darth Tater

And thanks for taking part .. thought it was going to be just me!

Far from it!

16 people have signed up to join you and 14 of those have been filling out their “cards” so far. I think @Silvion Night is sandbagging. :p

I enjoy observing all the different sort of books we read, crossing categories off my list, and hoping someone gets close to checking all their boxes.