2018 Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
if it is any inspiration, ( I think my completion number is the one people are gunning for) I have not even read a cover in seven days. my annual "I'm too busy too read" has started.

I am at 39. have not crossed off any in 45 days. do not plan on crossing off any, because most years this period lasts until December. (except graphic novel. I always read comics and graphic novel during this time and I plan on reading sandman. so 40)

if I do end up finding time to read again top of the pile is a huge stack of Heinlein and Clarke (No challenges to cross off there) and two massive tomes that I promised myself to remove this year from my TBR. Don Quixote, (1000pages) and bloodheir (a part 2 of what I read last December)(2008)

40/52 min. 43/52 hopeful projection.

Last edited:

Darth Tater

I'm in the same boat. I'm at 30. I'm about to finish the four book series but I don't seem me getting more than maybe 5-6 more after that.

I have enjoyed it though and I read more than I would have without it.
if it is any inspiration, ( I think my completion number is the one people are gunning for) I have not even read a cover in seven days. my annual "I'm too busy too read" has started.

I am at 39. have not crossed off any in 45 days. do not plan on crossing off any, because most years this period lasts until December. (except graphic novel. I always read comics and graphic novel during this time and I plan on reading sandman. so 40)

if I do end up finding time to read again top of the pile is a huge stack of Heinlein and Clarke (No challenges to cross off there) and two massive tomes that I promised myself to remove this year from my TBR. Don Quixote, (1000pages) and bloodheir (a part 2 of what I read last December)(2008)

40/52 min. 43/52 hopeful projection.
In my case, not only am I not gunning for you, I’ve been rooting for you (or anyone else) to get all or very close to 52, although you said before you wouldn’t shoot for it. Also, it would be fruitless because you already have more (39) than I will get by years end. I’m not competing against anyone because if nothing else it would be too frustrating in something like this. Plus it’s more enjoyable not putting pressure on myself to read stuff I probably wouldn’t enjoy as much as other books. I go through the lists every blue moon to see what good stuff people are reading. It’s a lot more interesting than I anticipated so I hope this isn’t only a one year thing.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't updated my list for a while so really need to get around to doing that. As such I'm not quite sure where I'm at, but I'm very much taking the approach of reading what I want to, and if that ticks a challenge, then, yay! Funnily enough most my reading at the moment is via audiobook, which is my less preferred method, but annoyingly the most convenient method based on my current workload/lifestyle. Ho hum ..

Jakyro

I wanted to have some more diversity in my reading this year and the challenge has helped me in that. I had plans to read some specific series / books this year, but changed some of those plans to tick off even more challenges. I'm still reading books that were on my reading list, I just moved them up a bit. The perfect example is A Wizard of Earthsea which I started yesterday. I'm planning on reading the whole series now and it should help me to tick off multiple challenges

Currently I'm only at 16, but I estimate to finish at around 34

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
48. A self-published SF book.

1. Would The Martial qualify as such, since it was self-published before it got famous?

2. If not, would this one qualify?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758QQ1X1/ref=series_dp_rw_ca_1
Or do I need to finish all of the available( three so far) books in the series in order for it to count?

PS: What are some good 2 and 6-books series? :)
Pushing your luck with The Martian (i.e. one of the most successful traditionally published SF books in recent years, despite the fact it was self published initially). So .... No! :)

Just a single book in a self pub trilogy would count though.

Jakyro

PS: What are some good 2 and 6-books series? :)
Possibilities for a 2 book series:
  • "Infinity Blade" by Brandon Sanderson
  • "The Empty Throne" by Daniel Polansky
I'm planning on reading one of these series for this challenge. People I follow on goodreads had good comments about these in the past. You could look into them if one of them fits your interests. Both books in these series aren't that long either. Each book in "Infinity Blade" is only 200 pages, books in "The Empty Throne" are 400 pages.

I'm currently reading "Earthsea Cycle" by Ursula K Le Guin for the 6 book series. A very interesting series to tick of a lot of challenges.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Well I crossed 22 out of 52, so that's not really a lot. Still I've done that with only 7 books.
This challenge has certainly made me read some older books. It payed off wonderfully with Heroes Die, and I am severely disappointed with Bridge of Birds.

A question for @TomTB
I've planned Who Fears Death duology by Nnedi Okorafor for several categories. I've read her standalone 'Lagoon' couple of years back and really liked it.
In her wikipedia article under nationality it says Nigerian/American. Her parents are Nigerian, but she was born in USA when they emigrated due to Nigerian civil war. So can I count her toward #18 a book by African author?
You see I'm not sure if she has dual citizenship or if she just identifies ethnically with Nigerian heritage. To be fair she is 100% Nigerian from her parents heritage.
What do you think?

Khartun

Well I crossed 22 out of 52, so that's not really a lot. Still I've done that with only 7 books.
This challenge has certainly made me read some older books. It payed off wonderfully with Heroes Die, and I am severely disappointed with Bridge of Birds.
Caine is one of my favorite characters...such a good book.

Khartun

Have you read the sequels as well? I've read Heroes Die recently, but didn't feel like continuing the series immediately. I was wondering if I should. :)
I have read Blade of Tyshalle and enjoyed it very much. I haven't read the others yet but they are on my TBR.

Bierschneeman

A question for @TomTB
I've planned Who Fears Death duology by Nnedi Okorafor for several categories. I've read her standalone 'Lagoon' couple of years back and really liked it.
In her wikipedia article under nationality it says Nigerian/American. Her parents are Nigerian, but she was born in USA when they emigrated due to Nigerian civil war. So can I count her toward #18 a book by African author?
You see I'm not sure if she has dual citizenship or if she just identifies ethnically with Nigerian heritage. To be fair she is 100% Nigerian from her parents heritage.
What do you think?
It works for the Olympics these days, Heck you don't even need to have any connection anymore.

But it doesn't work like that for legal issues. or citizenships

Darth Tater

A question for @TomTB
What do you think?
Unless Tom wakes up in a really really bad mood (like an even worse mood than
usual -kids kept him up all night) I think you’re good. That being said I never know with Tom. The couple times I thought my question would be thumbs down, and maybe should’ve been he rubber stamped it. 2 or 3 other times I was pretty sure it was green light but it was negative. Yeah, just hope he slept well.

But the important thing is that we bombard him with tough or stupid questions every day. That adds so much to the fun...

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I slept wonderfully last night! In my opinion dual citizenship is a very clever way of ticking both boxes, so if she has legal dual citizenship, then thumbs up!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I finally got around to updating my list. Just 13 completed. That's the disadvantage of reading Malazan I suppose: it takes a long time to finish a single installment and it sucks if you want to tick reading challenges of the list.

@TomTB: two questions:

Time travel: can we consider Malazan characters going back to the time of the Eres'al and Imass as time travel? In some dream sequences characters actually go there (for example the Mhybe), but I'm not sure if you'd consider this actual time travel.
Character with the name of Tom: would Thom Thissy (soldier in the Bonehunters, marine division) count?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I slept wonderfully last night! In my opinion dual citizenship is a very clever way of ticking both boxes, so if she has legal dual citizenship, then thumbs up!
It's not like I can take a sneak peak in her passport, but on wikipedia, under her nationality it says Nigerian/American, and that's what is in passports, so I'm gonna go for it.