2018 Reading Resolutions

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
So we're nearly at the end of the year again, so I figured it is time to look at our reading resolutions for the next year. Do you have any?

For me, I am planning on reading the rest of the Malazan books. Besides that, I need to read Oathbringer. Besides that: no resolutions yet.

I do have some stuff to look forward to. Like in previous years I am anticipating the release of Winds of Winter. Will it be released this year? What do you guys think?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I am planning on reading the rest of the Malazan books.
Ughhhh. I should really come back to it too. I love Malazan, I really do, but there are always so many goodies that are less of a time investment around.

For me I think I'll probably do what I did this year. Set my GR challenge to 30 books and if I exceed that earlier in the year, like I did this year I'll up it to 40.
But I think I would also like to go back to reading more middle-grade fantasy classics like I did in 2016. I truly enjoy a good middle-grade fantasy book. Brings me back to my childhood which was kind of idyllic to be honest.
And I also really need to read something else by China Mieville. Like Scar. I've only read PSS from him few years back, and even though I loved it, I was distracted by all the new goodies I've mentioned to go back to New Crobuzon universe. But I think it's time.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I don't even have a good idea for this year. One year I wanted to finish Wheel of Time, Thomas Covenant, and Malazan (main sequence). Took me two years/tries, but I did. Then last year, I wanted to read more than in 2016. Two surgeries and lots of time off work meant that I was able to do that. I will hopefully not need any surgeries in 2018!

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
My resolutions are to generally read more, to ensure I do not read analacritous tosh from certain NAMELESS SERIES, read more manga, see if I can pick up some new authors.

Bierschneeman

I had a simple task for 2017, 10 books, minimum 2 fantasy, minimum 2 sci fi. I hadn'
managed that task in 15 years.

I blew that out of the water. I'm not sure how much I have read but I will have to sit down and look it up. but I must have done this up a few times or more.

that said I am doubling it for next year. and setting a few requirements. must read godless trilogy 2 and 3. must read Iceland dale trilogy (never read forgottenrealms really. and it's been on my shelf forever.) must read 2 or more heminways

Kalavan

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
Ughhhh. I should really come back to it too. I love Malazan, I really do, but there are always so many goodies that are less of a time investment around.
Tell me about it, I loved the first 6 and a half books, then the Italian publisher went sort of bankrupt, and since at the time I barely spoke any English I was forced to put it on hold indefinitely – I think they’ve finally translated the last 3 ½ books only last year.

Every once in a while I think about picking it up again from scratch – I don’t like summaries at all -, but it is just so massive.
Then again, I wasn’t particularly impressed by the already announced new releases for 2018, could this be the right year?

Alice Sabo

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I'm in a reading slump. Not sure what causes them. There's plenty of good stuff on the Kindle, I just can't get started.

I have a list on Amazon called "Series Next". When I buy a book in a series, I put the next one on the list so I can easily find it. I've got a pile of stuff waiting. Oathbringer, Playing to the Gods - Melanie Rawn, Veiled - Benedict Jacka, Beyond the Boundary Stones - Angela Holder, The Spider's War - Daniel Abraham, The Slow Regard of Silent Things - Patrick Rothfuss. Add to that a bunch of new series I want to start and any new books coming out. Any word on Jim Butcher's steampunk series book 2?

Peat

Vague plans for reading some point in the future

Pick up and give The Name of the Wind another go.
Pick up and give Malazan another go.
Dreamblood by NK Jemisin
The Gods of Thessally by Jo Walton
Maybe peek at that book that keeps getting compared to Jordan by that guy with the really long second name
Maybe Kings of the Wyld
More crime fiction
Try reading more of Vance's Lyonesse
Read some Poul Anderson
Read some CJ Cherryh
Re-read more Pratchett
Maybe try some Sci-Fi
Maybe finish One Hundred Years of Silence
Maybe read House of Leaves
Try Sandman Slim
Maybe read a romance novel and see if they deserve my contempt after all
Read more GGK, read more Abercrombie
Give McKillip a second go

Hmm, can't really think of anything else right now.

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
Mine is simply to read more than i did in 2017 (it wasn't a good reading year for me), and to read books that I want to, rather than what I think I should do.

Jakyro

My goal last year was to finish MBotF and ME. To succeed I practically didn’t read anything else in fantasy; the only other fantasy book I read was The Abject God.

This year I want to focus on the following things:
- Malazan books are large books so this year I’d like to read shorter books,
- following this I’d also like to read more books. Last year I set myself an original goal of 12 books on Goodreads, but I upped this during the year to 15. I ended with 18. This year I set a goal off 20 books (but I’ll likely read more)
- I’d like to read more diverse; different authors, new authors, multiple series and especially shorter series
- I’d like to try an audio book

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
My goal last year was to finish MBotF and ME. To succeed I practically didn’t read anything else in fantasy; the only other fantasy book I read was The Abject God.

This year I want to focus on the following things:
- Malazan books are large books so this year I’d like to read shorter books,
- following this I’d also like to read more books. Last year I set myself an original goal of 12 books on Goodreads, but I upped this during the year to 15. I ended with 18. This year I set a goal off 20 books (but I’ll likely read more)
- I’d like to read more diverse; different authors, new authors, multiple series and especially shorter series
- I’d like to try an audio book
Taking part in the Reading Challenge should help you diversify your reading in 2018! ;)

Alucard

Staff member
and to read books that I want to, rather than what I think I should do.
Can you elaborate on this? What do you mean by should read?

I usually pick up whatever I feel like, and I haven't had 'should read' or 'must read' books since University days.

As for my resolutions I really don't have any. The reading challenge you have set up will provide me with diverse reading list, and I'm pretty happy with that.
For Goodreads challenge I've put down 26 books. 1 book each 2 weeks. I usually manage around 30 books every year (2017 was an exception with 42 books).

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
Can you elaborate on this? What do you mean by should read?
).
It's just that I've spent too many hours reading books that I felt I should read based on popular opinion, and not really enjoying them (Numerous SF classics and the Culture books for example), so I'm just going to go with my heart rather than my head. If that makes sense.

Alucard

Staff member
These are most likely to be a miss for me too. I'm big on characters, and character development and these books are big on big ideas, low on characters. In case that I don't care about that idea that the author is trying to convey, I'm left with flat characters and author's philosophy. Not my idea of a good book.

I'm just going to go with my heart rather than my head. If that makes sense.
Perfect sense. Hope you have a good 2018 :)

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
Yeah, like reading challenge books. I feel your pain brother.
Copy pasted from the relevant thread:

The idea of this challenge is not necessarily to change your usual reading habits to complete all 52 challenges, you should be able to tick off numerous challenges just by applying your usual reads. Of course if you are competitive and want to complete the challenge first, then go for it!

kenubrion

Copy pasted from the relevant thread:

The idea of this challenge is not necessarily to change your usual reading habits to complete all 52 challenges, you should be able to tick off numerous challenges just by applying your usual reads. Of course if you are competitive and want to complete the challenge first, then go for it!
Yep, I get it now. Joined.

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
I don't really have any resolutions, besides finishing Esslemont's Malazan books. I also want to read the other books in the Malazan world written by Erikson (so the ones outside the main series).

@TomTB: you may want to merge this thread with the one I created in December with the same title. :p
OOPS !!!!!!!