2018 Reading Resolutions

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
I want to finish Bakker's second series, finish off Crown of Stars, but mostly I want to finish writing my second book.

Darth Tater

It's just that I've spent too many hours reading books that I felt I should read based on popular opinion, and not really enjoying them (Numerous SF classics and the Culture books for example), so I'm just going to go with my heart rather than my head. If that makes sense.
Good for you! IMO, that’s the only way to go when reading for pleasure. Can’t recall a time, other than assigned school reading that I felt obligated to read a book. Perhaps around 30 “classics” but that was more like “Well they’re free so may as well check some out”. But even then only the ones of interest. Admittedly, I feel really good for doing so.

These are most likely to be a miss for me too. I'm big on characters, and character development and these books are big on big ideas, low on characters. In case that I don't care about that idea that the author is trying to convey, I'm left with flat characters and author's philosophy. Not my idea of a good book
Ditto!

Theophania

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
It's just that I've spent too many hours reading books that I felt I should read based on popular opinion, and not really enjoying them (Numerous SF classics and the Culture books for example), so I'm just going to go with my heart rather than my head. If that makes sense.
That's the way to go: reading for fun should be.... fun. :)

I don't get on well with the old SF/F classics either - style has changed a lot in the last twenty or thirty (or forty or more) years. I've read some Arthur C. Clarke, and while I can certainly appreciate his skill as an author, and found his books enjoyable enough on a personal level (and A Fall of Moondust is one I particularly remember), it's just... not my style. On the other hand, I think I got about a chapter and a half into The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant before giving up. Wild horses couldn't drag me back to that series.

I'm sort of steering away from challenges - particularly the really long ones. My aim this year is to reduce my TBR list to manageable proportions, so I'm mostly reading books I already own. Except when I buy new books, of course...

Bierschneeman

sounds great.

this is why I like this place, instead flowing on the whims of the mob I get informed real opinions from friends very familiar with the content.

BFB has only steered me wrong once. American Gods.

Ryan W. Mueller

I want to stop forcing myself to read books that aren't holding my attention. There are so many books I'm dying to read, and I hate getting stuck in my reading because I feel the need to finish a book I'm not really enjoying.

Ryan W. Mueller

BTW, @Ryan W. Mueller congrats on your book releasing today!

You should make a post in the Book Releases thread.
I always forget to do things like that. The whole self-promotion thing can feel very awkward at times.

GiovanniDeFeo

Has Danced with Dragons
I want to read: four classics and one fantasy book every month. That's the ideal. So I got 12 fantasy books for next year. I'd probably give another go at China Mievillle, and see from there. Anyone that is not The City and the City I should start from?

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I was thinking I wanted to finally read the rest of Glen Cook's bibliography this year, but I already have so many books on my docket this year as it is that I doubt I'll get around to it.

Last edited:

Travis

Warded demons with Arlen
My biggest problem has always been that I have small stretches where I read voraciously and then get too busy and end up not reading for months at a time. So this year, my goal is fairly simple: read at least 2 books each month, grand total of at least 24 books. One of them has to be The Red Knight by Miles Cameron because I've started it twice before and the length and density has been too much to keep up with (surprising since I never had any trouble with G.R.R. Martin) but I will not let that book beat me. I've loved what I have read of it and I will finish it this year and continue with the series.

Darth Tater

Taking part in the Reading Challenge should help you diversify your reading in 2018! ;)
*** ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ BEEP BEEP BEEP ^ ^^^***

I think there is a rule against advertising and self promotion? I hope the other mods don’t see this. :p Maybe nobody will draw attention to your post.

Darth Tater

I never make reading resolutions (or any other for that matter...besides trying to keep my cyber shelf clear). But I checked three times (I screwed up my dates and numbers that “I was sure of” last time I checked something like this a couple months ago) :oops:. So in 2018, including the completion of the 2nd half of Oathbringer and one very short book of 118 page (I will count those together as only one book) I had read eleven (11) freaking books as of February 28th. At this rate I will read 66 books this year. I’d estimate the average was 400 pages each.

You would think I would kill off my very modest TBR list but some books are a series so knock off one and add another. Also cannot resist adding books I see on deals. So I would imagine my list will stay between 25-30

rudyjuly2

Late to the party’s but I don’t really do resolutions. Just want to read and average at least one book a month.

I didn’t bother with the reading challenge because that sounds like a chore/work. I only want to read books I am interested in with no other reason attached. I would like to read more sci-fi but fantasy is my favourite.

btkong

Staff member
To read more books!

2016 and 2017 I was on a tear reading. 2018, my reading has slowed down due to a new job project.

Anti_Quated

I've read bugger all this year after having a decent crack the year prior. I suspect I'll get little reading done. So, a manageable goal - finish off the Dark Tower series so I can get on with reading things that appeal more to my proclivities. DT isn't bad, and has had some quite engaging spots, but what I wanted form it and what it actually provisions are diametrically opposed, it seems. The glimpses of What Came Before in Roland's world are infinitely more appealing than giant bear robots and murderous AI shinkansen and lecherous mutant paedophiles and obscenity-spewing, detestable sidekicks. And those fucking crabs. Shut the did-a-chik up you horrible little bastards :D