2018's What fiction or nonfiction book are you reading?

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
@Darth Tater
gethsmane...guessname?

Is the awkward pronounciation intentional? maybe not that specific pronounciation, but any of a number one could devise that might or might not deal with plot.

Darth Tater

@Darth Tater
gethsmane...guessname?

Is the awkward pronounciation intentional? maybe not that specific pronounciation, but any of a number one could devise that might or might not deal with plot.
Unsure. The author and protagonist are African-American but I do not think she is pushing any kind of social agenda.

I just looked it up and it’s a biblical name. So Ruth, Mary, or Bathsheeba? There were some crazy Irish names in there too. It just detracts from the flow. Other than that it was a wonderful debut IMO, and I will take crappy names over a crappy story any day.

I really feel for TALENTED new writers. They just need a damned break. Put them on a Daily Kindle Deal and their careers would skyrocket. I saw this book listed on somebody’s blog, liked the sound of it, checked out a couple pages and looked at the review numbers. Checked out a few reviewers to confirm legitamacy and I’m now a big fan.

Last edited:

Darth Tater

I’m 100 pages into the book Airport which was released exactly 50 years ago. It was a bestseller and very popular movie back in the day. It was a Kindle Deal so I grabbed it. Arthur Hailey wrote books in which he takes you behind the scenes in various industries (Wheels, Hotel, Airport, Detective, Strong Medicine, etc.) The books are very well researched.

Airport grabbed me from page one. I thought it might be outdated but it isn’t as far as writing style. It was updated in 2,000 and in the foreward he tells you how procedures have tightened up considerably since 1968 (ironically he wrote this a year BEFORE 911 happened). He also made it more PC (50 years ago the word “negro” was used instead of “African American”. so he changed it in the new edition.

I had no idea how many things happened and how many people it takes to run an airport smoothly. I knew the job of air traffic controler ws like the most stressful job in the world but didn’t imagine HOW stressful it was. I think the job has an extremely high suicide rate? Anyhow, I’m loving it. Tough to put down.

Darth Tater

Completed Airport by Arthur Hailey. While Airport is a good airplane book (pin intended) it goes beyond that. Seems like a whole lot of thrillers focus on the action and even though they are fun and exciting there isn’t a lot of substance to them. Cardboard cutout characters more often than not. The bad ass protagonist, smart pretty girl he meets, Snidely Whiplash baddie. Some take these and go deeper but Hailey has a large (but not too large and they are slowly introduced) cast and the characters are diverse, interesting, and very human with real problems. Exciting from beginning to end without starting with someone running for their life on page one.

Really, he researches all books really well and there are interesting things you learn about ticket takers, maintenance crews, pilots, management, security, flight insurance sales people and machines, just about everything. It may sound boring but it isn’t. Picked it up for $1.99 last month and will buy the one this month for the same price on the pharmaceutical industry.

If you need a breather from fantasy consider Arthur (not to be confused with Alex-the author of Roots) Hailey.

Darth Tater

Dante’s Inferno. I guess my version is in poem form But it is quite good, and I am so glad I am reading it finally. Thanks to @Bierschneeman for motivating me. The churches loved this because it scared the *hell* out of people. Which drove people to church. Dante’s hell is how the masses view it. Quite creepy and I’m only at the first level! Definitely a horror book. Was it the first horror book ever, I wonder?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Dante’s Inferno. I guess my version is in poem form But it is quite good, and I am so glad I am reading it finally. Thanks to @Bierschneeman for motivating me. The churches loved this because it scared the *hell* out of people. Which drove people to church. Dante’s hell is how the masses view it. Quite creepy and I’m only at the first level! Definitely a horror book. Was it the first horror book ever, I wonder?
Are you reading the Divine Comedy in full, or just Inferno?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Darth Tater

post # 1001

this week i reread
Naked Lunch~ William S Burroughs
Junky~ WilliamS Burroughs
Queer~ WilliamS Burroughs

I typically reread my favorite book (naked lunch) once every 2-5 years whenever I see a new version. I found an audiobook with the best speaker I have ever heard for any book. he channels the spirit of Burroughs very well, his narration voice is reminiscent of Burroughs ' voice. each character in the novel has a unique voice which seemingly matches what I would expect Burroughs to imagine as the best depiction. from whiny needly addicts to gruff hard boiled detective with a slight perversity in undertones, even dr. Benway was perfect.

I just had to relax, " exterminae
all rational thought" and succumb deeply to this "viscious word virus" on "addicts of drugs not yet synthesized"

after that youtube queued Junky, as narrated by Burroughs himself, an autobiography on his descent into usage and the difficulties he went through to quit.

then I had to read Queer to complete the trio. a sequel to Junky discarded and finally published 30 years later (on the insisting of Jack kerouac) this picks up right after the end of junky (skipping over a very important moment, the catalyst for the events of queer) . with a heartbreaking introduction that describes how appalled he was at realizing the whole reason for him to pick up writing was his accidental killing of his wife in between junky and queer. this propels him to fall in love with a man and shadow after him through central and South America.

I do not recommend these books to anyone on this forum, Burroughs is the most vulgar writer I've ever read. his descent in all his books is indescribly vivid as it hits you with exceeding depression of trying to experience his troubles with drug use descent into umderbelly crime, fear, withdraw, sexual frustration, and suicidal thoughts that lace every chapter.

I will say the introductions and afterwards are required reading for his books.
Just where I'm headed. I didn’t see any reason to bother with the others. Adding envy to my list of sins only takes me down one level lower.

Derk of Derkholm

The Republic ~ Plato
Nicomachaen Ethics~ Aristotle
Analects ~ Confucious
Art of War ~ Sun Tzu
Tao Te Ching ~ Lao Zhu
The Prince ~Machiavelli
Common Sense ~ Thomas Paine
Wages and Prices ~ Karl Marx
Communist Manefesto ~Friederich Engels and Marx
Beyond Good and Evil ~ Friederich Neitzche
You read all of these in one week??? WOW! :eek:

Bierschneeman

You read all of these in one week??? WOW! :eek:
they are mostly tiny pamphlets of around 100 or less pages.
they are also mostly rereads so it didn't require intensive quadruple rereads.

although I did read nearly every word twice, because of the philosophical nature. one small section once. pause to ponder and read it again (this time with along with an audiobook.)

Bierschneeman

finished East of Eden a while ago, forgot to write a review.

one of Stenbecks later novels, it is the most unlike his other works. it's written like a Faulkner plot through and through. although without the incoherent time jumps.

everyone is evil, everyone suspects everyone else, and the entwined lives of love lust and murder lasts decades.
whats more to say. if you like Faulkner this is a rip off.

7/10

Anti_Quated

Just where I'm headed. I didn’t see any reason to bother with the others. Adding envy to my list of sins only takes me down one level lower.
The delicious sadism of Contrapasso doesn't end in Cocytus. You owe it to yourself to take the long, gruelling ascent through Purgatorio and on to redemption in Paradiso. Dante's personal eschatology, while far from epigrammatic and possibly too righteous in the end for some, is still a beautiful and masterfully composed meditation that should be treasured. Epic, in the proper sense. While Inferno is easily my favourite, I rather enjoyed Puragtory and Paradise nonetheless. Something of a completionist's foible, perhaps.