A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George R. R. Martin

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I just finished A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by GRRM. I liked it a lot, but it also leaves a bitter aftertaste because I now pine for another ASOIAF fix and there's still no telling when the next book will come out...

The book is a collection of three short stories about the hedge knight Ser Duncan the Tall (Dunk) and his squire Egg. These stories were all published before, but in this book the three novellas are combined and embellished with some great drawings (the book was published in this form for the first time in october 2015, so I think ity warrants a place in this sub-forum).

The story is set roughly 90 years before a Game of Thrones. The Blackfyre rebellion just ended and Targaryans abound. The Targaryan princelings are all vyeing for the throne and Dunk and Egg tend to get caught up in the shanenigans. One side-note: knowledge of the world of Ice and Fire is required, otherwise you will not really understand much of what is going on.

I rate this book a 9.0 (Goodreads 5 stars).

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
I also liked the stories a lot (have not read the book, but have sought out the individual stories in other anthologies earlier) and I think they give interesting background information about the Targaryans to ASOIAF fans :)

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I'm really biased here. I've read these a while back but I love that they are all in one book. I had forgotten a lot of of stuff and it was great to read them again.

I really enjoy the Heroic fantasy element. The hero is flawed in so many ways except for his heart.

9/10