A little inspiration for the writers

Discussion in 'Fantasy Authors' started by Tanniel, Nov 24, 2016.

1. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Drinks help a lot. :D

2. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Journeyed there and back again

I consider it a moral misstep on my part that I didn't get to read this until today. Damn and damn again! I had no idea so much of Irish mythology had filtered down to me without my knowledge. It's kind of creepy in a way.

The greatest takeaway was how to pronounce sidhe, which I've been doing wrong for at least two decades.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. jo zebedee

Heh. I regularly get shown up. In Northern Ireland very few speak Gaelic and few get taught it in school as they go in the Republic of Ireland. I was at a sff convention last year when the Ireland bid for the 2019 world con was being promoted (you're all coming, right? Do! Do!) someone approached the stand and asked for a translation of something Irish. I backed away leaving my very fluent Irish writer-mate to deal with it, which made us both snigger st my ineptitude. :)

4. GiovanniDeFeo

GiovanniDeFeo Firsthanded the newest Caine adventure

@Tanniel, I read both this article and the one about why do we read fantasy, and they are both ace.

It's really weird, if you think about it, how modern society has internalized any higher force of the spirit. Even a bland word like "Enthusiasm", in its origin it literally meant "to be possessed by the gods." I think I really digged this by looking The Vikings, the Netflix series. Norsemen believed that these forces were external because their life lacked so much in control. We modern folk believe that -with science- we are empowered to a better, longer, happier life. And it's true, for the first two parts. As for happiness, I really feel like we are like the greeks and the norsemen, we have no control whatsoever on the forces that shape our lives. Anger, fear, self-delusions, chance, death, loss, shape us in a way we can't control, no matter what science tell us. The difference is that the people of the old world knew that. We don't. While I am not a believer in any way, the self-empowering idea that we can control all at all times disgusts me. My experience is that talent can be shaped, it can be grown or diminished, but it cannot be created on purpose. Either you have it, or you don't. Which means Chance gave it to you. Which means it's an external force. Which means, the idea of the daimon is really not that dumb as it appears to modern eyes.

Thanks for your article.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tanniel

Tanniel Ran bridges next to Kaladin

That is so kind of you to say. Given the amount of research that the other article required, I am really glad it doesn't read like nonsense.

Also, that's a very keen observation about our perceived control over our surroundings, and it fits well with my own thought that external forces became internalised due to the advancement of science (after all, once we are able to weigh and measure nature around us, we are also able to better control it). It's something to keep in mind also when writing stories set in the remote past; people of that age would have an entirely different attitude towards both nature (still populated by spirits to them) and towards fate and the like. I also like the idea you mention of talent being given externally, much like in the way of daimons. The question that plagues all of us indie writers would then be, do we have a daimon influencing us in this fortunate manner?

I am glad you liked the article. It sounds like you might enjoy the next too, which is about Norse gods and some thoughts about the concept of the hero, to be followed later by a post about Norse mortal heroes, if I can find enough material to make it worthwhile.

6. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Many might not know, but I have no doubt that the Moirai know damn well the whys, the whens and hows. If only they were kind enough to share it with me so I would mess things up slightly less....

Well, as a keen SF reader (whose head is still buzzing after the couple of books I have read) had to smile at this idea...

• Like Like x 1
  7. GiovanniDeFeo

Also, in Italian Fairies are called Fate. Which literally means, 'fate'. Basically, you are asking the fairies :)
    (or El Duende, as Garcia Lorca extensively wrote...)

Yes @Tanniel, I would be very interested reading the article on the norse gods! Keep on posting...

8. Diziet Sma

I know, wishful thinking! I'm nitpicking but Lorca's Duende refers to el espíritu, la magia, la musa rather than fate... ;)

9. GiovanniDeFeo

Yes but Tanniel's article was about the daimon as 'genius', was it not? :)

10. Diziet Sma

Vero ma… rereading your comment reminded me of what an italian friend of mine used to say: "Arrendersi non sarebbe consono all sua strategia" or something like that…:p

11. GiovanniDeFeo

True! But than again it is not me, it's my daimon dictating me...

12. Diziet Sma

"Tell me thy company, and I'll tell thee what thou art...” Cervantes

13. Tanniel

I'll probably make a dedicated thread for this blog series later on, and include the links to both Jo's and also this latest post, but I thought this thread deserved to see the end result of @Peat's promise. He has more than delivered, yielding the second entry into the catalogue of heroes. If you enjoyed the previous blog posts in this thread, you'll like this one too: Going Indo-European

• Like Like x 3
  14. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Journeyed there and back again

Thanks for the heads up, @Tanniel, as well as the excellent article, @Peat. Again I have ended my day a better person from what I have learned here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Not quite to the same depth of inquiry, but I've a small morsel from last month with a nod to the benevolence of Prometheus on my blog.
    I'd like to expand upon it when time permits because I find it a truly fascinating and quite enjoyable topic - and would be happy to contribute an expanded edition to your blog if you're still open to fellow contributors, @Tanniel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Diziet Sma

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tanniel

I thought so too, @Matticus Primal and @Elvira, a great read.

@Anti_Quated, I read your blog post, and I would gladly host an extended edition! The topic and content fits very well within this catalogue series, and I would be happy to have something on the Greek myths from someone stronger in the material than me. I will send you a message.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Diziet Sma

Here, here... Another hidden jewel in BFBF.

19. jo zebedee

Excellent blog, @Peat

• Like Like x 1
  20. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again