Funnier?

• chicken suit

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • pie

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
As the thread title suggests... or really doesn't... I'm interested in physical comedy in fantasy.

We have plenty of examples of good wit in recent years. From Tyrion's cynicism to Logen's plain speaking, but can anybody think of any funny, or even mildly amusing, physical situations?

It strikes me that telling a visual gag in a written medium is very hard. So I'm curious, is there such a thing as written slapstick?

Maark Abbott

As the thread title suggests... or really doesn't... I'm interested in physical comedy in fantasy.

We have plenty of examples of good wit in recent years. From Tyrion's cynicism to Logen's plain speaking, but can anybody think of any funny, or even mildly amusing, physical situations?

It strikes me that telling a visual gag in a written medium is very hard. So I'm curious, is there such a thing as written slapstick?
Tyrion's pig-jousting scene comes to mind. I get that it's supposed to be about how Joffrey is abusive and all that but the idea of midgets jousting on pigs came over as really funny to me.

ofer

Try reading some of Tom Holt books - and I mean from the 1990's before he became K.J Parker. I'll always remember Kurt Lundquist as an awesome slapstick character. My favorite book by him was Faust Among Equals.

Peat

Huh. I did not realise that was Holt. I really like some of his Parker stuff, but don't recall Holt being all that. Maybe time for a second go.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams is a book that immediately comes to mind. In one of the later parts protagonist Arthur Dent lears to fly. The correct way is to fall, but miss the ground because you're distracted. Comedy gold.

Maark Abbott

There's some in malazan. The humor involving Pust and his monkeys is the first thing that comes to mind. There's also a lot done with kruppe's appearance that's funny, but I don't know if I would call it slapstick.
Kruppe vs Pust in the Mule/Ass slapfight?

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
In Belgariad, the character Silk provides a good deal of humor.

The title of this thread reminded me immediately of Book 5 of Sword of Truth with the chicken that wasn't a chicken. Can't get much funnier than that.
In the dark, the chicken thing let out a low chicken cackle laugh.
It hadn't come from where she expected the chicken to be. It was behind her.
"Please, I mean no harm," she called into the darkness. "I mean no disrespect. I will leave you to your business now, if that's all right with you."
She took another shuffling step toward the door. She moved carefully, slowly, in case the chicken thing was in the way. She didn't want to bump into it and make it angry. She mustn't underestimate it.
Kahlan had on any number of occasions thrown herself with ferocity against seemingly invincible foes. She knew well the value of a resolute violent attack. But she also somehow knew beyond doubt that this adversary could, if it wanted, kill her as easily as she could wring a real chicken's neck. If she forced a fight, this was one she would lose.
Also the classic unknown book "Where Were You Last Pluterday" by Paul van Herck

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
Terry Pratchett rules in the humor department. Here are some quotes from "Guards Guards"
“They may be called the Palace Guard, the City Guard, or the Patrol. Whatever the name, their purpose in any work of heroic fantasy is identical: it is, round about Chapter Three (or ten minutes into the film) to rush into the room, attack the hero one at a time, and be slaughtered. No one ever asks them if they want to.
This book is dedicated to those fine men.”

“They felt, in fact, tremendously bucked-up, which was how Lady Ramkin would almost certainly have put it and which was definitely several letters of the alphabet away from how they normally felt.”

“... the food was good solid stuff for a cold morning, all calories and fat and protein and maybe a vitamin crying softly because it was all alone.”