A Memory of Light: Chapters 41 - End

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
Wow, you're quick!

Best regards,
Andy

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I'm done, it was one of the most emotionally exhausting books I've read in a while. The end wasn't happy, but it fit. Other than that I'll wait for the rest of you to finish before I start going spoilerific. Seriously though, there were a few deaths that hit me hard, as it should be at the Last Battle. I have to give credit to Team Jordan, a 200+ page chapter that I could not stop reading, 4 am and I was still going. The book has it's flaws, but for the most part it more than lived up to the hype.

HazyJay

I laughed, I cried, and I am a bit ambivalent about the series as a whole even after the finale. It starts well, it ends well, but the I am not sure the giant slog through the middle is worth it. As various threads were wrapped up (pun intended) it was obvious that several sub-plots didn't pan out or were changed as the series developed.
I was expecting a whole lot more from the Bowl of the Winds since they spent 3 whole books looking for it.

Padan Fain/Moredeth just about pissed me off. I expected him to be the next Dark One after Rand whacked the current incarnation or something. Instead he gets thrown in as almost an afterthought right at the end.

I loved Mat. My girlfriend gave me funny looks as I laughed out loud while reading.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I loved Mat. My girlfriend gave me funny looks as I laughed out loud while reading.
Yeah, I scare my flatmate sometimes like that when I read Dresden Files.

Frizzo0133

I laughed, I cried, and I am a bit ambivalent about the series as a whole even after the finale. It starts well, it ends well, but the I am not sure the giant slog through the middle is worth it. As various threads were wrapped up (pun intended) it was obvious that several sub-plots didn't pan out or were changed as the series developed.
I was expecting a whole lot more from the Bowl of the Winds since they spent 3 whole books looking for it.

Padan Fain/Moredeth just about pissed me off. I expected him to be the next Dark One after Rand whacked the current incarnation or something. Instead he gets thrown in as almost an afterthought right at the end.

The Bowl was huge, as were the Windfinders in the back ground. There was fist sized hail coming down the few seconds when they lost control, and it could have all been like that.

I thought Fain's ending was fitting, he's been treated as such a huge threat, and yet he was so irrelevant for allot of books, I theorized that he's be the next Dark One, but what happened was fitting. It was a bit sudden, no one can deny that, but it made sense that he would go down like he did.

I was hoping that Perrin would be the one to do it, but Mat made allot more sense due to the circumstances.

Was it one of the weaker points of the book? Absolutely. Was it completely wrong? As it went down no, the right character got the moment.

Mat was one of the huge up points of the book, I'll get more into in my review, but Sanderson finally got him completely.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Just Finished It...and im still shaking with emotion....Brilliant, effing brilliant.

It was by no means a perfect story, but what a story nonetheless. The book is long winded true, it IS a slog but the last few chapters make it all worth it...ever single moment i have spent reading this series has been well spent.

The Sounding of the Horn..FREAKING AMAZING!! Noal's return was extremely emotional for me, and Brigette's Ending was truly well deserved. There are several plotlines left unresolved, but the book ends on a note of hope, and that's all that matters in the end.

Also Cadsuane finally got what she deserved :D
I wish Egwene and Gawyn didn't have to die, but it was inevitable in a way

Great job by Sanderson!!

And Mr. Tolkien, even in death , you have given us a masterpiece..Bravo!

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Just finished it , Wow... i feel satisfied , happy, exhausted , confused and hollow. I cant tell left from right at the moment. Amol was great! For me WoT as a whole has been really great. I think i need too let my head cool down a little bit before i write anything!

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Ok now that i have given time to let Amol sink in i would like to bring up a few things. There will be spoilers, so if you haven't finished the book then i suggest you stop reading here!

Was anyone sad about Rand and Egwene letting it end on such a sour note? I mean, they were practically as good as engaged at one point. I wanted a proper reconciliation at the big meeting. Sure from our pov ( Rand in that specfic chapter) we understood prefectly well why the seals had to be broken. And i can understand why you wouldn't want the seals to be broken. But you just could not feel any hint of affection/love for Rand shining through the disagreement.

I feel the same with Mat and Egwene too. How many times have Mat proven himself. She was just so cold. I really wanted a big Two river's gang reunion!
Her death was kind of cool though, even though i hate so much on Egwene. She kind of redeemed herself on that one for me. What does confuse me a bit is her death. We spent so much time watching her train to become an Aes sedai , a Wise one. She rose to power as the youngest Amyrlin ever, Uniting the tower and setting up some good reforms. Confronting the Seanchan. She was one of the strongest channeler at the time and many thought that she would be the longest reigning and most powerfull Amyrlin ever. I figured she would be the one to help usher in the new age while Rand finished up the current age. Kind of feels like Egwene did Rands job. Not to say that Rand didn't do anything! Rand did great!

Mat! So god damn awesome! I think Frizzo said that Mat was one of his favourite fictional characters ever. I think so too! I think everyone saw it comming but i still loved how Mat leading the forces of light and getting his hands dirty to jump into the fight from time to time. What was most disappointing was that Mat didn't out general Demandred. He did keep up with Demandred every step of the way and that saved the forces of light but still...
Well atleast Lan got his time to shine!
I also hoped that Mat got to fight Demandred and kill him. Maybe a fight similar to the fight when he kicked Gawyn and pretty boys' asses. It was kind of funny how Demandred thought he was up against Lews Therin but all along it was a simple farmboy out witting him, although he did have the memories of several great generals over the course of a thousand years and the dark one's luck.
To bring the zombie village (can't remember the name of the village) and what he did whith the dragons, pure genius!
Rand's meeting with Mat when Rand convinced Tuon to signt the Dragons peace was just the kind of reunioun i wanted from the rest of the Two rivers gang.Rand was on good terms with Perrin , but it didn't feel like Perrin and Rand was chilhood buddies. Felt like it was a Captain that was reporting in to a commander.

Poor Bela also died =(. A single manly tear fell from my eye and i stopped reading for a while to pray for our unrecognized hero's soul. May you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand, and may the last embrace of the mother welcome you home Bela!

One of the funniest moment's was when Androl compared Pervara to leather! Hilarious!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know this is the discussion of the last part of the book so spoilers are a given, but just in case anyone reads this who isn't quite at the end, I'm about to blurt out a crapload of spoilers ...

But just finished AMol, and WOW !!!! .. What an ending to the series! Got a little emotional at times - like when Bela dies, I actually woke my wife up at that point saying "NOOOOOOO" .. oops =) ... But I was so pleased with the way it ended. Felt kind of right that everyone just kind of went and did their own thing, although I always though they'd all return to Two Rivers in some big get-together scene! I always felt that Rand would live too, although was really surprised when he popped up near the last few pages and trotted off into the distance. Loved it when Noal came back for Olver, and it says something like 'Olver was used to people leaving him, this is the first time anyone had ever come back for him' ... put a big grin on my face and I just happened to get some dust in my eye at that very point (at least that's what I told the Mrs!!). Cadsuane being made Amyrlin as well actually made me laugh out loud, a really well written ending to her part in the series!!

I do have a couple of issues with the book though. First of all, even though I really liked the scenes with Androl and Pevara, they just kind of popped up from nowhere in this book - thought it was a bit weird them being such important characters in the final book given their lack of involvement in preceeding books. I also don't think the Chosen were portrayed as well as they could have been. Large portions of previous books focussed on the Chosen, their thoughts / feelings / ambitions etc, and I don't think this book did them justice. Demandred just stood on a hill shouting at people .. a bit more depth would have been nice!

Absolutely loved Chapter 37 too .. Don't think I will ever read such a long Chapter in my life ... does anyone know if there is a longer chapter? That's gonna be 250 pages at least in the paperback!!

Overall - loved this book to pieces. I have always said thet I'd never re-read this series, but I'm really tempted now I've finished, just so that I can go on the journey all over again!!

Sotiris

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
I just finished reading AMoL. A great book. With its drawbacks but still. People lived and people died. Chapter 37 was indeed very good. Everyone that waited 14 books to read about the Final Battle shouldn't be disappointed. I really didn't expect Egwene's death. I also think that Padan Fain deserved some kind of grand showdown with Rand instead of the two scenes he got in the entire book. Don't forget that throughout the series, everyone warned Rand about how dangerous he was. Also, I kind of feel that Rand should have died. I don't know why, but it seems kind of unfair that Egwene ,for example, died and Rand who always supposed to be a sacrifice for the Light, lived and pretty much unscathed.

But as everyone said a great book, a very emotional ending. So far my favorite series of all time.

So the Wheel of Time ended.

Belg

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I was a big fan of AMoL. i thought Sanderson did a great job finishing up the series.. im with everyone else saying that Mat was their favorite character. His scenes were very well done. I am sad to see the series come to an end but it just makes me want to read more and more of Sanderson's work.

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
As i was wandering around campus today, thinking about how awesome amol was i started to think about the last chapter and something i forgott to bring up in my previous post in this thread. I'll need to double check later but as i recall Perrin thought of Rand in the last chapter, and as he thought of his friend he didn't get the mental picture of what Rand was doing as he used to get. Perrin thought that it was because of they were no longer ta'verens , the wheel didn't need any ta'verens so they were no ta'verens in this time. Well what about our beloved Mats luck then? As i recall Mat's infamous luck was due to him being a ta'veren. Did that disappear? Or is the reason Perrin can't imagine Rand because of the switcheroo? Maybe they are still ta'veren. I find that doubtfull since the pattern has no need for ta'verens at the moment.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Whoadamn, I finished today. Everything went really quickly after chapter 37. I'm good with the ending, and I had figured out that Moridin and Rand swapped places pretty early into the epilogue, so that wasn't much of a surprise. I was happy with the two surviving forsaken's endings.. Mogedien captured by a Suldam again and Graendal compulsing herself to be Avienda's pet.

Part of me is glad that I didn't lose any main characters other than Egwene, but part of me was also expecting more hard-hitting "good guy" deaths. Lots of minor players died, but of the big-time Level 1 pivitol characters (Lan, Egwene, the Three Ta'veren, Moraine, Nynaeve, Elayne, Min, and Avienda) only one of them died. Most "big" deaths were Level 3 characters (Bashere, Juilin, Hurin, Gawyn, Galad), the Level 2 characters (Faile, Thom, Loial, Androl, Logain, Cadsuane, etc) escaping with their lives. I might throw Gawyn and Galad in the Level 2 camp, but they definitely weren't Level 1 in my mind. I'd bet that Jordan didn't actually write Egwene dying. He kept hinting to her being the finest, longest serving Amyrlin Seat in the history of the tower, but she served for like 6 months before burning herself out and nuking Mazrim Taim.

I did not like Cadsuane becoming Amyrlin Seat; I hoped that they would merge the towers again and Logain would become Amyrlin because of all the "glory" Min kept seeing around him. The Aes Sedai would never have allowed it, but Lews Therin was amyrlin during his time, and the taint had been cleaned, so I thought maybe Logain would get a little more attention and explanation. I never liked Cadsuane, and she's extremely old to be Amyrlin. She was super old in New Spring, which took place 40+ years before Eye of the World, so why make such an old woman the leader?

Mat-- great chapters, but not happy with his ending. "Hey Artur Hawkwing, go talk to Tuon and tell her I sent you, peace out" and then he went to Shayol Ghul where he did nothing of consequence other than stabbing Padan Fain. I agree with others-- Fain seemed an afterthought. Also, it doesn't seem characteristic of Mat to just bail on his friend when he is dying, and we never got a shot with the three ta'veren together, even if Rand was dying. Why would Mat be absent from the funeral? Doesn't seem like him. And why would we never see the result of Artur talking to Tuon? When Mat went back to her, all he got was "Hey I'm totally preggo now" and he asked her if she liked to play dice. That's Mat's ending? Meh.

So, what plot threads were left untouched that annoyed you the most? I was miffed that the Tinker's song didn't play a part in the final books. They were always greeting each other with some question about them finding the lost song or somesuch at the beginning of the series. Where was Elaida? Last we saw of her she was captured by Seanchan. At least we got Alviarin's end, which was a little odd, but being a prisoner in a stedding for the rest of her life along with those other ashamann works okay. I am also a bit annoyed that so much time was spent in TGS and TOM talking about the mass forging of power wrought weapons and they played absolutely no part in the final battle that I noticed other than Perrin's hammer, which only ever was unusual when it helped him stay warm in the wolf dream when he was injured. What does a power wrought weapon do? There was no point to them at all.

Anyway, unreal series and what a stellar ending.

Sotiris

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Now that a bunch of us finished the book,, some interesting points for discussion.
1) The pipe scene at the end of the book. Can Rand now directly influence the Pattern?
2) Nakomi. Who is she? The woman Rand saw on the slopes of Shayol Ghul? An avatar of the Creator? The last Jenn Aiel maybe?

@l3gacy. You forgot Bela's death : P. Damn, that was sad. It was with us more than Siuan or Hurin or Bashere.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
1-- good question. maybe it was like the end of Inception where you don't really know if he's in a dream or not. He had control of the 'real world' like he was in TAR. Maybe he rebuilt the pattern and now everyone lives in TAR (I am joking). I wonder if he got TAR-like powers in the waking world as a tradeoff for his access to the True Power and to Saidin being cut off.

2-- had forgotten totally about her. I must have glossed over her part in the epilogue-- I'm reading on other sites that she popped up briefly. My favorite explanation as to who she is was "Who cares, she has done nothing of relevance to the plot."

I was actually pretty bummed about Bela's death. It seemed a pretty lame end for her. She took an arrow to the flank, how does that kill a horse?

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
1) What i think is since Rand quite literally held the Dark One in his power, and this event occurred outside the Pattern(Which is where the Dark One's prison is), Rand gained the "outside" perspective i.e kinda like Neo, the guy is now an Admin and instead of hacking is way around the Pattern ( which is what he was doing when he was taveren) he can now simply command the Pattern to change to his will ( Which is how i envision it anyway and admit it, this sounds totally cool :D )

2) Meh who cares -_-

3) Looks like Bela....(Puts on Sunglasses)
Took an Arrow to the Knee
YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

OK that was terrible :-( Sounded better in my head( better meme usage too ) tbh, but yeah...poor Bela :-( :-(

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
OK, I'm late to the party (had not been able to finish my re-read of books #1 - #13 in time), but nevertheless, here I am.

I think that the book lived up to the expectations, even if there are minor things that I am not so happy with.

Reading Ben's review, I certainly did not consider the book boring ... am wondering if that had anything to to with him listening to the audiobook instead of reading the book. But I do not know, have never listened to an audiobook (and don't plan to). But, if I was locked to a reader's pace, I guess I also might not appreciate it as much as when I can determine the speed myself.

While I loved Mat in this book (as in the others before), I would have liked to have a bit more of his personal ending. There might have been a more thorough "conclusion" of the events after the last battle. I would not feel adverse to buying a followup book with more of Mat and Tuon (but of course, there is not so much left now to tell).

But, as others have said, it was not a bad book. One more thing that I felt when I re-read the 13 earlier books - I did not think that Jordan had "made a mess of the series" or "written himself into a corner". Quite in fact, I thought that "Knife of dreams" had been one of the best books in the series and had managed to bring quite a number of plot lines to a conclusion (first and foremost the Mat and Tuon part).

Best regards,
Andy