A Robin Hobb question(s)

terrierTOM

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
So I've recently finished Royal Assassin, book two of the Farseer trilogy and I loved it, much better than Assassin's Apprentice in my opinion and I'll definitely be going on to finish the trilogy with Assassin's Quest.

My question is this: would those of you who have read the rest of Robin Hobb's books, Liveships, Rain Wilds, Tawny Man etc recommend reading them? Without giving too much away, is it neccessary to keep reading, i.e. is the story in the sequels a continuation or does the story come together quite neatly at the end of the Farseer trilogy and I could quite happily leave it there? And are they as good as the Farseer trilogy or does Robin Hobb keep running the series past its sell by date?

A lot of questions there sorry, but I'm just curious what people would recommended, any advice is helpful! Thanks.

Sir Arthur

Journeyed there and back again
Liveships, Rain Wilds, Tawny Man etc recommend reading them?
Yes. I haven't read the Rainwilds books, but the Liveship trilogy was excellent. Fitz's story picks up in the Tawny man trilogy but, Liveship answers lots of questions, and follows the story of one of the characters from Farseer. If anything her writing gets better.
You could skip Liveship, but I wouldn't. The story flows nicely from trilogy to trilogy. If you enjoy her writing, read the other trilogies. You won't be disappointed.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
is the story in the sequels a continuation or does the story come together quite neatly at the end of the Farseer trilogy and I could quite happily leave it there?
And are they as good as the Farseer trilogy or does Robin Hobb keep running the series past its sell by date?
1. Ok are you happy with leaving it there? Hobb isn't known for leaving Fitz in a great place, she continues to punish the poor guy. So if you want more and more Fitz, continue on and get some tissues. The series does everything else awesomelly, but it is Hobb and she is awesome.

2. Short answer, Ne freaking way. Hobb doesn't drop anything in quality. Read them in order though. Rain Wilds trilogy I enjoyed more than the Fraseer trilogy just because they can be read as a stand alone series if you want and it wasn't so brutally emotional.

Any other questions, keep them coming! Oh and Welcome!!

ofer

My question is this: would those of you who have read the rest of Robin Hobb's books, Liveships, Rain Wilds, Tawny Man etc recommend reading them?
I've read Farseer, Liveships, and Tawny. Liked Farseer and Liveships. Did not get into her Tawny series that much, but I'm in the minority on this one so if you like her writing there's no reason why you shouldn't.

Without giving too much away, is it neccessary to keep reading, i.e. is the story in the sequels a continuation or does the story come together quite neatly at the end of the Farseer trilogy and I could quite happily leave it there?
Without giving too much away, no, it's not necessary. Every series by her has a definite end. Tawny - and as I understand it, her new trilogy - picks up when Farseer has left of. Liveships is in the same world but with different characters and story. I would still recommend reading her books in order of publication because of several overlapping issues and characters between the books, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Derk of Derkholm

I suggest to read the 3 "Farseer" books, then the 3 "Lifeship Traders", then the "Tawny Man" books.

Yes, you could skip the "Lifeship Traders", but there are some parts happening in Lifeship Traders that are important for the story as a whole.
And, why would you want to leave them out? Reading a series of books is not only that you have a goal to reach, to find out about the end. The way to get there also is important :)

Best regards,
Andy

terrierTOM

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Excellent, I think that's a resounding "YES" from everyone there, good to know! Now to just try not to read them all in one go then...

Ser Pounce

I'll be reading Liveship Traders soon as well. Really looking forward to it. Plan on being caught up on the Realm of the Elderlings by the time the final book in Hobb's current trilogy is out. Giving myself plenty of time. Happy reading though Tom, enjoy the ride and the destination will arrive before you even know it.

kenubrion

Excellent, I think that's a resounding "YES" from everyone there, good to know! Now to just try not to read them all in one go then...
Hi Tom. Welcome to the joint. Derk's suggested reading order is exactly how I read them. Not intentionally, that's just how it worked out. So I wholeheartedly agree with him on that order. Liveships next, then Tawny Man.