American Gods

Ser Pounce

Journeyed there and back again
Anyone else excited for the premiere of American Gods? Begins April 30th, 9:00pm on Starz. I've posted the newest trailer and ten character posters in the spoiler tags below. Figured we could use this thread to discuss the show as it airs if there's enough interest.

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd not realised this was being done before now! Will no doubt try to catch a few episodes at some point! Mr Nancy looks exactly how I'd pictured him, funnily enough :)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Awesome! Didn't know this was in the works. Very excited and I'll definitely watch it when it comes out.

Nuomer1

Starz??? Never heard of it, therefore not available in my part of the UK. Any other source? (Like when does the DVD come out?)

Vasher

Helped Logen count his fingers
I've known about this for a long, long time but I've been maintaining a lot of cynical distance from it. After all, book adaptations are almost always bad. However, the trailers look really fantastic. That, along with my girlfriend's insistence that Starz makes very good original shows has me hoping for the best and I'll definitely be watching it as soon as I can.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I've known about this for a long, long time but I've been maintaining a lot of cynical distance from it. After all, book adaptations are almost always bad. However, the trailers look really fantastic. That, along with my girlfriend's insistence that Starz makes very good original shows has me hoping for the best and I'll definitely be watching it as soon as I can.
There are some great adaptations though. Lord of the Rings, the Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, The Expanse, the Man in the High Castle (haven't seen this one myself, but heard good stories about it). And these are just from the top of my head. I'm actually quite optimistic about this one.

Vasher

There are some great adaptations though. Lord of the Rings, the Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, The Expanse, the Man in the High Castle (haven't seen this one myself, but heard good stories about it). And these are just from the top of my head. I'm actually quite optimistic about this one.
Eh, I was bored to tears by every single Hunger Games movie. Haven't read the books though, maybe they're no better.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Eh, I was bored to tears by every single Hunger Games movie. Haven't read the books though, maybe they're no better.
I guess my entire argument is unraveled by you not liking one of the franchises I mentioned. :)

Seriously though, I do realize there are lots of failed adaptations out there. However, there are also many strong ones nowadays (and have always been I suppose). Take for example superhero comic book adaptations. Some are terrible, but most are pretty good and wildly successful (Logan, Guardians of the Galaxy, the first Spiderman movie etc).

There are also quite a lot of ambiguous ones. I would for example consider the Hobbit movies to be really bad (and most movie critics would agree with me), but they did make a ton at the box office, so there must be an audience for those as well. Same with Eragon.

And then there are the Dan Brown books that have all been made into blockbuster movies and loved by all and sundry. And how about the Twilight Saga? I hate it, but when they were released all the girls in the 12-18 age category thought it was the best thing since pre-sliced pizza. And do you remember The Martian by Andy Weir? Pure awesomeness.

In any case, I'd definitely disagree that book adaptations are nearly always bad. They are nearly always not what like some fans would like it to be, but that's a different story altogether.

Vasher

I guess my entire argument is unraveled by you not liking one of the franchises I mentioned. :)

Seriously though, I do realize there are lots of failed adaptations out there. However, there are also many strong ones nowadays (and have always been I suppose). Take for example superhero comic book adaptations. Some are terrible, but most are pretty good and wildly successful (Logan, Guardians of the Galaxy, the first Spiderman movie etc).

There are also quite a lot of ambiguous ones. I would for example consider the Hobbit movies to be really bad (and most movie critics would agree with me), but they did make a ton at the box office, so there must be an audience for those as well. Same with Eragon.

And then there are the Dan Brown books that have all been made into blockbuster movies and loved by all and sundry. And how about the Twilight Saga? I hate it, but when they were released all the girls in the 12-18 age category thought it was the best thing since pre-sliced pizza. And do you remember The Martian by Andy Weir? Pure awesomeness.

In any case, I'd definitely disagree that book adaptations are nearly always bad. They are nearly always not what like some fans would like it to be, but that's a different story altogether.
Hey, I'm not saying good ones don't exist. But considering how many more bad ones than good ones exist, I always tend to remain cautious until given a reason to hope. I mean, just off the top of my head there's every single Harry Potter movie, The Golden Compass, I Am Legend, The Giver, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, War of the Worlds, Hitchhiker's Guide, Ender's Game, City of Ember, Stardust, Lucifer, etc.

Ser Pounce

Pretty interesting interview with Neil Gaiman at the start of the LA Red Carpet premiere video by ET. Cliff notes: Says there was one scene involving Shadow where he told the show writers that Shadow would never do that and when they kept insisting he would he told them he'd jump in front of a bus if they kept it in to get his point across. Or maybe he really would jump in front of a bus, never know with those crazy Brits, right @TomTB? Also says they could get five seasons from the book material with all the stories they plan to expand on. Season 1 will only get about 1/3 into the book.

https://whatdoyouworship.com/ Fun little game to see which god you'd worship.

The reviews for the first four episodes have all been very promising. Seems they're keeping true to the book but expanding in ways the book couldn't with strong guidance from Gaiman. Keep the hype train rolling, I say.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

Ser Pounce

So, the premiere aired in the U.S. tonight. I'll put my reaction in spoiler tags.

Well, that was wonderfully weird. The cinematography was stunning. The casting seems to have been spot on so far. From what I can recall it's mostly true to the book but there have been a few changes which I believe were for the better. Fleshing out Aubrey's character was well done, she was pretty bland in the book. Her and Shadow's reactions felt more realistic to me in the show. For the famous 'man gets devoured by a vagina' scene, it was basically taken straight from the page and put onto the screen. Never thought you'd see that on television, eh? The episode was pretty humorous but I guess that depends on how much crude and dark humor is your thing. Anybody slaking for violence, look no further. Overall the episode was pretty damn trippy and it definitely helps to have read the book.

For flaws I would say the use of the fake blood was certainly overdone but from all accounts that's a Bryan Fuller hallmark and an artistic choice. It didn't affect my enjoyment in any way. What did was how difficult it was to hear all the dialogue. The voices were really low in comparison to everything else it seemed. Had to really focus on it to make sure I understood it all, and I did miss a couple things. With that being said, I thought the soundtrack for this episode was amazing. It really added to the atmosphere and tone.

Looking forward to reading other's reactions and thoughts. My anticipation for future episodes hasn't wavered at all.

Last edited: