Anyone on goodreads?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I spend too much time on Amazon to branch out, at the moment. Though I expect with the recent Ammy purchase of Goodreads, some content will start cross-posting automatically. (I hear this already happens sometimes with book reviews getting posted on Audible.)

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I spend too much time on Amazon to branch out, at the moment. Though I expect with the recent Ammy purchase of Goodreads, some content will start cross-posting automatically. (I hear this already happens sometimes with book reviews getting posted on Audible.)
Speaking of which, why not post a link to your Amazon account reviews. From what I can tell by conversing with you on these forums, I'm sure they are brilliant. I'd love to read them sometime.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Speaking of which, why not post a link to your Amazon account reviews. From what I can tell by conversing with you on these forums, I'm sure they are brilliant. I'd love to read them sometime.
Well, here you go: www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A2GJX2KCUSR0EI?ie=UTF8&ref_=sv_ys_4

Though almost none of them are for fantasy books (thanks for the compliment, though). It's easier to review pet food, tea, household products, kitchen gadgets, and that sort of thing. My most popular review is for a Beachbody exercise program.

Most of my time on Amazon is actually spent commenting on Harriet Klausner reviews (www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AFVQZQ8PW0L?sort_by=MostRecentComment&x=13&y=7&display=public). (Lest you think I'm being mean, Google her if you haven't heard of her...)

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
I just joined Goodreads recently. Definitely a good web site for finding good books to read since they recommend books based on what you have read.

AyameMajikku

Stood on the wall with Druss
I'm still pretty new to both here and Goodreads... I signed up as an author on there, so I don't know if I even have a regular account anymore. o.o''

Hand of Fear

I'm finding Goodreads really help full , but I'm finding it harder to rate books I read years ago and I still haven't added every single book I have read on there either.

Anyone else having these issues ?

molovian

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I rate previous books as I run across them on goodreads or if they really stick in my mind as they were that good. So, my goodreads lists have mostly books rated 5 stars and then those I have read since joining goodreads.

I've recently discovered Goodreads and spend a lot of time there. I think I prefer it to Amazon: the reviews on Amazon are very sales-motivated -- either strongly recommending or strongly against buying a book (depends if submitted by the author or a competitor). The reviews on Goodreads are more laid-back and to the point. They don't take a commercial interest in the book so much, so it feels more like a forum discussion. This is a community as opposed to Amazon, who is, at the end of the day, a retailer .

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I've recently discovered Goodreads and spend a lot of time there. I think I prefer it to Amazon: the reviews on Amazon are very sales-motivated -- either strongly recommending or strongly against buying a book (depends if submitted by the author or a competitor). The reviews on Goodreads are more laid-back and to the point. They don't take a commercial interest in the book so much, so it feels more like a forum discussion. This is a community as opposed to Amazon, who is, at the end of the day, a retailer .
You know Amazon owns Goodreads now, right?

moonspawn

You know Amazon owns Goodreads now, right?
If you compare them review by review for any one specific book though I can guarantee you that in most cases Goodreads will generally have superior reviews which is I look up books more on Goodreads as opposed to Amazon.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Both Amazon and Goodreads are a mixed bag. There are lot of fake reviews on both. Remember our good friend Ben Peller? Do you know how many Peller(s) I have discovered on GR? Self-published authors use fake accounts on GR as well as Amazon. For example, Amazon has taken down fake reviews of Robert Stanek, but Goodreads is full of them. Just go and check it out.
Also, there are all sort of people on both sites, but I guaranty you will find more of literary snobs or morality police on Goodreads.

What I usually do when I'm not sure of book is I read top 5star review and top 1star review. That way I can get a bit more info.

moonspawn

This is the reason I like Goodreads more even though I don't consider myself a literary snob although I admit I can be snobbish when I really don't like a book lots of other people do like when I feel justified in not liking that particular book.

One thing I really hate about Goodreads is the search function. Half the time when I type something in I don't even get relevant results in the first few entries. So when looking for a book to read on a subject I'm interested I just search Amazon first and then read the reviews on goodreads.

Derk of Derkholm

I am very new to Goodreads so I recently went to a class on How to Market on Goodreads presented by Mary Walewski and she said:

1. The #1 thing for an author to do on Goodreads is to participate on the site as both a reader and author.
• Add books to your bookshelves.
• Review books you’ve read.
• Make friends. (Import your contacts from Facebook or Twitter.)
• Join groups and participate.​
2. Spend the time to create a great author profile:
•Use your professional author photo
•Import your blog or start a blog on Goodreads.
•Add videos – book trailers, interviews, and more.
•Add your events – book signings, talks, and online events.​
3. Your suggested weekly activity guide:
1.Once a day, check your notifications and friend requests.
2.At least once a week, update your status – especially if you’ve scheduled an event or are working on a book.
3.Once or twice a week, participate in groups by asking or answering questions or commenting on a thread.
4.Once a week, post a book review of another author’s work in your genre.
5.Keep your book shelves up to date with what you’re reading.
6.Keep your author profile up to date with events, blog posts, and more.​

5 ways to promote your book on Goodreads

1. Get reviews for your book by:
•Having a giveaway of print copies of your book.
•Using widgets and badges to spread the word on your website and social media profiles
•Post excerpts of your book on your author profile.
•Participate in groups on the site.​
2. Promote your free ebooks (Amazon’s KDP Select). Offering your book for free is a risk-free way for you to:
•Introduce yourself and your work to the market
•Allow readers to try before they buy
•Raise your ranking on Amazon
•Get reviews on Goodreads – which raises your chances of your book being listed in the Recommendations and Suggestions engine.​
3. Create a Goodreads Giveaway of your printed book.
•Giveaways are only for print copies.
•Schedule your giveaway 3 months before your publication date.
•Run your giveaway for at least a month.
•Give away 10 to 20 copies of your book.​
4. Paid Advertising – how to run an effective ad campaign
•Know the demographic you’re targeting with the ad.
•Have a specific call to action like “Add to your shelf” “Read an excerpt” “Enter to win a copy.”
•Make the landing page of the ad your book page on Goodreads to make it easy for the reader to take action.
•Enable stats to track your results.​
5. Create a Featured Author Group
•A Featured Author group is a special group formed for one author or a panel of authors for a specific amount of time.
•You run the group for a specific amount of time – like one day - and are responsible for promoting it on Goodreads and other social media.​