April 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Apr 1, 2017.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

On your marks.

Get set.

GO!

2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I'm reading Gunslinger. Nothing makes sense so far. I have no idea who the characters are, other than a superficial one sentence description. I have no idea what is going on other than:
    'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
    World is weird. Great atmosphere though.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Indeed. Book one seems way out there (I think he eventually rewrote parts). Book 2 as the title says he draws "the three" (other main characters) in his usual weird ways. But then in book 3 it all really starts coming together. The series is weird the entire way, there are some holes, it isn't your classic fantasy, but you may find you're in for a real treat and that you will never never ever forget it. It is quite unique and the setting remains insane. It certainly is not your classic fantasy, and as much as I enjoyed it, I would be hesitant to recommend it to anyone for that reason, but one book where I think you just need to sit back and enjoy the ride. It is heavily character oriented and watching them evolve is cool. The world is crazy fun and unique. It isn't for everyone though.many of his other books tie into this one and you even see one play a major role, a cameo or two, and even the author himself. Well, "you're off to see the wizard"...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  4. Alucard

I only read Carrie from him (really liked it) and this one is distinctly different. I'm not the one to run away from weird fantasy (I like China Mieville a lot) and I don't mind slow burners. This being Stephen King, I am hopeful that I will at least like it, but I'm also willing to give him time to blow me away. We'll see.

5. Darth Tater

Aside from the seven Darktower books, I've read The Stand, It, The Talisman, Eyes Of The Dragon, The Tommyknockers, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Joyland, and 3 short story collections. Most of them bleed into the Dark Tower but none of them are like it...perhaps The Talisman on a small scale. I did see the movie Carrie and it isn't even remotely related IIRC.

If you can get past the first two books it will be very interesting to hear your thoughts.I have never had the opportunity to discuss it with anyone before. I had no part in writing the book and don't personally know Stephen King so I'm not one of those people who take pleasure out of someone liking a book I liked or takes it personally when someone does not like it.o_O. so please share (anyone else who read it also).:) Maybe we can even start a thread?

6. Alucard

This reminded me, Carrie wasn't the first thing I read from him. It was actually a collection of short stories called Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales. In this collection there's a short story 'prequel' to The Gunslinger called The Little Sisters of Eluria. It was pretty good. It had vampire nuns in it. Sounds cliche but it was an interesting story even to me who didn't know anything about Dark Tower world.
    There's also short story called 1408 and that was downright scary. There's a movie with the same name staring John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson based on that one.

But the best overall in this collection, maybe one of the best short stories I have ever read was The Man in Black. Is that the same character as in Dark Tower?

It's a really good collection, I would recommend it. I expected SK to be creepy or scary, but he also has some humor and quirkiness in his stories as well.

Sure you can start a thread if you want. Maybe general Stephen King one, so people can jump in whenever they read one of his books. It doesn't have to be DT only.

7. Darth Tater

It PROBABLY was the same man in black. Not having read it I couldn't say. IIRC the man in black is actually named "Walter". Been years.

One character that keeps reappearing throughout different novels goes vby several aliases. The Walking Dude(The Stand"), several orher different ones he has with the initials -"RF" or something. THOSE are the sane guy but that is someone different than Walter. Read enough King novels and you see "The Crimson King" signified often by a single eye. Basically, Satan.

8. Darth Tater

Tomorrow I begin the seies Memory, Sorrow, And Thorn. I know a couple of others began it recently. My hopes are high. Shadowmarch was one of my all time favorite series, I didn't care for Otherland and quit after one book and IMO, his short story collection in "The Best Of Tad Williams" was super.

9. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I've made a start on Dancer's Lament, has anyone else on here read it ?

10. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I think you should enjoy MST. It's a bit slower than Shadowmarch at first, but it's worth it in the end. You might also give Otherland another shot. I wasn't sure after one book, but I loved it by the end. I also enjoyed his standalone, The War of the Flowers, as well as the first two books of his Bobby Dollar urban fantasy series.

11. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Not yet HoF. Can't imagine it'll be too long though ..

12. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Dark Tower and Darth Tater. A coincidence? I think not.

Anyways, in my opinion Stephen King is one of the best contemporary American authors. Most of his books are highly entertaining. Not scary per se (although some of them definitely are), but creepy and quirky. Also thought-provoking. Some of the best books I've ever read are by King (with The Stand being the best of them) and one of my favorite fantasy series (the Dark Tower) was written by him.

13. Jakyro

Jakyro Journeyed there and back again

I'm still reading Reaper's Gale, two chapters and the epilogue to go (+/- 200 pages). I should finish it this week
    after this I'll probably take a short break from MBotF and ME and go for something completely different

14. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Yeah, it's decent. Pretty much standard ICE though - good in its own right but a bit shoddy compared to Erikson's stuff.

I'm about 3/4 through The Broken Eye and it's good so far. Occasional flashes of greatness and occasional dips into being pretty bad, but it's mostly stable in the 7/10 region. I really can't stand the Kip/Teia will they/won't they bits though, those are actively making me cringe with how dire they are.

15. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I stopped going back and forth between The Fifth Season and Crashing Heaven because I can't put Fifth down. What a book.

16. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I thought I might have purchased the Fifth Season on a fire sale one day. Nope! Just another one to add to the backlog. I'll have to pay more attention to those Kindle sales.

17. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Still on Mott by Terry Pratchett. Its my milling book so i only read 20 pages at a time, and seldom. I'm on page 120

I have American gods waiting in the weeds

18. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I've read four of ICE books and thought Night of Knives was the weakest with the other three just as good as Eriksons books, with Erikson his books always seem to have more depth to them whereas ICE are lighter and perhaps less complex.

I thought I would be enjoying this book a lot more than I am at the moment though, and it feels very much like NoK and the writing is almost childish in places. We also have probably the three most recognisable characters in the entire series in this book, and he has so far made them bland and uninteresting. Yes we can say that they are young and they don't have enough history yet, but even so I think that there should still be some charisma or spark of personality.

19. fbones24

fbones24 Journeyed there and back again

Currently reading "Night's Master, Tales From the Flat Earth" by Tanith Lee.

I was reading Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams but I did not finish it. Was actually about 90% done and put it down. That's not like me but I knew that I would never read the rest of the series and I simply did not care about the ending at all. I think it was a good book, well written with a classic fantasy tale. If I had read it 10 years ago, I would have loved it. The problem for me is that Simon was not developed at all. 90% into the novel, I had no idea who he was, where he came from, what his personality was, his fears, his wants, etc.

I can only compare this story to Farseer and the way a similar character (Fitz) was developed so thoroughly to create that bond with the reader.

20. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I have not read any books by Robin Hobb. I remember reading a Farseer sample years ago and not caring. At some point I will read some of her work. I often do like her reviews.