April 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Finished The Broken Eye.

It's a solid enough 7/10. At points it's cringey, at points it's incredibly cheesy, at points it goes full NARM, but the majority of it was pretty dang good. I wasn't expecting
    Ironfist to be an Eye, nor Grinwoody to be one and also his Uncle
    - other than that it was relatively easy to predict where things were going.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I know, huh? I recall ar LEAST one more big revelation that came outvof nowhere (for me, anyhow), in book 4 also. This series gets better with each book. Cannot wait until book 5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I finished Lirael. Unlike the first book Sabriel, which can be read as a standalone, Lirael is only half of the story. It introduces two new POV characters, Lirael and Sameth. It's very gradual and its focus is on world building and character development, and I fully expect the 3rd book Abhorsen to be a non stop action which will wrap up this original trilogy. The 4th book Clariel was published 12 years after Abhorsen and I won't be reading it immediately in any case.

Lirael was at times difficult to read because the main characters are teens and they do a whole lot of whining, self-pity, self-doubt etc. This is manageable in Lirael's case, because she has other stuff going for her, but Sameth is unbearable. I fully understand why the writer needed to do this, and the characters will come out better for it (Lirael already did), but no amount of logical understanding will make me enjoy teenage whine fest. I don't like them in fiction or reality.

Tim Curry did an excellent job just like in Sabriel. If it wasn't for him, I would probably skim-read Sameth's parts.

4. fbones24

fbones24 Journeyed there and back again

I'm currently reading Night's Master by Tanith Lee. I went into reading this having read no reviews nor knowing what the story was about. It was actually not what I expected but I'm glad. I have learned not to trust expectations at this point and I'm glad that here, I found something completely different. These intertwined dark fables are wonderful. Lee's writing is somehow short and succinct but at the same time flowing and elegant. I think that is something that is difficult to do. She writes with such efficiency and somehow, it's beautiful to read. Great characters that feel real despite the setting and the story. I will probably continue on and read all her books at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Maark Abbott

We'll see. It's enjoyable and solid, but I'm still not into it like I was with Night Angel.

6. Peat

Peat Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I've yet to read the others but Night's Master is awesome. Its the sort of new myth that I wish more people wrote.

7. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Tanith Lee has a new book out. It came out on April 4th. It's called Redder Than Blood and it is also fairy tales re-telling.

8. Darth Tater

I'm guessing your perspective won't change very much from this point forward. After book one I was 60/40 on continuing. I felt it was overrated. Book 2 was 80/20 on continuing. After book 3 was really liking it, book 4 even more, and now very excited for book five. Not my favorite series but really enjoying it. But everyone is different so who knows? But while book 4 is even better than book 3, IMO, it isn't THAT much better. I like all of the ironies, mysteries, and twists and turns but I'm not sure the series presents anything much that I hadn't seen before (other than the particular magic system). But for me it is fun.

9. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

Finally started The Blood Mirror! Hopefully another great read. Now give me some news on the last and final book so I can finish it in a week..

10. Darth Tater

He's released them every two years so maybe October 2018? Best to stretch it out to two weeks! ;)

11. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I am getting fed up with reading Carrion Comfort. It's been almost a month and I've still not finished it. I find myself playing around with my phone opr reading magazines just to put off finishing the book. Not good. That's why I decided to also start reading:

The Walking Dead. That's right. I have purchased the compendiums in which the strips are combined into a number of hefty (very hefty and heavy) graphic novels. I'm already well into the story. It's significantly better than the tv-series. The events also slightly differ from those in the tv-series, so it feels like a fresh read, even to someone who has seen all the tv-episodes. Good stuff!

12. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I can second you on that because I think book 4 was by far the worst. Actually kind of deadened my excitement and this is one of my favorite series.

13. Maark Abbott

I'm onto Scarlet Tides next, book 2 of The Moontide Quartet. The first in the series was pretty good, hopefully the second will match it.

14. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

With summer starting I will be back to blowing through audiobooks and decided to start with my first ever re-read of The Dresden Files.

Storm Front

I think there is mostly agreement that the series starts off slow and I remember that being the case for me as well. This time around it wasn't that way. I guess I could credit it to already having a love for the series. One thing I came away thinking was that this felt more like a detective novel than a fantasy (though in fairness it did have its share of magic and what not) whereas later in the series it swings more the other way IMO. Or at least in my vague memories it does. It doesn't do a lot to wow you but it is a good start to the series that I personally didn't have a lot of problems with.

8/10

• Like Like x 2
  15. ReguIa

150 pages into The Blood Mirror.
    Wow!! So Gavin was never hallucinating after all. It was a fragment of himself that Dazen put there.

Because he could draft black

Because he was a black monochrome

A Black Prism...

I always did wonder how both of them were Prisms. Gavin were made a Prism with the Blinder's Knife. Dazen never knew what that was, so how did he end up a Prism too..

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I'm reading it right now. I'm about halfway through, and I'd say I like it a little better than the first book, which started a bit too slowly for my tastes.

17. ReguIa

I read somewhere that there was a possibility that book 5 is going to be released this year. Sadly I can't remember where, but apparently Weeks had said to fans to expect some ''very exciting and unexpected news'' about the final book.

I mean it doesn't sound impossible. After all at first it was set to be a trilogy right? Then it got extended to 4 and after that 5 books. If so he must have had his ending planned long ago, because let's be honest, there are so many things that connect so cleanly it must have been plotted out beforehand.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I've recently listened to Stardust by Neil Gaiman (kind of). I picked up this amazing BBC Radio 4 dramatisation of the book, my first audiobook of this kind, and had a blast listening to it. I'd never had such an immersive reading experience before and was so distracted by the full cast of voice actors and wonderful sound effects that it any stifled suspicions I might've had about the audiobook's short duration and the fact that it was, obviously (not to me), a dramatisation and thus not an actual novel. It was only a day later when I realised, while reading some of the reviews of the book, that a particular scene with a unicorn
    its explicitly detailed death apparently
    and most likely many other scenes have been treated with a generous dash of artistic liberty, which has left me wondering whether I've actually read the book or not. :confused: Either way, I've really enjoyed it. More so than The Ocean at the End of the Lane and has got me interested in reading some more of Gaiman's works (I'm open to any recommendations, I've heard Neverwhere is good). I highly recommend listening to this version if you're interested.

I've also read White Night (Dresden Files #9) and I'm currently listening to Small Favour Favor (#10) by Jim Butcher. White Night is my favourite so far, but the series keeps getting better and better with each book, so it's likely to change, especially with the goodness that I've heard is coming in the next few books.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ReguIa

@Andrew.J Small Favor is my favorite Dresden novel. Up until White Night it was a great series for me, really addictive reading. Then I finished SF, and all of sudden it was so much more.

You're going to have a hard time reading anything else from now on..

• Like Like x 1
  20. Darth Tater

Completed The Dragonbone Chair (Book one of MS&T). Awesome.

• Like Like x 5