April 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Became a Faceless Man

I was just thinking about that scene with the unicorn today, and how that, along with an F-bomb, were just tonally off for some reason. Still, probably one of his better works. And the movie, while taking some liberties, is equally good IMO. Just in a different way. Very Princess Bride-esque.

Still, Sandman is still his best work. While his prose isn't bad by any means, I think just the images and dialogue served his strengths more. But that's probably because that's how I was first introduced to his work, so the actual prose was a departure to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Still trying to finish the things I am currently on.

The re-read of The Wise Man's Fear. I am also 90% into The Bear And The Nightingale for like a few weeks most likely. I was too lazy to put the book in the audio player and finish it, how strange is that.

And I am also 20% in A Torch Against The Night by Sabaa Tahir, the second book in her An Ember In The Ashes series. It's going well, although it's not the most groundbreaking thing out there for sure - the love triangles are not very helpful in that regard either. Still, it's good enough I suppose.

3. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Yeah, Sandman is still the definitive Gaiman to me.

That said - I adore Anansi Boys will all my heart, American Gods was a real 'Woah' moment for me, Good Omens still holds up very well. I'd happily recommend all of them to be a would be Gaiman fan.

4. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Started Reign of Iron this morning, book #3 in Angus Watson's Age of Iron trilogy. Only 10% in, but a strong start. I'm hoping this one is an improvement on book #2!

5. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I finished the Abhorsen trilogy. Overall I liked it a lot. It has great female characters as leads for most of the books, plenty of action and excitement. Magic is a big and overt and because the necromancers/Abhorsens are the main magic class it has that dark fantasy/horror atmosphere sometimes.
    I would recommend audiobooks for this, they are one of the best out there. Tim Curry is just phenomenal. Read Listen if you're in the mood for plenty of magic and old school fantasy.

I'm reading The Drawing of the Three now and it's interesting that this first part with Eddie Dean and the whole situation with cocaine on the plane and Roland reads more like an urban fantasy than the weird fantasy of The Gunslinger. But I like it a lot.

6. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

@Alucard I will be starting The Dark Tower series after I finish Dancer's Lament (which I'm now really enjoying, dispite my earlier moaning, which I think just came down to the fact I haven't read Malazan for awhile or a book by Esslemont) glad to hear you are enjoying it which is making me even more eager to start it !

• Like Like x 2
  7. Alucard

It's good to have you along for the ride HoF :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. TomTB

I must've missed your moans! What's your issue? I haven't enjoyed the last two Malazan Esselmont books particularly (Assail & Blood&Bone) .. not sure whether to carry on with him or not ...

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Right. He has to draw his ka-tet from the "real world". Throughout the series, they occasionally drop back for x reasons but this one is the only one like that.

10. Alucard

I thought it was interesting how Eddie accepts the situation without much denial. Being a junkie he's used to tripping out so he goes with it easier. A normal person would probably go mental, have a nervous breakdown or something. Smart writing on Stephen King's part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

@TomTB I thought I would be enjoying this book a lot more than I am at the moment though, and it feels very much like NoK and the writing is almost childish in places. We also have probably the three most recognisable characters in the entire series in this book, and he has so far made them bland and uninteresting. Yes we can say that they are young and they don't have enough history yet, but even so I think that there should still be some charisma or spark of personality.

That was the comment I made when I was around the hundred page mark, don't let that put you off though or anyone else. The banter between Dorin and Wu is pretty nifty, and there's definitely a lot of dry humour in it to between the other characters.

In terms of quality I would say it's better than NoK, and not as good as the RotCG, Stonewielder and OST.

12. Noor Al-Shanti

Noor Al-Shanti Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg

I'm currently reading Grace of Kings by Ken Liu and I quite like it so far.

13. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

I still think that the sex scenes are little... over descriptive? That scene near the start of the book with Malevorn, for instance. It just seems gratuitous, and this from a man who wrote a scene where someone is (squeamish so spoiler tagged)
    fucked to death with their own frozen, dismembered dick
    . It's solid enough so far, though the name Gurvon Gyle is still too close to the obvious for comfort.

14. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Surgebinds with Szeth-son-son-Vallano

I might have to give that book another shot. I just stopped reading after a bit. Never truly got hooked.

15. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

It ended well for me but big chunks of it were stuff with the Romans in Gaul, which were probably my least favorite scenes from book #2. On the other hand, the end of book #2 is not something that can be repeated this time around.

16. TomTB

Fair enough. Given your past record of questionable opinions regarding certain books tgough, i actually think I'll bump it up my TBR list just a little bit .. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I wonder if some of the scenes like that come from the fact that Hair started out as a young adult writer. I've seen it before when YA writers transition into adult fantasy. Sometimes, they feel like they have to prove this book is for adults by putting in gratuitous sex, violence, and language.

18. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Maybe. It's not that the scenes themselves are out of place, more that we go into detail with these scenes in the same way Carcass go into medical detail with their song lyrics.

19. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Just "discovered" a very good epic fantasy debut that reads like the Grimm Company in writing style. Kings of the Wyld is about a bunch of old formerly famous mercs who still have it who have to reluctantly get back together to save the daughter of one of them. Lots of action, surprisingly well developed characterizations, funny.

https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Wyld-B...=1492434615&sr=1-1&keywords=kings+of+the+wyld

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  20. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I am 2/3 through Kings of the Wyld as well, I like the humor and the characterization, although at times it's an idea or two more sword and sorcerry than it should've probably been.

Still, the chances of it making the 2017 top fantasy books lists are quite nice. Also, it's a very promising debut novel so far.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017