April 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I just started book one last night and am now about 25% through. Nothing really earth-shattering, but certainly addictive.

2. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

Started reading The Burning World, sequel to Warm Bodies. Has anyone read it or seen the movie? I really liked the book when I read it maybe 4-5 years ago, and this sequel is really good as well!

There's just something about the setting that's so enjoyable for me right now. Could be because all I've read the past few months are Lightbringer and Expanse books.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Began The Farewell Stone (MST book 2). IMO, it retains the high quality of book 1 (after only 128 pages). So often it seems like writers flub up after a strong beginning. I guess you would call this a classic (?) so I'm surprised it doesn't seem to enter into many conversations in here. Both books have been slow reading for me. I get through maybe 40-50 pages each day. I guess that just means I get to relish them a bit longer. :)

My gold medaist fantasy writer is Guy Gavriel Kay but Tad Williams takes the silver. Next a handful would share the bronze.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Yes. I like the main character a lot. More than Harry Dresden. Sacrilege I know :D
    He's just way more of a badass, doesn't doubt his magic and he's not perving on women like Harry does.
    Also 1st book is a revenge story and I really like those in general.

You just described 99% of urban fantasy lol
    There's definitely some twists and turns in this series. Even in book 1. You'll see. What I appreciate is how Kadrey handles, adapts and adds to the biblical mythology. He made the entire setting, god and devil fun to read about.
    It's a good thing because I think that particular setting has a tendency to be written quite boring in fantasy.

5. Matticus Primal

My knowledge of the genre is pretty minimal, consisting of Dresden, Iron Druid and this one (plus Anita Blake from years back), but are they all told in first person? I mean, that makes the hard-boiled noir stuff come across a lot easier, but I usually prefer my narratives in the third person. Perhaps that's why I never cottoned to this genre even though it's a checklist of everything I should love. I mean, all my favorite TV shows can be considered urban fantasy, but never my books, and I think this might be the reason.

6. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I haven't been reading a ton of urban fantasy either( Harry Potter, Night Watch, Heartstrikers, is The Magicians Urban?) but they are all in third person.

I've heard it said by YA authors they are expected to lean more toward the first person these days, because apparantly that's what the teenage/young women demographics is more predisposed to. It's not a given though, just a trend which may or may not continue long-term. Who knows.

7. Matticus Primal

If Harry Potter is UF, then Magicians must be as well. And I forgot about all of those, though I've read them all with the exception of Heartstrikers. And they all certainly check all the boxes for UF.

Don't know why I just assumed that all UF must have a noir detective story to it (which I guess Night Watch sort of does). Probably says something about me as a person.

8. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

9. ReguIa

Ok guys, I'm almost finished with The Burning World. What should my next read be, Royal Assassin or The Magicians..

10. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Has Danced with Dragons

After a weak book 8 in WOT (worst in series imo) where not much happened I was getting dejected at the beginning of book 9. Again not much was happening and I found myself reading 10 or so pages and then just putting the book down because I was uninterested. Thankfully about 1/3 of the way through the book some interesting things happen (Rand and his women) and then Matt finally comes back! Thank heavens since I am interested in where that story is going.

11. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

You get a lot more Matt in the last few books so hang in there.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ryan W. Mueller

Fair warning: if you thought Book 8 was slow, just wait until Book 10.

The end of the series is great, though. Some of the best books I've ever read.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Just read through Attack on Titan 21. Hot damn, so many massive reveals in this one - it's where they finally reach the basement.

I was not expecting that
    Zeke/Beast Titan was going to turn out to be Eren's half-brother
    , or about the reasons why the main setting is walled in (
    basically, the walls are a MAD superweapon by way of being made of hundreds upon hundreds of sleeping titans
    Armin has become a Titan Shifter by way of killing Bertholt, Erwin has died, but Reiner and Zeke both escaped
    . Issue 22 can't come fast enough.

14. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I didn't read nearly at all in the last couple of months, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn was an incredible but demanding read, and I was a bit burned out with fantasy by the end of it, I've managed to read just a couple of Italian crime novels and a few comics.

Last week I finally came back to fantasy with the extremely enjoyable Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames, a humorous and captivating - if a times a bit over the top - fantasy romp.
    Today I've also finished R.S. Belcher's The Brotherhood of the Wheel, another solid entry in his collection of dark urban fantasy books, even better than the still deeply recommended Nightwise - mainly due to the much more likable MC - although I still prefer his Golgotha books.

Now onto Tom Lloyd's The Stormcaller

15. Ryan W. Mueller

Finished Dawn of Wonder by Jonathan Renshaw. This was a very good coming of age fantasy. The middle third of the book dragged a bit, but I loved the beginning and the end. Overall, I'd give it a 9/10.

16. Bill Door

Bill Door Philosophizes with Kellhus

Alright, I finished book four of Glen Cook's, 'The Instrumentalities of the Night" last night. I really liked the series, but I don't think I could recommend it to anyone but big Glen Cook fans for the simple fact that at has no conclusion because it was ended do to poor sales. Book 4 even felt streamlined like he knew he wasn't going to be able to get another one published so he tried to speed through events...it's the weakest one of the four because of this. A retelling of the 13th century was a interesting idea, but he just didn't make it accessible with the first book. He really needed to introduce the world and important people (non main chars) slowly instead of just throwing name after name at you right from the beginning. A map also would have really helped. I think he was just too ambitious with this series, frankly. He's better at coming up with ideas than he is at putting them to paper and always has been. I think that's why his novels are always on the shorter side. These ones are much longer than Black Company and Dread Empire and I'm not sure he is a good enough writer to keep most people engaged throughout novels of this length. Anyway, I enjoyed them...especially book 2 and 3. If you're a big fan of BC and DE then I would say definitely check it out, but be prepared to reach no real conclusion.

And now I've started Brandon Sanderson's - Shadow of Self. I actually enjoyed Alloy of Law more than I enjoyed his Mistborn trilogy so I'm really looking forward to delving into this sequel.

17. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Finished up Grave Peril by Jim Butcher.

I am with most in saying that this is definitely the turning point of the series. The first 2 books were solid for sure, but this introduces Michael and the sword and sets up a major future plot point. I still have some minor nitpicks here and there but on the whole it is really enjoyable. I particularly like the interplay between Harry and Michael when it comes to the religion aspect. Harry has a somewhat lack of faith in God while having complete faith in his friend whos whole faith and strength is in and comes from God. Makes for an interesting dynamic IMO. Thinking about what I have to get to in this re-read has me super excited.

8.5/10

18. ReguIa

@Cyphon For me Grave Peril was also a big step up, but it gets even way, way better with Summer Knight.

And @Bill Door, if you enjoyed Alloy you'll probably like the sequels even more. Shadows and Bands of Mourning are much stronger books.

19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

79% through book 2 of MST. The series is so stressful (in a good way) that my teeth hurt from clenching them. Tolkien and Jordan get lots of credit for their contributions to the genre but William's writing, IMO, was way ahead of its time.

My ONLY beef is that a couple of times in each book he rattles on for ten pages describing scenery. Admittedly, the images DO stick. He also spends so much time on every step of a journey.

Can anyone tell me in very general terms (i.e. *spoiler free PLEASE* -which is why I fear seeking answers from other sources).

1. The Heart Of What Was Lost. A prequel? Sequel? Or in depth side story (like Auri's book in KKC?

2. The Last King Of Osten Ard

20. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Didn't read The Heart of What Was Lost yet - as much as I liked MST, I'm not paying 14 bucks for the ebook version of a 200 pages novellas - but from the synopsis "takes place in the half-year after the end of To Green Angel Tower, (...) It also answers some questions about what actually happened in the immediate aftermath of (...)" so it seems to be an appedix to the first series.

The Witchwood Crown is instead going to be the first installment of a new trilogy, taking place roughly 30 years after the end of MST

• Informative Informative x 1