April 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Thank you @Kalavan . That's VERY helpful! Agree on the novella too. Didn't know.

2. Theophania

Theophania Ran bridges next to Kaladin

The Dresden Files was the first time I really enjoyed first-person narration. But it does seem to be a bit of a convention with urban fantasy.

I'm currently reading Called by Robert J. Crane. Looking OK so far, although I've only just started.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I've finished Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames.

I am undecided on whether to give the book 7/10 or 8/10, as the first score would probably capture quite well the literary value of the work, while the latter would be taking into account some of its guilty pleasure aspects as well.

The story itself is interesting enough, not the most innovative plot out there, especially the way it turns and twists at many places, wanting to be everywhere. I have said once that I've stopped in the middle of Color of Magic because it happens to have too much story packed into the pages. This book almost crosses that line too, with a very quest-like feel at times, but it manages to stay on the 'let's put as many tropes as possible and try to make them funny and entertaining' side. The whole book is one big pile of fantasy tropes and cliches made fun by their sheer ridiculousness so bumped up into one another.

The humor is for the most part fun. If humor could be a bit cynical and quite good natured at the same time, this book have a great example of this.

At time the deus-ex machinas and the contrast between the character's brittleness at one moment and superhuman durability in the next was a bit annoying, but it's probably for the better that way - otherwise the book would've been too good for its own good.

All in all a nice debut. This is probably one of most entertaining and fun mindless adventures you could ever take in the fantasy genre, and as far as sword and sorcery goes, you could hardly get a book that's more sword and sorcery than this one. Quest story lines ftw!

No, but really - it's quite nice. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

So on my re-read through of Dresden one thing that is bothering me is that when Harry is in trouble with the Council a member or multiple members don't soul gaze him to just prove his innocence or guilt.

Outside of it being "freaky" or what have you and staying with you forever, is there ever a reason given as to why they wouldn't have jumped right to that? I can't remember them ever giving a concrete reason and IMO it is kind of dumb.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Theophania

Theophania Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I think there are two reasons for this:
    1. Soulgazes aren't a trivial thing - and they go both ways. So it makes sense that people don't do it willy-nilly. There's a comment in Proven Guilty that indicates that a soulgaze is probably part of the trial process. So the wardens investigate, bring someone to trial if there's enough evidence, and the soulgaze is done then. This kind of makes sense - if a soulgaze is a significant thing to do on purpose, you don't want to 'waste' it by doing it before you're really sure it's needed. So essentially it comes in to finally prove guilt. It's worth noting that although Harry is under the Doom of Damocles at the beginning, he's never actually been accused of anything (at least, not after Justin). It's all Morgan et al hanging around and harassing him, not any kind of official action.
    2. It would reduce the tension something awful, if there was a simple way for Harry to get out from under!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cyphon

Fair enough on point 1. I don't disagree but I feel like in Summer Knight they kind of stretched the issue a bit. As for point 2 well.....yeah lol. The book would have been over in 100 pages.

7. Darth Tater

I think both points bleed together. I was going to joke earlier about point #2. It's kund of like the Eagles in LOTR. There was a "reason" the Eagkes couldn't fly Frodo (or just the ring for that matter) straight to Mordor or fly the fellowship first class at least to the border of Mordor. If Sauron didn't notice (even though he DID-based on the 9 riders chasing them from the beginning then he wasn't going to notice a bird or two flying about. IMO, the eagles , were a lame mechanism for Deus ex machina (rescuing Gandalf and later Sam and Frodo) and had they flown the ring in and dropped it in the fire then all we have is a novella rather than a trilogy to follow up the hobbit, and we've stepped on a butterfly (OK...shot down "Mothra"*) and where would we be today?

*I doubt anyone alive in the 60's need look up "Mothra" if so inclined.

8. Darth Tater

I completed book 2 of MST. Really good,IMO. Unfortunately, it was just kind of a set up for book 3. There were no real resolutions.

Can somebody Please help me with this? I know in the paper version that book 3 is divided into two parts. I thought in the Kindle version Book 3 was in one part. But I've been reading stuff and now I'm not sure. I'm not even sure if it's book 3 or book 4 that is available. I think one part is not even available. I have checked several different sources and get conflicting information. I cannot read too much without getting spoilers. So I am hoping that it is all together. Does anybody know what is going on here?

Edit: I only read one or two lines but the one available starts off with

Guthwulf

So maybe if you have the physical copies you can check for me if you don't mind.

I cannot even get straight information on the covers of each book without getting different stories.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  9. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I think this is the one you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Angel-...93531969&sr=8-1&keywords=to+green+angel+tower

The confusion comes because the book was split into two due to its length. In an e-book, they can include the whole thing. And it's only $9.99, which is a really good deal for a book that long.

10. Ryan W. Mueller

11. Ryan W. Mueller

It's difficult to tell with the reviews because some people mention it not having Part 1, but I think they might have fixed that now. In the synopsis section, it only gives summaries of the first two books, not Part 1 as well.

12. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

This is the version I have on my kindle, which is labelled as books 3 and 4.

To Green Angel Tower: Memory, Sorrow & Thorn Books 3 & 4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZPGK9G4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Udybzb76BC2HZ

Have a look at the preview, see if it matches the start of your version?

13. TomTB

14. Darth Tater

Right. One minute I think both are includedthe next itisonlybook 3A and the next 3B. I've checked posts on William's site relating to this, reddit, goodreads, page counts, etc. I won't bore you with the particulars but nobody seems to agree. Maybe the problem was corrected over time?
    We Americans have an inordinate aversion to simplicity.

Edit: wait...how many pages long is it?

15. TomTB

Not sure, my version doesn't have page numbers. I remember each 1% progress taking about 16-18 page turns .. it's a long'un!

Here's a screen grab of the first page of the contents of the full book 3&4 version ... if it helps :)
    Screenshot_20170430-084602.png

16. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

17. Darth Tater

Thanks, Tom. That gave me another idea too but alas. I'm just going to read the kindle version when the time comes. Some of the "evidence" is encouraging.

It's weird. Part 1 is about 800 pages. Same with part 2. But THIS one is 1,100. According to Wiki, at 1600 pages it isone of the longest books ever written!

18. Darth Tater

THANK YOU! (All)

19. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Works for me.

+1

20. Cyphon

Finished up The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence.

A meh conclusion to a meh series and glad to be done with it. Both of the main characters have been interesting reads throughout but there was just never a whole lot about the plot that grabbed me and demanded that I keep turning pages. No particularly interesting magic system or action and all in all it just left off feeling kind of bland. I remember liking his first series though it does need a re-read, but I think I have kind of soured on his style after this trilogy.

6/10