April 2017. What SF books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Apr 1, 2017.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I'm still on Caliban's War and Mother of Eden. Enjoying both!

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Completed The Human Division. The 5th of the 6 book Old Mans War series. This one was quite good. It mostly concerned a character from book one and was like a bunch of short stories that could stand on their own but all fit together to make one larger story. Very exciting ending. Possibly my favorite so far and I'm very much looking forward to the final installment. :)

3. TomTB

Nearly finished Caliban's War. These Expanse books are just so good. Brilliant characters and character interaction. I'm thoroughly enjoying my first ever series re-read .. I think it'll be the first of many!

• Like Like x 1
  4. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

And I'm 350 pages into Babylon's Ashes. Feels great to pick this one up again after not having read anything at all in the past 2 months.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

So I'm now 430 pages into Babylon's Ashes and there's one thing bugging me.
    I just got to the point where Earth, Mars and Fred's OPA faction launched a full attack against the Free Navy. In the book it's described that it could go either way, like 50/50.
    Now how the hell can the Free Navy stand up to the combined fleet of Earth, Mars AND half the OPA? Like it doesn't add up at all. Let's say that Inaros deal with Duarte got him half the ships in the MCRN fleet, which is VERY generous. That would add up to the Free Navy having 1/3 as many ships as the Consolidated Fleet (Earth and Mars together) if we assume the original MCRN fleet and Earth's fleet where equally big

I'm not looking for any spoilers, this was just a rant. Needed to get it off my chest:D

6. Theophania

Theophania Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Just starting Red Rising (Pierce Brown). It was recommended to me - and I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be YA (cliches, love triangles, angst...).

• Like Like x 1
  7. TomTB

I think everyone in the world thinks this book is pretty awesome. Except me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TomTB

I started my re-read of Abaddon's Gate this morning. That prologue ( .. you know, the bit with the rapid deceleration .. ) is awesome!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Theophania

@TomTB And me. It now qualifies for my second-fastest-ever abandonment of a book. I loathe books written in the present tense. Not only that, I could tell that - apart from the present tense - the author's style was going to irritate me no end. Portentious is the word that springs to mind.

Fortunately, I've managed to return it to Amazon for credit. :)

10. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I'm not sure I have ever read a novel in present tense.

11. Theophania

The only one I've ever managed to get through, I think, is Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall. And that was third-person-present. But usually, present-tense narration is an instant turn-off for me. It's supposed to give a sense of immediacy to the action, as if you're right there experiencing events with the main character. It never works out that way to me: always seems vague and dreamy. (With a side order of trendy literary pretentiousness.)

Years ago, when I was younger, I might have persevered, I suppose. Now I'm just too old to spend the remaining hours of my life on a writing style I really, really don't like. There are plenty of other books out there for me to read, and plenty of other readers for authors who like to write in the present tense.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I have read a few. Definitely The Hunger Games. And the Red Rising books.

I seem to recall both Guy Gavriel Kay and N.K. Jemisin have books in present tense, but I may be misremembering.

At any rate, although it is not my favorite characteristic in a book, I find that you stop noticing after you are into the book.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

The Night Circus is in present tense. I think The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin, as Sneaky mentioned is present tense as well, but I'm not sure either.

I didn't like either, but for other reasons than present tense.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Theophania

I never do. It's like fingernails across a blackboard the whole way. :mad:

15. Bierschneeman

Hey, night circus is still on my shelf from the book club forever ago....still haven't read it.

16. TomTB

You should! One of the best books I read last year..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Darth Tater

Bizarre atmosphere. Creepy, unique and fascinating. She makes you feel like you're there...or wish you could be. It's her first book and there are weaknesses but, IMO, overall a worthwhile, enjoyable, and very memorable read.

18. Bierschneeman

Just finished wheels of chance~H.G. Wells

Okay, technically not sci-fi but bear with me. (Is that the right bare?) Wells is clearly an early master of sci-fi , in this book he goes for a contemporary subject. Bicycles were hitting the height of fascination, and fad (compare to pokemon go last year) people not on bikes had no clue what the interest was in this new technological machine. And people on them were exploring the beautiful counties they never explored before.

This book is like what happens when sci-fi becomes not only reality but popular.

A drapers assisstant goes on holiday, cycling on his new bike he's never ridden, to the sea. But he spies a beautiful girl in gray and the whole bit becomes like a romantic comedy (by a real writer not the garbage we're used to.) But it also becomes much more, it deals on morals and chivalry, but more importantly it challenges the resistence to this "new women" wanting rights and privledges. It quite literally asks questions like "why cant a woman do that?"

It's a fantastic story of modern technology , unrequited romance, holidays, and deceit. It has also held up with time better than a lot of his other novels.

Best Wells I've read so far.

8.5/10

19. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Yes, you got it right the first time. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Darth Tater

Tomorrow I plan to begin the 6th and final installment of The Old Man's War by John Scalzi. It's been a fun series, overall. Nothing deep but a nice change of pace.

• Like Like x 2