Are we nerds?

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
Better be careful about that.

There was a news story recently about some teenager in the far east (I want to say Korea, but am not sure) who died after he went to an Internet cafe and starting playing Diablo III for 40 hours straight without food or water. Some guy who works there went in to check on him and found him collapsed.

That's my 'killjoy' moment for the day...
Taiwan.

btkong

Staff member
+1 for the 50 Shades of Grey. Ironically, I just had some girl I know from my gym yesterday telling me I should read it -- didn't think too much about it until I read this discussion. Now I have to read it to see what all this hype is about!

Antoxx

+1 for the 50 Shades of Grey. Ironically, I just had some girl I know from my gym yesterday telling me I should read it -- didn't think too much about it until I read this discussion. Now I have to read it to see what all this hype is about!
Better yet, read it and do a review on it. And if you've bought a copy of it you can always give it to Jon when you're finished.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Better yet, read it and do a review on it. And if you've bought a copy of it you can always give it to Jon when you're finished.
LOL I think I'll limit the crap novels I read to one every few months thanks very much!

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I will not lessen my poor opinions on Twilight or 50 Shades of Gray, although 50SoG is a better written couple of books.

You want to read either of those series go ahead, I could recommend 50 books that you'd likely enjoy more.

What I do resent is being told who and what I resent.

If you read Twilight or 50 Shades of Gray do I resent you? A little, I think it's poor literature and you could have done better, I think I could recommend you allot better books to read, for example, the Heroes would blow your mind if that was your base line or the Malazan series, although that's at lease an 8 month commitment.

Frizzo0133

I don't want it to be personal, Arial is one one of the best read women that I've come across, and I hope she forgives me for my anti-Twilight motivations. I love almost every thing I read from her, she's pretty close to me, we can only get so far apart, she's one of the fastest readers on the site, she digs what I dig. I don't want there to be any sort of animosity between us.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I don't want it to be personal, Arial is one one of the best read women that I've come across, and I hope she forgives me for my anti-Twilight motivations. I love almost every thing I read from her, she's pretty close to me, we can only get so far apart, she's one of the fastest readers on the site, she digs what I dig. I don't want there to be any sort of animosity between us.
Where's the +1 button on this forum?

Frizzo0133

This will totally look like I'm sucking up, but how on earth is Nynaeve not awesome? She used Bael'fore during her Aes'Sedai exam and managed to curse her way into being an Aes'Sedai. Blood and Bloody Ashes, what more do you need? She forced all of the Boderlands into joining her husband against his will. The only character that is more universally loved than her is Matt.

Had the comment been Perrin is not awesome you might have gathered some support, although even he gained some support in the last book.

afa

I think whatever good she has done might have been far more enjoyable if her character wasn't so damn annoying. That has really been my biggest complaint with The Wheel of Time; I think Robert Jordan was an excellent writer, but he really did a pretty shoddy job with his female characters.

With the exceptions of Min and Birgitte, there isn't a single female character in the series that I don't physically want to strangle myself and save The Dark One the hassle.

I do, however, agree with you about Perrin.

Derk of Derkholm

With the exceptions of Min and Birgitte, there isn't a single female character in the series that I don't physically want to strangle myself and save The Dark One the hassle.
I'd include Aviendha and Moiraine :)

Regarding 50 SOG and Twilight ... I have not read either ... but after reading some of the critiques on Amazon I am sure enough that I don't have to read them to form an opinion on them...

Best regards,
Andy

Frizzo0133

I've always dug Nynaeve, she's ferocious. At least she's not Faile, the single most annoying female character in all of fantasy, although her hardcore moment in Towers of Midnight kind of made me fist pump.

Seriously though, am I the only one excited to see Moiraine back with Sanderson writing her? Me thinks some bad-assness is forth coming.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
... every time I go to my Barnes and Noble I hide all of the copies of the Twilight books and the 50 Shades of Grey novel's I can in different parts of the store because I can't stand the thought of someone reading drivel.
That's a lot of work, considering the number of copies of 50 Shades that were in B&N on my last trip. (Probably wouldn't try anything like that myself because all the copies were in direct view of the security guard at the door. Though I'm with you in spirit.)

Frizzo0133

That's a lot of work, considering the number of copies of 50 Shades that were in B&N on my last trip. (Probably wouldn't try anything like that myself because all the copies were in direct view of the security guard at the door. Though I'm with you in spirit.)
Barnes and Noble is a big store, lol. It's easier than you'd think, how many people visit the travel section or the 60% off sections?

That's besides the point though, when Memory of the Light comes out expect me to absent for a bit as I read it three times, at least, to absorb everything and makes sure my opinions have foundation.

Yes I am that big of a nerd, I'm already planning on three reads of the WoT Finale.

Antoxx

Barnes and Noble is a big store, lol. It's easier than you'd think, how many people visit the travel section or the 60% off sections?

That's besides the point though, when Memory of the Light comes out expect me to absent for a bit as I read it three times, at least, to absorb everything and makes sure my opinions have foundation.

Yes I am that big of a nerd, I'm already planning on three reads of the WoT Finale.
Just for you Frizzo.

Money woes in marriage; Asset annihilation; Why Boomers are good for the economy; Big goals for 2012; Personal finance guidelines for 30-somethings | interest.co.nz

Go to number 6.