Are you a crafty person?.. then show off your work!

Sparrow

Journeyed there and back again
Thought I'd start a thread for folks to show off their creative side.
Whether it be drawing and painting, making jewelry, designing costumes, traditional art to folk art, scrapbooking, working with metal, wood or clay... or whatever you might be into. If you're not exactly the creative type or artistically inclined, well perhaps post a pic of something that's special to you.

I'm an artist by trade, but lately I've pushed away my pencils and paints (when time permits), and been making things... sort of in the Folk Art realm and even straying to Steampunk things, taking everyday objects and repurpose them as inspiration allows.
I made this desk lamp a few weeks back... using the base from a broken table fan, some copper pipe left over from a plumbing project, and an old milk bottle. The goal was to use only what I had at hand without any trips to the hardware store, and except for the light bulb I took from the microwave oven which I of course had to replace I was successful! I did some faux effects to give it a nicely worn patina and plugged it in... yeah, it actually works!
seamaidlamp1_by_mockingbirdoutpost-d8zej5e.jpg seamaidlamp2_by_mockingbirdoutpost-d8zej5u.jpg seamaidlamp3_by_mockingbirdoutpost-d8zej64.jpg

... and two examples of my more conventional work...
mercysketch_by_mockingbirdoutpost-d8xcx5r.jpg stormy_strickiesttrick_by_mockingbirdoutpost-d8xcy7c.jpg

Nuomer1

Looks like this thread didn't really take off . . . . .
And I have a dilemma - I ought to fall within this classification, and ought to be posting loads of stuff here - but if the thread is dying, I don't want to spend too much effort at the moment.
Nevetheless - my other hobby is woodcarving. Look here
If the thread takes off, I will join in.

Sparrow

Looks like this thread didn't really take off . . . . .
And I have a dilemma - I ought to fall within this classification, and ought to be posting loads of stuff here - but if the thread is dying, I don't want to spend too much effort at the moment.
Nevetheless - my other hobby is woodcarving. Look here
If the thread takes off, I will join in.

That's your work?
If so, excellent!.. love the carving of the two rabbits at play.
Two animals that I love as subjects, that I myself return to again and again... are the rabbit and the fox.
If I get some spare time today I'll post some art that features both. Btw, do you like or are you familiar with the American Craftsman style (sometimes called the American Arts & Crafts movement), as your work seems reminiscent of that style?

Nuomer1

That's your work?
If so, excellent!.. love the carving of the two rabbits at play.
Two animals that I love as subjects, that I myself return to again and again... are the rabbit and the fox.
If I get some spare time today I'll post some art that features both. Btw, do you like or are you familiar with the American Craftsman style (sometimes called the American Arts & Crafts movement), as your work seems reminiscent of that style?
Hi Sparrow
"Two rabbits at play" . . . Oh, such a sweet view of the world. These are not fluffy bunnies. They are hares, doing what hares do, particularly in spring - they are fighting for dominance, territory - and females. Such is life . . . . dammit, I can't find the emoticon for "lecherous grin".
"American Craftsman style". I must have seen some in the various magazines, but not under that name except for carved-and-painted decoys. My style is just what I can do - I like doing mirror frames because I can put the odd twist into the work - only carving one wing on a bat, for a start, or only doing half a knot when I tie two dragon tails together. And on TrollBridge I only had to cut half the bridge, two of the four supports . . . And one (recently sold, I hope I have kept a photo somewhere) shows a rough stone wall with an arched doorway (the mirror area) and a Tenniel-style Alice peering into it, and peering back out at herself. Etc.
And that relates to thin pierced work and low relief. I don't do much in full 3D, I am not that good at it!

Good talking too you . . . there must be others out there? Let's see more responses.

rajwible

Helped Logen count his fingers
I've actually only started to document the stuff I do. I mean, I'm a photographer, and that is in itself documentation. But I'm awful at documenting my work. Often the stuff I do is just small, crafty things that I don't even think of needing any documentation. Recently though I've been into rehabbing furniture and building stuff out of wood, found or purchased. I'll have to take some photos. I really would like to see this thread happen as well.

@Nuomer1 Your work is really amazing. I absolutely do not have that kind of finesse in anything I do, other than editing. Haha. Kudos to you, sir. :p
@Sparrow That lamp is great. Seriously. I really like the industrial-shabby style it has going on. I've definitely not seen anything like it before.

Sparrow

I've actually only started to document the stuff I do. I mean, I'm a photographer, and that is in itself documentation. But I'm awful at documenting my work. Often the stuff I do is just small, crafty things that I don't even think of needing any documentation. Recently though I've been into rehabbing furniture and building stuff out of wood, found or purchased. I'll have to take some photos. I really would like to see this thread happen as well.

@Nuomer1 Your work is really amazing. I absolutely do not have that kind of finesse in anything I do, other than editing. Haha. Kudos to you, sir. :p
@Sparrow That lamp is great. Seriously. I really like the industrial-shabby style it has going on. I've definitely not seen anything like it before.

Thanks!.. when I get some spare time I'll post some pics of a clock I made last year, it pays homage to my favorite critter... the Fox.
And you should definitely post pics of your stuff. I like seeing how others approach creating things.

This is a painting I did a long time ago, much more fantasy related... well, at least my kind of fantasy.
Moonspray Madness (faraway).jpg Moonspray Madness (closer).jpg