Audiobook Listeners: App Recommendation? (Android)

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
For those that listen to audiobooks, do you have an app you use to play your files? I have been having a lot of trouble lately with the programs I have used. They keep resetting my playlist or forgetting my spot so I have to browse around hour long files until I find where I was.

I have tried Rocket Player, Amazon MP3, Winamp, and my built in phone's mp3 player. All of them screw my listening up. I'm about to throw my phone down a flight of stairs. So, what do you use?

And no, switching to an iPhone isn't a suggestion because I'm a nearly 32 year old grown man, not a 70 year old tech-illiterate grandparent or a 14 year old Twitter obsessed girl. Also Apple sucks.

This might not belong in the Fantasy forum, if you guys think I should move it over to Anything just let me know.

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
For those that listen to audiobooks, do you have an app you use to play your files? I have been having a lot of trouble lately with the programs I have used. They keep resetting my playlist or forgetting my spot so I have to browse around hour long files until I find where I was.

I have tried Rocket Player, Amazon MP3, Winamp, and my built in phone's mp3 player. All of them screw my listening up. I'm about to throw my phone down a flight of stairs. So, what do you use?

And no, switching to an iPhone isn't a suggestion because I'm a nearly 32 year old grown man, not a 70 year old tech-illiterate grandparent or a 14 year old Twitter obsessed girl. Also Apple sucks.

This might not belong in the Fantasy forum, if you guys think I should move it over to Anything just let me know.
I though you were a moderator? You can make your own rules! And sorry, can't help on the audio front.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I find that winamp isn't really that good, skips and repeats a bit sometimes.

DoubleTwist works well, but it's functions are great when the phone is locked.

I'm trying to find a better one.

xbit

Possibly a Darkfriend
I think "Listen Audiobook Player" is really nice with tons of configurable features and is half the price of Smart. (Smart costs $2 to keep most features after 30 day). I have nothing against Smart either, it's a good player and I have purchase it as well, but do yourself a favor and at least try out Listen. It also has a 7 day return policy.

xbit

Possibly a Darkfriend
@Jon, are you asking about Smart being free? Yeah, after the first 30 days you have to pay $2 to keep all the pro features (playback speed, lock screen controls, download cover art, etc). These features where important to me so I paid the $2. It still works for free after 30 days, it just reverts to the basic version and you lose a lot of the "pro" features.

I listen to audio books so much that paying a dollar or two is nothing if it gets me a better experience. I just personally now prefer the experience of "Listen" and it's even cheaper than "Smart" if you compare against the full version.

But like I said, they're both excellent at what they do and it's a personal choice of what you like and don't like. You can't really go wrong with either in my opinion... miles better than trying to use a regular audio player to play an audio book.

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Need to know this as well. Good recs, I'll try them out. I've been using the default player which does NOT remember your place! I usually use my ipod but I've lost the charger about a month ago.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I've been using Smart AudioBook Player as suggested by Jon Snow and it's been very good. I don't really need the premium functions, so I will probably not pay for it, but it's excellent and would pay for it if I needed to.