Audiobooks with a cast

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by TomTB, May 11, 2017.

1. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I'm currently listening to Locke & Key by Joe Hill, which is an audiobook based on the comic book he contributes to / writes.

It's read by a cast of characters, and has sound effects etc, and I'm really enjoying the experience.

Can anyone recommend other good audiobooks which benefit from more than one narrator? Doesn't need to be fantasy.

2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

3. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I listened to an old Lord of the rings audio book done like that. It sucked. It was very abridged. Then they rewrote what they left on completely to a point of nonrecognition in parts, they deleted whole characters and shoehorned new plots in it.

The new plots all sucked, and the voice actors were really weird and didn't fit. Frodo became a slapstick comedian, while Gandalf sounded dumb and drunk.

4. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

Sanderson and Weeks have worked with Graphic Audio for full casting of their audiobooks.

I prefer a single excellent narrator with a talent for voices. Steven Pacey is my favorite full cast :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Alucard

I might be in a minority with this and that's fine, but every production of theirs I have tried to listen I fucking hated. Like really hated.
    All those sound effects, music and over the top narration just take away from the base text. I guess I'm not their target audience, because in my mind they ruin everything they touch lol

I don't know if there is an award for narrators of audiobooks, but if there isn't the industry should invent one and give one to him just for Joe Abercrombie's books. That man is part of the reason why I love Abercrombie so much for sure. Amazing work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  6. TomTB

Thanks @Alucard ... I own Dune in audio format so will try that one out at some time.

I get your point regarding over the top narration and sound effects. I'm not sure I'd like it either in a standard book adaptation. With Locke & Key, it works really well but then again it's a comic book adaptation so there's more room for artistic license!

Yep .. Steven Pacey is awesome! Not just because I'm English, but I much prefer British narrators to American ones. I find the American accent, generally, a bit one dimensional, which doesn't give itself as well to multi-cast narration. Very generally speaking of course ;)

7. Alucard

I'm not British but I feel the same. My favorite narrators are all British except for Luke Daniels, but I love him for his Iron Druid work, so plenty of Irish accents there.
    On the other hand when it's appropriate to the book I love hearing american accents rather than standard American one. Like with White Trash Zombie series. I adore that Louisiana Cajun dialect and accent.

I'm confused a bit though...how do you narrate a comic book? Wouldn't it be over in a jiffy?

Btw one more amazing British narrator is Simon Jones. He did Bartimaeus Trilogy. I think you would like that series Tom.

8. TomTB

I don't read comic books, including Locke & Key, but with this one I imagine it's a specially written audiobook based on the comics.

It's one I keep seeing mentioned but not one I've ever considered ... I'll take a closer look! :)

9. Alucard

I see. Never heard about that before.

Please do. It's technically middle-grade, but for an adult reader/listener it offers a lot more. Especially on topic of British society, class relations and class conflict. It's quite British in that sense.
    The main character is hilarious, and one of my favorites in general so the books have that healthy mix of humor and seriousness.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sparrow

Sparrow Journeyed there and back again

Just about any full cast production from the BBC is great.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, is still my favorite BBC audio performance... a close second is Lord of the Rings.

11. TomTB

Hhmm, is

a different version to

I imagine there are a few versions knocking around out there ..

12. Bierschneeman

I've listened to three,

13. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

The BBC versions of Terry Pratchett's books were quite nice as far as I remember. I haven't been through all of them yet though.

As far as narrators go - my favorite is Tim Gerard Raynolds in The Ryiria Revelations - he over-delivers so much in it. He also does the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown and he is brilliant in it too. He also narrates the Prince of Fools trilogy by Mark Lawrence, although I've stopped in the middle of the first book, because the story was kind of meh.

Kate Reading and Michael Kramer are a great team - they have narrated The Wheel of Time and many of Brandon Sanderson's other works, almost all of them actually( especially Michael Kramer, who narrates some of Brandon's books alone).

Rupert Degas does an outstanding job with The Kingkiller Chronicles - if you want to know how Kvothe sounds, this is the version for you. Especially since this is the British narration, not the US one.

From the Graphic Audio - I have listened only to The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett and The Widdershin's Adventures by Ari Marmell. Both are done quite nice, especially The Demon Cycle, which I would've abandoned till now if it wasn't for the fact that the voice actors bring some live into its awful plot that sprang in book two. The Widdershin's Adventures is a more simplistic read, but it's a nice palate cleanser, if you don't expect to be awed or something. I wouldn't go the Graphic Audio way for things like The Stormlight Archive or Mistborn. 1st - they are too rich reads for the graphic audio adaptations, and 2nd - they are narrated by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading anyway, so you get a top notch narration.

If I remember well - Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo was narrated by multiple narrators for the different characters. The first book is a solid 8/10 or 9/10 read. The second book I've stopped 1/4 through, because I wasn't in the mood for it at the time. But it's worth trying.

The thing is - the truly masterful narrators can do multiple male and female voices and most of the time, especially with the more established series out there, the narrations are 8/10 and above. The only awful narration that I have encountered so far was that of The Powder Mage trilogy and it forced me to stop at the beginning of the first book, because the narrator couldn't do different voices and I had no way of knowing who spoke when.

And in the first person POV written books like The Kingkiller Chronicles, Red Rising trilogy, Robin Hoob's Fitz books and so on, you need only one narrator anyway, so if you feel hesitant about that - those are a good place for you to start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Bierschneeman