August 2015 - What fantasy books were we reading?

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
Coming close to finishing American Gods. I am just not really a fan of this book. I stuck with it because I was intrigued by the overall idea but the execution just never connected for me. Not much of a fan of Shadow which definitely hurts the book but I also just get nothing out of any of it. It has failed throughout to really draw on any emotion from me as a reader or to make me connect with the emotion of any of the characters. Maybe because there really wasn't much of it there. I think the character from the book (Laura) summed it up best when she told Shadow that he wasn't dead but she wasn't sure that he was living either. That about describes this book to me.

I don't think it is bad, it is just completely forgettable and does nothing specifically well. It peaked at okay and at the worst times was boring and uneventful.

Hand of Fear

I finished up reading King Rat by China Mieville late last night, and as regular Forum members will know I've had an up and down sort of ride with him. This is the 4th book I have read by him (along with PSS, The Scar and The City & The City, in that order). To me the quality of his books seemed to go down with each book and dramatically with TC & TC, so I started reading this book with a little bit of trepidation, but the opening few paragraphs setup it beautifully and I wish that perhaps the rest of the book was that eloquent because I know he can do it.

The book then goes to the main character Saul who's traveling home to see his dad, Mieville does a very good job of building up a dark and foreboding atmosphere here and things quickly move along.

I'm going to put the rest in spoilers just incase here
One of the standout sentences to me in the book was this 'She was.....what?' A....Fucking......Rat and Saul's reaction to this, which is I think one thing that annoyed me a bit. If I was told my mum was a rat, and that I was a half-rat I think my reaction would be a little bit lets say mental. Saul's transition from a human to a half rat for me happened to quickly, and he seemed to change and except it to easily.

The music also plays a big part in the book, I'm not really into Drum and Bass and the sections where they were mixing tracks kind of left me a little flat as I didn't really understand the terms

All in all though I did enjoy the book and the storyline and how it all turned out, I think the book could have done with about another 100 pages or so just to add bits here and there. So it had a 3 out of 5 on Goodreads but real rating 3.5 out of 5.

Griffin

Despite mainly focusing on my non-fiction book yesterday I managed to hit the 20% mark with The Fifth Season (N.K. Jemisin). It's still mainly story setting and not really clear what the character will be up to, but it's quite interesting.

Next to that I finally started Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie so I finally met the Monza's.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really enjoying To Green Angel Tower; there is a marked increase in pace from previous books in the series. I'm determined to finish the series before September, seeing as I started reading it last September!

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Really enjoying To Green Angel Tower; there is a marked increase in pace from previous books in the series. I'm determined to finish the series before September, seeing as I started reading it last September!
*cough* Post-Dinosaur Lords coping mechanism *cough*

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

kenubrion

Last edited:

kenubrion

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heads up on a new author who's writing great sci-fi AND great fantasy, by the name of Edward Robertson. I'm into the third book of his superb space opera Rebel Stars, and just started his fantasy trilogy called The Cycle of Arawn. His prose is excellent and he's very prolific.

http://www.amazon.com/Edward-W.-Robertson/e/B004NW3PYY/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_ebooks_1
I have several of his books sat on my kindle. A lot of them are either free or rather cheap on Amazon UK.

Hand of Fear

Started reading the tomb that's Dust of Dreams, so far the POV are jumping around way to much, and on top of that I'm having a slight problem remembering all the plot lines.

Khartun

Started reading the tomb that's Dust of Dreams, so far the POV are jumping around way to much, and on top of that I'm having a slight problem remembering all the plot lines.
Has it been a long time since you read Reaper's Gale and Toll the Hounds?

I can't imagine trying to read Malazan with long gaps of time in between books. It would be confusing as hell. However, the TOR Reread of Fallen would come in handy for brushing up on everything.

Hand of Fear

It has been Reaper's Gale was read back in October 2014, Toll the Hounds in January 2015, Stonewielder March 2015, OST May 2015.

I think I started the series back in 2013 ! Think I may have to take a look at the TOR Reread.

rajwible

Helped Logen count his fingers
@Khartun : That was an amazing link! Super helpful. I wish I had known about it ages ago! I know it was meant for Hand of Fear up there, but thanks anyways. :)

samalam_91

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I just finished The Blade Itself and it was awesome! If it wasn't for that fact that the plot only started to progress forward in the last 100 pages I would have rated it 5 out of 5. Glokta has made himself a spot on my all time favourite characters list :D

GreyMouser

Wow, my thanks as well Khartun! I figured I would do a re-read some day, probably a long time from now, but with this link I will save time and probably have a much better understanding. Awesome link.

Ryan W. Mueller

I can't imagine trying to read Malazan with long gaps of time in between books. It would be confusing as hell. However, the TOR Reread of Fallen would come in handy for brushing up on everything.
Maybe that's my problem with Malazan. I wait too long between books. The problem is that I often find the books to be a chore to read, and by the time I finish with one, I need a break before reading another.

Maybe, after five books, I should just accept that Malazan isn't my thing. I've tried, but it has never really sucked me in.