August 2015 - What fantasy books were we reading?

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
Maybe that's my problem with Malazan. I wait too long between books. The problem is that I often find the books to be a chore to read, and by the time I finish with one, I need a break before reading another.

Maybe, after five books, I should just accept that Malazan isn't my thing. I've tried, but it has never really sucked me in.
I don't think it is how long you wait. When I tried Malazan I read the first 4 books pretty much back to back and still couldn't follow most of it. Too many character switches and character additions along with a ton of information, a lot of which is never even really explained as far as I ever figured out.

People like what they like but to this day I do not understand all of the buzz surrounding Malazan. They are definitely done on an epic scale and the great moments are fantastic but I found them to be too few amongst all of the tedium in the books. Just one mans opinion though. I actually own all of the books and am not sure I will ever read them lol.

rajwible

Helped Logen count his fingers

kenubrion

I have several of his books sat on my kindle. A lot of them are either free or rather cheap on Amazon UK.
Yeah Tom, I'm getting them all on Kindle United for free, he's a great guy for participating. My deal as you know is hunting for new stuff and authors who are worth recommending, like Allan Batchelder and his Steel Blood & Fire. But he's one of the rare ones who appear fully formed as an accomplished author.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I finally received Before they are Hanged in the mail. I started it yesterday evening and I'm about 50 pages in. I just read an amazing Glokta chapter. This is the best Abercrombie stuff I've read so far. Glokta is amazingly evil, deliciously sarcastic, and yet infinitely likable. I agree with @samalam_91 up there in this regard.

kenubrion

I'm reading The Cycle of Arawn, a wonderful epic fantasy trilogy (only $3.99 US) that was the first published work of Edward Robertson, whose sci-fi series Rebels Stars I'm also reading. He's gonna be a star I tells ya. Wonderful prose and characterizations as well as non-stop action. Apparently he's rebuffing offers from major publishing houses since he's done well on his own.

GreyMouser

I just finally started Queen of Fire last night and it is off to a very promising start!... Which is why I'm so very tired today.

While Tower Lord was quite a bit slower moving than Blood Song, I think I liked it just as much. Not wanting to give anything away here, I will just say that I definitely like the way the story is growing and building.

samalam_91

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I was going to read the next Dresden Files book but now I know that @Silvion Night has his copy of Before They Are Hanged I am going to dive into that :D

@Jakyro How far into The Blade Itself are you?

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
I don't think it is how long you wait. When I tried Malazan I read the first 4 books pretty much back to back and still couldn't follow most of it. Too many character switches and character additions along with a ton of information, a lot of which is never even really explained as far as I ever figured out.
I am bad with names, so Malazan for me was a cruel torture instrument. Altogether the series surely has a cast of thousands. I didn't stand a chance.

Ser Pounce

Have about 50 pages left in Queen of Fire. Pretty meh overall. Weakest of the trilogy so far. Haven't heard great things about the ending so not hopeful my opinion changes, at least not in the positive.

Plan to start Fool's Errand to end August.

samalam_91

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am bad with names, so Malazan for me was a cruel torture instrument. Altogether the series surely has a cast of thousands. I didn't stand a chance.
I found this the most challenging aspect of Malazan, remembering who the hell everyone was. This is where I found the Malazan wiki page invaluable.

Boreas

Staff member
I think I was engrossed as soon as I met Glokta :D
The prologue caught my interest right from the start, but Glokta definitely pulled me into the story. My favourite character from the trilogy.

kenubrion

A Game of Universe by Eric Nylund, the number 1 book on the science fantasy subgenre on Ben's bestsciencefiction.com site. It's great, can't put it down.

samalam_91

A Game of Universe by Eric Nylund, the number 1 book on the science fantasy subgenre on Ben's bestsciencefiction.com site. It's great, can't put it down.
Sounds awesome, I might have to pick it up :D

paul james

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
Really enjoying Gardens of The Moon. I read very slow so big fantasy tales I seem to absorb and just let the story/characters flow.

However I struggle to read back to back books in the same genre. Finished a long Tad Williams before starting GoTM so I re-read part of a Stephen King novel for a couple of weeks.

kenubrion

Sounds awesome, I might have to pick it up :D
Oh you really should, totally unique and exciting, and only $2.99. I didn't think fantasy could be blended with sci-fi but this sure does. Really cool sci-fi too.