August 2015 - What fantasy books were we reading?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
What's more likely is that the author is going for a unique writing style just Tolkien did, and it in itself confused me.
Well I've downloaded the sample and read the first two chapters. I didn't find anything unique about her writing style, it's pretty standard fare to me.
That doesn't mean anything bad, and those two chapters peaked my interest.
So in this world there are two kind of people. Humans and Kainens. Kainens have magic, they are able to command people and animals just by saying a command. Humans are magic free, but they have developed muskets which the Kainens dont consider much of a threat considering they have magic an all. Kainens have a great distaste for humans considering them little better than animals. They also have an aversion to blood and death, and think of soldier cast as dirty and filthy. If they were to take a sword or anything with blood on it they consider them selves to be unclean by that. Humans and Kainens are at war.
The story follows a royal prince, a twin of a princess who's almost 16 and still hasn't developed his magic powers of verbal command. However he seems to be developing some kind of powers mainly dream premonitions and visions of people's lives when he touches an object they owned. He's quite scared and frustrated that he's not developing in the right kind of way and he fears that his father, the king will name his twin sister an heir to the kingdom on their 16th birthday because she has developed verbal command magic. Not only that but he fears he'll become a "changeling" and be buried alive under the castle as was done with changelings before. (I'm not sure what exactly a changeling is, 2 chapters weren't enough and I don't think it means the same thing as in fairy lore). Determined to show his worth, and suspecting his uncle is scheming, he resolves to go on a little side trip to a town controlled by his uncle which has silver mines, ignoring the commands of the king. However this area is a war zone, but the prince has different information relaying of the info of human ambassador, who he believes is completely under king's thrall and can't tell lies. But things turn out differently when they walk into an ambush and the prince gets everyone killed due to his stubbornness and stupidity. He is forced to pick up a sword of his fallen protector and defend himself. He kills a man, and considers himself unclean and changed.

I have to say I quite liked it, I'll move this up my TBR list.

comment on the writing style.
As I said nothing special imo. She concentrated too much on descriptions of drapery and furniture in the first chapter imo (I personally have a great dislike for those) but in second chapter the writing style is much more relaxed with more action scenes and is much more fluid.
Thank you for unintentinally recommending Magix Ex Libris by having the third book of your forthcoming fantasy books. Again, reading the first book, and it's as entertaining as it gets!
You're welcome. I'm not sure who exactly mentioned the third book as a forthcoming but the credit goes to them.

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I'm happy for you friend. Hope that the book is just as promising the entire time.

You're welcome. I'm not sure who exactly mentioned the third book as a forthcoming but the credit goes to them.
You did, right here.

http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/...ntasy-and-science-fiction-books-in-2015.1907/

JANUARY
Golden Son (Red Rising Trilogy, #2) by Pierce Brown
The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2) by Brian Staveley
Firefight (Reckoners, #2) by Brandon Sanderson
Gemini Cell (Shadow Ops 0.5) by Myke Cole
Unbound (Magic Ex Libris #3) by Jim C. Hines
The Whispering Swarm (Sanctuary of the White Friars #1) by Michael Moorcock
The Just City (Thessaly #1) by Jo Walton

MorteTorment

I'm happy for you friend. Hope that the book is just as promising the entire time.

You did, right here.

http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/...ntasy-and-science-fiction-books-in-2015.1907/

JANUARY
Golden Son (Red Rising Trilogy, #2) by Pierce Brown
The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2) by Brian Staveley
Firefight (Reckoners, #2) by Brandon Sanderson
Gemini Cell (Shadow Ops 0.5) by Myke Cole
Unbound (Magic Ex Libris #3) by Jim C. Hines
The Whispering Swarm (Sanctuary of the White Friars #1) by Michael Moorcock
The Just City (Thessaly #1) by Jo Walton

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Well I picked up and read The Dinosaur Lords by Victor Milan and it was....underwhelming.

Dinosaurs in fantasy sounds really good and it would be in this book...if I didn't get completely confused by which dinosaur was what along with their myriad names,nicknames,actual names and scientific names. Thankfully wikipedia was invented for such situations, but it really makes for tough reading. Add to this a cast of characters with decidedly Italian and Spanish inspired names and even more titles and flowery descriptions and you have a truly forgettable cast.

The plot is OKish. There are some good battles but thats more or less it. Most of the POVs are meh, and some of the characters seem to have been thrown in for pure spite towards women in general. The author tries to be gritty but it seems a bit forced.And the ending is very very abrupt and brings no closure whatsoever.

The art though is quite fantastic.

There is promise in this idea of Dinosaur Knights...if only the same could be said about the execution in this book.

Sorry @TomTB :p

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I picked up and read The Dinosaur Lords by Victor Milan and it was....underwhelming.

Dinosaurs in fantasy sounds really good and it would be in this book...if I didn't get completely confused by which dinosaur was what along with their myriad names,nicknames,actual names and scientific names. Thankfully wikipedia was invented for such situations, but it really makes for tough reading. Add to this a cast of characters with decidedly Italian and Spanish inspired names and even more titles and flowery descriptions and you have a truly forgettable cast.

The plot is OKish. There are some good battles but thats more or less it. Most of the POVs are meh, and some of the characters seem to have been thrown in for pure spite towards women in general. The author tries to be gritty but it seems a bit forced.And the ending is very very abrupt and brings no closure whatsoever.

The art though is quite fantastic.

There is promise in this idea of Dinosaur Knights...if only the same could be said about the execution in this book.

Sorry @TomTB :p
Sorry Haven, I skipped a lot of what you wrote as I don't want to spoil things for myself :)

I actually managed to read the first 3 pages last night before falling to sleep. I shall persevere this evening, and aim to stay awake longer that 6 minutes!

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
Just finished Fool Moon - Dresden #2. I really like these books. I had heard that the series really picks up after the first three books. If that's the case, the rest of the series must be fantastic. These books a very enjoyable, quick and easy reads.

I started on Chronicles of the Black Company now.

samalam_91

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I'm about 80% into The Hero of Ages and I really don't want it to end! :( I haven't been this engrossed in a story for a long time. I have put Storm Front down for a minute as I have decided that I'm not very good at juggling two books at once haha :D

MorteTorment

Ok now you made me look it up. I think you seem to be a bit confused. I keep and manage the main list in the first page, but I'm not the only one that contributes to that list. It was actually Laurentius that found that upcoming title
http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/...-fiction-books-in-2015.1907/page-2#post-31861
Oh yeah, forgot that you let other people add to it.

Anyways, just finished the first book a couple hours ago. It was pretty damn good. I'm kinda burnt on reading for now so I'm gonna focus on my other 2 hobbies. Hopefullly I'll desire to come back for more in a couple weeks. Till then!

Sorry Haven, I skipped a lot of what you wrote as I don't want to spoil things for myself :)

I actually managed to read the first 3 pages last night before falling to sleep. I shall persevere this evening, and aim to stay awake longer that 6 minutes!
This just in! Dinosaur Lords biggest fan falls asleep after reading just 3 pages. Will he admit that it's boring in the morning? :p

Just finished Fool Moon - Dresden #2. I really like these books. I had heard that the series really picks up after the first three books. If that's the case, the rest of the series must be fantastic. These books a very enjoyable, quick and easy reads.

Oh cool, I plan to read the Black Company series too.

Last edited by a moderator:

sopranosfan

It does. I'm on White Night and the world Butcher created is huge.

BenTheBat

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Mistborn #3 - the Hero of Ages
I've only read 65 pages, but it started of great with immediately An awesome battle scene.

As I'm moving over the weekend I probably won't have much time to read. I'll continue the book on Monday
Also finishing the Mistborn trilogy.
I am about 170 pages in and I am really enjoying it.
I will be sad by the end finishing a series is always sad...

MorteTorment

Please give Tom a chance.

I am sure that he will soon be able to confirm the awesomeness of this book ! :D
Oh, I'm sure that when his review comes out, it'll be written under extreme denial...I mean prejudice :p

moonspawn

Nice! Midnight Tides is an amazing book. I think it's the first really great Malazan book.
Midnight Tides is a really, really great book but I think your comment sounds somewhat like a slight to earlier books in the series.

Sir Arthur

Midnight Tides is a really, really great book but I think your comment sounds somewhat like a slight to earlier books in the series.
I guess you could interpret it that way. I personally enjoyed the entire series, but I do feel it went from really good to great starting with Midnight Tides.

MorteTorment

I guess you could interpret it that way. I personally enjoyed the entire series, but I do feel it went from really good to great starting with Midnight Tides.
Ah the Mazalan series. So many people here consider it the best series out here. But sadly GRRM isn't my cup of tea.

Oh, and I apologize if this breaks the rules, but this is the only topic that has had more than a few posts today. Can you guys please visit this one as well. Looking for a recommendation.

http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/threads/i-like-this-so-recommend-me.94/page-54

wakarimasen

...any day now I WILL finish Skull Throne. Any day I'm telling you. Oh yeah. It's right round the corner...

On audible I've punched though Prince of Thorns and into King of Thorns. Finding the former slightly better in focus but both are fantastic books.