August 2015 - What fantasy books were we reading?

Annomander Matt

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
I'm about a third of the way through The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson and so far I am loving it. I have also started Storm Front by Jim Butcher, I have only read about 50 pages but I can already tell I'm really going to enjoy it.
Is that a part of the Codex Alera series? I ordered a bunch of books from some site and needed to get to the free shipping minimum, so I randomly got the 6th book in that series for $2 lol

If anyone has any insight into that series let me know ;-)

As for August, I just finished the Padder Mage Trilogy and the first two associated Novellas. I'm going to finish the remaining 5 novellas that I purchased from his website while I also tackle another flintlock fantasy series, Wexler's Shape Campaigns. If it is anywhere near as good as Powder Mage I'm going to be very pleased.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

samalam_91

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Is that a part of the Codex Alera series? I ordered a bunch of books from some site and needed to get to the free shipping minimum, so I randomly got the 6th book in that series for $2 lol
Nope, its the first book in his Dresden Files series. I heard his Codex Alera series is more traditional fantasy whereas the Dresden Files is urban fantasy :)

Annomander Matt

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
Nope, its the first book in his Dresden Files series. I heard his Codex Alera series is more traditional fantasy whereas the Dresden Files is urban fantasy :)
Ahh, gotcha. It would be way down my TBR list anyway. Thanks for the reply!

I should probably do a forum search about it lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
@Sir Arthur @moonspawn
I'm hoping you guys are right about this being better than the prior four. From what I understand, Midnight Tides is set far in the past and focuses on Trull Sengar, who had a minor part in House of Chains. Unfortunately, his parts in house of chains were mind numbingly boring to me. I very much hope that the rest of his story is better.

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
I'm finished Queen of Fire yesterday while staying in observation at the local hospital, I'll post my thoughts in the appropriate thread, but it was an improvement from the Tower Lord.
I also finally read some more Steles of the Sky. At 60% most of the characters are finally getting somewhere. I found the first half of the book a bit of a drag - which is why I mostly read other books instead of this one.

Khartun

@Sir Arthur @moonspawn
I'm hoping you guys are right about this being better than the prior four. From what I understand, Midnight Tides is set far in the past and focuses on Trull Sengar, who had a minor part in House of Chains. Unfortunately, his parts in house of chains were mind numbingly boring to me. I very much hope that the rest of his story is better.
It definitely get better. One of the best storylines in the whole series.

Khartun

I'm finished Queen of Fire yesterday while staying in observation at the local hospital, I'll post my thoughts in the appropriate thread, but it was an improvement from the Tower Lord.
I also finally read some more Steles of the Sky. At 60% most of the characters are finally getting somewhere. I found the first half of the book a bit of a drag - which is why I mostly read other books instead of this one.
Hope all is well with you @Griffin!

Griffin

Hope all is well with you @Griffin!
All is well, I passed out due to a pain impulse (nothing special, I'm a bit hypersensitive) but hit my head pretty hard while passing out (CT-scan proved that, but such a minor trauma should dissolve pretty quickly). It's procedure to stay in observation for 24h after such an event. Nothing serious and mostly pretty annoying as I was feeling perfectly fine a couple of hours afterwards.

Last edited:

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Sorry Haven, I skipped a lot of what you wrote as I don't want to spoil things for myself
For shame Tom, did you really think I would write spoilerific reviews on this thread ?

You have no faith! Everything I wrote is suitably vague...I think.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
All is well, I passed out due to a pain impulse (nothing special, I'm a bit hypersensitive) but hit my head pretty hard while passing out (CT-scan proved that, but that such minor trauma should dissolve pretty quickly on CT-scans). It's procedure to stay in observation for 24h after such an event. Nothing serious and mostly pretty annoying as I was feeling perfectly fine.
Wow dude, get well soon. Sucks to be in the hospital, especially with this great weather.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
From Nightwise by R.S. Belcher:

"Evil is out there, right now, today, maybe watching your kids play too intently at the next table in that restaurant with the overpriced pizza and the giant rat for a mascot. Fun fact: Did you know that restaurant was founded and dedicated as a temple and feast hall to Karni Mata, the bride to the rat god, Mushika. It's true. Those little gold tokens your A-B honor roll students are clamoring for are sacrificial blood coins feeding the god of plagues and vermin, and trust me, you don't even want to know why they got rid of the ball pits."

Not true of course, but I think I am going to like this book...

mizztara71

I'm reading Glagnodian's Vengeance by Aaron Miller. I'm struggling just to keep reading and I have over half of the book left.

ReguIa

I got 30 pages into Uprooted and then I just didn't feel like continuing. I have the hardest time getting into books but once I do I'm completely hooked. I mean I read The Way of Kings in around 10 days. Then during my vacation I averaged about 200 pages a day in Words of Radiance. Now it's been over a month since I finished it and I haven't been able to find something I want to continue....

On a different topic I just changed my rating on Elantris to 5 stars on goodreads. It's a curious thing, when I finished it I liked it but I didn't really love it. It's funny how your opinion can change over time though.
The reason for it is only because of Hrathen. So far he could be my favorite character Sanderson has written. There is just something about his story that really got to me.

Last edited:

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I like summertime. Many slow days at work. Finished Nightwise...

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

samalam_91

I just finished the final Mistborn book. As much as I enjoyed it, I did prefer the first two more. Sanderson did a great job with wrapping up the trilogy though :D Overall this series is one of the best I have ever read and I cant wait to read more of Sanderson's work!

Now its time to go back to the first Dresden Files book :) from what I have read so far it looks like its going to be awesome.