August - What fantasy book are you reading?

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Happy August, everyone. What are you working on this month?

I'm listening to The Black Prism by Brent Weeks and reading The Grim Company by Luke Scull, a new book I'll be reviewing once I finish it.

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
I finished off Cooper's Songs of the Earth. There's bits of it which are good but also quite a lot which are ....... less good. In certainly suffered having just read Blood Song beforehand. Now onto GGK's The Summer Tree, book 1 of The Fionavar Tapestry.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Now onto GGK's The Summer Tree, book 1 of The Fionavar Tapestry.
Good luck with it .. it's one of the only books I couldn't bring myself round to finishing!
Just goes to show how different people's tastes can be. The Summer Tree is about people from *this* world going to a fantasy world. Antoxx, you didn't like the Thomas Covenant series, which -- broadly described -- features the same concept. But TomTheBeliever, you did like the Thomas Covenant books, I seem to recall, and here say you didn't like the Fionavar Tapestry.

Guess there's a lot more to it than just the concept of "real" people going to a fantasy world, though. I basically liked both, and I didn't have a hard time finishing books from either, though I'm not so big into the Arthurian stuff, which figures heavily in later volumes of the Fionavar Tapestry. I like GGK's alternate version of Europe much better than the Fionavar books.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hhmm, yes .. but the main difference being that the characters were really really strong in TC, and shockingly poor (in my opinion) in Fionavar. It definitely wasn't the concept of TC that primarily spurred me on - it was the characters and the world (VERY Tolkien-esque) which I loved. Nothing "grabbed me" in Summer Tree, so much so that I gave up after about 100 pages, something I rarely do.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Still reading the City. School has started again so reading has crawled to a snail's pace. However, also listening to Mistborn (I've read it before) when I go to the gym. Really liking it. I think this will be the way I "-re-read" books from now on.

Antoxx

Hhmm, yes .. but the main difference being that the characters were really really strong in TC, and shockingly poor (in my opinion) in Fionavar. It definitely wasn't the concept of TC that primarily spurred me on - it was the characters and the world (VERY Tolkien-esque) which I loved. Nothing "grabbed me" in Summer Tree, so much so that I gave up after about 100 pages, something I rarely do.
Yeah, about 90 pages in and it's not grabbing me either. Definitely will keep going though.

Obscenic

Told lies with Locke
I was at the library and saw that The Name of the Wind was on the shelf. It's always been checked out before, so I figured...why not? Opportunity is knocking.

50 pages in and I really like it. It's unraveling at a nice, steady pace and most of the characters are very interesting.

Hand of Fear

I was at the library and saw that The Name of the Wind was on the shelf. It's always been checked out before, so I figured...why not? Opportunity is knocking.

50 pages in and I really like it. It's unraveling at a nice, steady pace and most of the characters are very interesting.
The Name of the Wind is one of the best well written books I have ever read, so glad I've had the pleasure of reading it.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just reached the halfway point in Grave Peril (my 'commuting book') ... I like it (don't think I'll ever 'love' the Dresden books); it's definitely the best one so far!

Sandman

Has been in the eye of the world
I've started the Emperor of Thorns as well.

And earlier I said Mark Sullivan but I meant Michael Sullivan and his new book The Crown Tower.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I finished The Black Prism and started The Blinding Knife.

The Grim Company, by the way, is an almost unashamed knockoff of Joe Abercrombie. If you are into Joe Abercrombie and want to read more of the same, this is the book for you.

Hand of Fear

I finished The Black Prism and started The Blinding Knife.
Hi l3gacy, are they any good and worth reading ? I have read The Night Angel Trilogy and enjoyed them.

Be good to read your views on The Black Prism, been looking at buying it on/off for awhile but I downloaded a sample to my Kindle App on my mobile and it seemed bit hard to follow.