August - What fantasy book are you reading?

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Black Prism was good. I really didn't like the audio book though; it was Graphic Audio, and they put music and sound effects in it, and have a different voice actor for every character. I didn't think I would mind, but at times the sound mixing got out of whack and the sound or explosions or whatnot got way too loud and I couldn't hear the narrator. That was pretty annoying. The magic system is interesting and unique, and either I am getting more clever or writers are getting less crafty but I saw the big "twist" of the book way before it actually happened.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
A little over half way through Dust of Dreams. Definitely better than Toll the Hounds thus far, but not quite up to the same quality as the best Malazan books. Also started reading I Am Not a Serial killer. So far so good.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I feel bad for you
So I'm really annoyed at Blinding Knife. In The Black Prism, they called the head bad guy Lord Omnichrome, and in the second book everyone is calling him The Color Prince. I don't think "The Color Prince" was used ONCE in the first book, and Lord Omnichrome hasn't been used a single time in the second book. What the crap is going on?

And you are gonna have to expound on that Danica... another big "twist" coming up other than the
Gavin and Dazen switcheroo, which is what I saw coming before it happened in the book
?

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
So I'm really annoyed at Blinding Knife. In The Black Prism, they called the head bad guy Lord Omnichrome, and in the second book everyone is calling him The Color Prince. I don't think "The Color Prince" was used ONCE in the first book, and Lord Omnichrome hasn't been used a single time in the second book. What the crap is going on?

And you are gonna have to expound on that Danica... another big "twist" coming up other than the
Gavin and Dazen switcheroo, which is what I saw coming before it happened in the book
?
Nah not going to expound, just feel bad you had to see the twist coming, I think it comes from being so well read, you start to see so many possibilities.

As for the above ^^ i cant even remember that happening. But i can see how that would be annoying! Maybe its a by product of back to back reading, you're noticing it more. But you notice everything so maybe write Weeks a strongly worded letter to make sure the next one only uses The Colour Prince

TCSimpson

Might as well be a Malazan regular

?
I think what he trie to do was that people knew him as or called him Lord Omnichrome BEFORE he actually revealed himself. Once he got known by the world, they adopted his name or the new name of Color PRince.

Obscenic

Told lies with Locke
Almost finished with The Name of the Wind. As for reading the next one in the series, I'll probably do it, although I've rolled my eyes more than once at the poetic romance. The love aspect in this book is reminiscent of a love story straight out of a 19th century literary work. Spare me, Rothfuss. Spare me!

Great book otherwise, though.

Hand of Fear

Almost finished with The Name of the Wind. As for reading the next one in the series, I'll probably do it, although I've rolled my eyes more than once at the poetic romance. The love aspect in this book is reminiscent of a love story straight out of a 19th century literary work. Spare me, Rothfuss. Spare me!

I agree about the love story and I'm really not keen on Denna, the second book is well worth a read so don't let that put you off.

fbones24

I actually stopped reading NOTW because of this and never went back to it. I loved the book at first and then got completely turned off. I felt like I was reading two different authors at some points. I'll probably revisit it as it is so well reviewed. We shall see.....

On those lines, I'm currently reading "Ship of Destiny," book 3 of the Liveship Traders Trilogy. I almost put the first book down, but around 50% the story sucked me in and now I am completely in love with this trilogy. I didn't think it was possible, but I may just like Liveship Traders better than Farseer. Where Farseer sucked me right in, Liveship and its characters required some investment on my part and I think that is what did it. Quite a unique story.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I agree about the love story and I'm really not keen on Denna, the second book is well worth a read so don't let that put you off.
I just flat-out hated Denna. I sort of want to know how she and Kvothe parted ways, though. (No spoiler tags because she isn't with innkeeper Kote now, is she? So we know that up front.)

Hand of Fear

I just flat-out hated Denna. I sort of want to know how she and Kvothe parted ways, though. (No spoiler tags because she isn't with innkeeper Kote now, is she? So we know that up front.)
I was going to say that I'd wish she'd disappear for good, then thought that my have been to harsh.

Obscenic

Told lies with Locke
I'm on the same page. I see no point to Denna, other than to somehow further Kvothe's story, and it's my least favorite part of the story at that. She doesn't seem to have any purpose or ambition. She's just some weird, drifting, off-the-wall honeytrap that Kvothe is hopelessly infatuated with.

I'm really intrigued by Elodin, though, and I hope he becomes more prominent.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
it's my least favorite part of the story at that. She doesn't seem to have any purpose or ambition. She's just some weird, drifting, off-the-wall honeytrap that Kvothe is hopelessly infatuated with
That plot line got so old so quick!! what is redeeming about her? I especially disliked her turning up in the 2nd book and being all annoying.

like Liveship Traders better than Farseer. Where Farseer sucked me right in, Liveship and its characters required some investment on my part and I think that is what did it. Quite a unique story.
HAHAH 'investment' I bet I know what characters you are talking about! Although, to be fair Farseer has a particularly despicable character i disliked too, but i think Hobb's writing got much better and the characters seem to be created so faithfully. This is true of her latest trilogy (the dragon one) also I find.

In other news! just purchased the book for the book club! The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. this book club starts a lil late this month (on the 16th) so there is still time to become involved (read: get involved!). We would love to see you over there :)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
In other news! just purchased the book for the book club! The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. this book club starts a lil late this month (on the 16th) so there is still time to become involved (read: get involved!).
I'm in! Had that one planned for later this year, might as well start it sooner :playful:

Antoxx

Just finished book 2 of Fionavar Tapestry. I found book 2 a much better experience than book 1. It is very clever the way in which Arthur et al are woven into the story. It's never going to be amongst my most liked stories but I can very much appreciate it for the quality of writing and how GGK has added the Arthurian piece in. Onto book 2 of Lyonnese tonight.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just finished reading Midnight Tides. Without a shadow of a doubt my favourite book in the Malazan series so far. I'm not too sure if this is because this is the book in which I finally "get" the Malazan world. Everything just sort of fell into place, I've got a better understanding of the nature of the Gods, the races, the Warrens, the history and everything else. The story was fantastic too, it never lulled, in finished fanatically, and it had some of the best characters in the series so far. Tehol Beddict and Bugg have to be the best twosome to appear in the first 5 books. The humour levels (mainly down to these two) were higher than in the preceding books .. Shurq and Ublala also had some laugh out loud scenes.

Will be moving straight onto The Bonehunters.

fbones24

That plot line got so old so quick!! what is redeeming about her? I especially disliked her turning up in the 2nd book and being all annoying.

HAHAH 'investment' I bet I know what characters you are talking about! Although, to be fair Farseer has a particularly despicable character i disliked too, but i think Hobb's writing got much better and the characters seem to be created so faithfully. This is true of her latest trilogy (the dragon one) also I find.

In other news! just purchased the book for the book club! The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. this book club starts a lil late this month (on the 16th) so there is still time to become involved (read: get involved!). We would love to see you over there :)
All of the characters in Liveship are so complex and that includes the ships and the serpents. :) I started to have a slight problem with the development of one character towards the end of Mad Ship, but I can see that Hobb writes with a purpose and this one is just an "extreme" personality.

Tyrol Aspenleaf

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Finished Best Served Cold, and was my favorite of the Abercrombie books so far. Hrm what next? i have several here sitting unread, Red Seas Under Red Skies, The Black Prism, The Way of Kings, or go out and buy The Tyrant's Law and finish that trilogy. Choices choices!