August - What fantasy book are you reading?

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
In the middle of chapter 19 of Dust of Dreams. I can't help, but be a little disappointed by it. The tribal wars are obfuscating me. Started Children of the Mind yesterday.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Sorry I've been absent for a bit, had a class eat up the majority of my time. Done with the heavy lifting for the course now though, so I should be able to stick my head in here a bit more.

In the middle of chapter 19 of Dust of Dreams. I can't help, but be a little disappointed by it. The tribal wars are obfuscating me. Started Children of the Mind yesterday.
The thing about Dust of Dreams that you have to remember is that it isn't the typical Malazan novel, it's part 1 of the finale so it's a slower novel to get rolling with the true finale waiting for you at the end of the Crippled God. Keep pushing though, that tribal war is going BIG places.

I managed to blast through the Crown Tower and Emperor of Thorns in the last couple of days, good thing they're both relatively short compared to what I normally undertake.

The Crown Tower was a great addition to the Riyria series, nice prologue and a really fun start to a new, well old, chapter in the series. If Sullivan is ambitious as he claims to be this is the first of a ton of new content. If you liked where Royce and Hadrian went during revelations you'll enjoy seeing how it all got started in Chronicles.

Emperor of Thorns was actually fairly unexpected. It was easily the best of the Broken Empire novels, not even close, in my opinion at least. It felt allot more polished than the previous books, it had enough of the past familiar characters popping up mixed with new elements to keep it fresh, some really well written dialogue (some of the turns of phrase Lawrence breaks out in this one will make their way into my everyday conversational dialogue), and it wrapped up about how I suspected it would, but not on the note that I anticipated, which did surprise me more than I thought it would.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I was sad today (read: pissed off with uni work) so I sat down and started and finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Didn't want to read Jon Snow's review till i finished as i wanted to read the book without bias. Jon's view is valid and i agree with everything he said although I think I like it more then he did. i had to stop myself from crying the last two chapters.

In summary!! It reads like a short story, very little backstory, first person, very much gaiman's style of writing ... and very good i think!

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I was sad today (read: pissed off with uni work) so I sat down and started and finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Didn't want to read Jon Snow's review till i finished as i wanted to read the book without bias. Jon's view is valid and i agree with everything he said although I think I like it more then he did. i had to stop myself from crying the last two chapters.

In summary!! It reads like a short story, very little backstory, first person, very much gaiman's style of writing ... and very good i think!

You agree with me? haha..Choice!

moonspawn

Sorry I've been absent for a bit, had a class eat up the majority of my time. Done with the heavy lifting for the course now though, so I should be able to stick my head in here a bit more.

The thing about Dust of Dreams that you have to remember is that it isn't the typical Malazan novel, it's part 1 of the finale so it's a slower novel to get rolling with the true finale waiting for you at the end of the Crippled God. Keep pushing though, that tribal war is going BIG places.

I managed to blast through the Crown Tower and Emperor of Thorns in the last couple of days, good thing they're both relatively short compared to what I normally undertake.

The Crown Tower was a great addition to the Riyria series, nice prologue and a really fun start to a new, well old, chapter in the series. If Sullivan is ambitious as he claims to be this is the first of a ton of new content. If you liked where Royce and Hadrian went during revelations you'll enjoy seeing how it all got started in Chronicles.

Emperor of Thorns was actually fairly unexpected. It was easily the best of the Broken Empire novels, not even close, in my opinion at least. It felt allot more polished than the previous books, it had enough of the past familiar characters popping up mixed with new elements to keep it fresh, some really well written dialogue (some of the turns of phrase Lawrence breaks out in this one will make their way into my everyday conversational dialogue), and it wrapped up about how I suspected it would, but not on the note that I anticipated, which did surprise me more than I thought it would.
Steven Erikson said both books were one story, not following his typical formula. I guess the issue is that I'm not really feeling emotionally involved with any of the new characters. The Malazan's don't seem to be doing much yet, but I still look forward to their chapters.

I didn't like King of Thorns so decided I wasn't going to read Emperor of Thorns. This post is making me rethink if Emperor is that much better.

Obscenic

Told lies with Locke
Just finished The Name of the Wind and am starting The Baker's Boy today.

Frizzo0133

Steven Erikson said both books were one story, not following his typical formula. I guess the issue is that I'm not really feeling emotionally involved with any of the new characters. The Malazan's don't seem to be doing much yet, but I still look forward to their chapters.

I didn't like King of Thorns so decided I wasn't going to read Emperor of Thorns. This post is making me rethink if Emperor is that much better.
DoD and TCG are the epitome of Erickson writing for the long pay off, nothing new for him, I recall a joke that didn't see a punch line for 400 pages, and then it was completely out of nowhere. DoD and TCG take a long time to get to where you expect them to be pace wise for a Malazan story, but once they do it's a sprint as per usual.

Hmmm, if you don't like the Broken Empire novels Emperor isn't going to change your mind about the series, it's a better book than the others, but it's still Jorg and his antics. I enjoy them, I didn't at first, but I've come around on them, it's kind of like Gritty fantasy on crack, quick, hard, and it leaves you feeling a little dirty inside.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not really feeling emotionally involved with any of the new characters
I've found in general there's only a small proportion of characters in any case that I'm getting emotionally involved with. Even some of the main characters like Cutter and Fiddler (I'm on Bonehunters atm) I'm a bit 'meh' with.

Antoxx

I've found in general there's only a small proportion of characters in any case that I'm getting emotionally involved with. Even some of the main characters like Cutter and Fiddler (I'm on Bonehunters atm) I'm a bit 'meh' with.
With a massive cast it's hard to connect with all the characters. Also, some of them definitely grow on you with time. Fiddler for me, was defintely pne of them.

GreyMouser

I finished Prince of Thorns and am pretty far along in King of Thorns. Good stuff so far!

GreyMouser

Last time I checked in I was slogging through Heroes which I never finished. Maybe I needed a break from Abercrombie, or maybe it would have picked up, but my giant puppy made it an easy choice by eating the book.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Thanks to my nasty cold which left me bedridden for half the week I was able to get a lotta reading done :D

-Entire Broken Empire Series by Mark Lawrence, First two books are really good, Its nice to read about a protagonist(NOT) who doesnt give a damn about rules,honor,murder,smooth-talk or any of the typical burdens one lays upon the general hero in books. Interesting twist to history, as he somehow managed to put post-apoc themes into a fantasy book, and did so brilliantly.However the last books was kinda meh...the ending was kinda lame, not unexpected, but still I feel I would have like a better ending.

-The Black Guard by A.J Smith..mixed thoughts about this one, Its not the most polished of books,since he's a bit too free with use of verbs,the naming system is kinda stupid and the characters are sometimes bit too wooden, but on the whole not bad, not a must read book, but one you should read if you have the time and are mostly waiting for the next in a neverending series of books to come out *cough* Rothfuss *cough*.Also the author put in a Cthulhu reference in so that wins him major points from me :p

Just got Blood of Tyrants(Book 8 of Temeraire), summary is kinda off-putting, I've never been much of a fan of memory loss, its kinda frustrating to see the guy wandering about aimlessly..lets see how it goes.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished Grave Peril. Another good Dresden book. They're getting progressively better, this one was better than the last one, which was better than the one before that. I guess in my mind I kind of compare them to a lot of Hollywood blockbusters ... they're just a sort of mindless entertainment that you don't really have to concentrate too hard on, but are enjoyable nonetheless. I'll move onto Summer Knight now, which I'll get going with on the train tomorrow morning .. if it turns up ... bloody British Rail !!!!

Frizzo0133

The Bonehunters is an interesting case when it comes to the Malazan novels. There is a MASSIVE happening, half way through the book that changes just about everything from there on out. The Bonehunters is widely regarded as one of the best books in the series, for very good reasons, those new characters might not be clicking for you just yet, but I've got a feeling you're going to warm up to them here shortly and look forward to your time with them, you had better anyway, the Bonehunters will be getting ALLOT of screen time from here on out in the MBotF series.

moonspawn

Hmmm, if you don't like the Broken Empire novels Emperor isn't going to change your mind about the series, it's a better book than the others, but it's still Jorg and his antics. I enjoy them, I didn't at first, but I've come around on them, it's kind of like Gritty fantasy on crack, quick, hard, and it leaves you feeling a little dirty inside.
I actually liked Jorg. It's the writing style I can't stand. You did say Emperor was more polished. The lack of polish is what really bothered me about Prince and King.

:eek: Cuttler and Fiddler are two of the most awesome characters in the series. I agree that the majority of characters in the Malazan series are pretty meh.

The Bonehunters is an interesting case when it comes to the Malazan novels. There is a MASSIVE happening, half way through the book that changes just about everything from there on out. The Bonehunters is widely regarded as one of the best books in the series, for very good reasons, those new characters might not be clicking for you just yet, but I've got a feeling you're going to warm up to them here shortly and look forward to your time with them, you had better anyway, the Bonehunters will be getting ALLOT of screen time from here on out in the MBotF series.
I have trouble deciding between Bonehunters and Midnight Tides. That massive happening is also my favorite part of any Malazan novel.

moonspawn

Started reading One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms today for book club. So far it's great! The epic climax at the end of Dust of Dreams was well worth the wait.

Antoxx

Started reading One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms today for book club. So far it's great! The epic climax at the end of Dust of Dreams was well worth the wait.
Looking forward to your participation, I'm feeling lonely in the club at the moment.

Cobra87

Possibly a Darkfriend
I am big Tolkien fan and I'm reading Tug Mugwart & the Book of Power by Emil Donatello. I too downloaded it to my Kindle. I find it an easy and enjoyable read. Good story and Donatello creates a real good "picture". Great use of imagery.

I was fortunate to download the free sample at Amazon and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if they still have it available but it's worth a read, especially if you're a Tolkien fan. I'm curious to see what others think. Also, I've looked for other publications by Donatello but haven't found anything just yet. Does anyone have an information about the author?

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Recently finished A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan, whose cover I randomly stumbled upon somewhere(Curse my memory -_-). Good debut book, Solid world, Kinda Rothfuss-esque magic system, nice slow buildup to the climax and a few morally ambiguous characters thrown in for good measure. The story is satisfying, and there's plenty left for future novels.

Cons would be that the main character is just too damn naive, there were moments when I wished I could reach in through the pages and strangle him into sense..but if that was the author's idea then he did it brilliantly.Also as usual the protagonist again has magic/strength/ancient-lost-artifacts-of-mysterious-power et al. Though I will say that its not ALL drawn out of thin air, the prologue does give some basis for our character's power, so its probably just me.

Now finally reading Blood of Tyrants, and as expected the first few chapters are a bit annoying...lets hope it improves.