August - What fantasy book are you reading?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I am big Tolkien fan and I'm reading Tug Mugwart & the Book of Power by Emil Donatello. I too downloaded it to my Kindle. I find it an easy and enjoyable read. Good story and Donatello creates a real good "picture". Great use of imagery.

I was fortunate to download the free sample at Amazon and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if they still have it available but it's worth a read, especially if you're a Tolkien fan. I'm curious to see what others think. Also, I've looked for other publications by Donatello but haven't found anything just yet. Does anyone have an information about the author?
A new poster who just happened to find a great book by a self-published author on Amazon? Haven't seen any of those around here since yesterday. (My apologies if you're legit, but the odds aren't good.)

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I am big Tolkien fan and I'm reading Tug Mugwart & the Book of Power by Emil Donatello.
Dafuqo_O? I tug my mugwart when I'm home alone sometimes. Good to hear Donatello is working again after defeating Shredder. I guess wifi reaches down to the sewer now.

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
Hi all!
After a few weeks of stress at work with major delivery loads and some time off the internet for detox during my vacations I'm back.

Currently I'm up to Ghost Story in the Dresden Files.

Cobra87

Possibly a Darkfriend
Hello all.....while I am sure there are plenty of self promoters on this forum board, let me state that I am not mr donatello or claim to even know who he is for that matter. I just happened to get a free copy of the book and enjoyed it, nothing more. When I asked about the author to a good friend of mine (someone that I consider an all-things fantasy guru) if he knew of him, he said he never had heard of him. He was the one that suggested this and a few other community boards. That's it. That's why I posted on here to see if anyone knew who he was. If it came across any differently I truly apologize.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Hello all.....while I am sure there are plenty of self promoters on this forum board, let me state that I am not mr donatello or claim to even know who he is for that matter. I just happened to get a free copy of the book and enjoyed it, nothing more. When I asked about the author to a good friend of mine (someone that I consider an all-things fantasy guru) if he knew of him, he said he never had heard of him. He was the one that suggested this and a few other community boards. That's it. That's why I posted on here to see if anyone knew who he was. If it came across any differently I truly apologize.
Well, like I said, apologies if you're legit.

In case you were wondering about the response, we have seen a lot of not-so-well-disguised self-promotion on these boards lately. Most people who post don't come back (or else they incessantly come back to the same thread and don't participate elsewhere).

At any rate, there are literally hundreds of thousands of books self-published every year now. They struggle to get attention. So it is not particularly surprising that no one in this group hasn't heard of Mr. Donatello. Have you tried Google? I was able to find a picture of him (and an obituary for someone who may be a relative of the same name), as well as a brief bio.

Also, if you want to avoid raising suspicions, you might not want to write identical posts in several different places (using the same username, nonetheless). From sffworld:

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/show...-the-Book-of-Power-by-Emil-Donatello&p=722941

"Hello everyone. I recently began reading Tug Mugwart and the Book of Power by Emil Donatello and have to say I truly enjoy it. Very enjoyable characters and a great use of imagery. If you're into "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings", I think you'll enjoy it as well. I'm just curious to know what others think.

I am also interested in finding out more about any of the author's works. If you've read of his previous works, can you point me in the right direction."

Cobra87

Possibly a Darkfriend
Thanks for your response. I did Google him prior and found the same thing. One link had stated that he was a poet from NJ that's been writing over 20 years. I'm from NYC and never heard of him, that's why I was curious if anyone had heard of him or had read any of his works. I couldn't find any of his other works online. That's when I asked my friend who I assumed would have at least heard of him.

In regards to other posts, I use the same name on the other boards because I am "me". If I was trying to promote someone, don't you think I could have easily set up numerous accounts under different names and posted different messages on hundreds of boards. My friend referred me to this board, SSF World and you will see the same in Fantasy Faction. Posted all the same day, right after the other because I just clicked the links he sent me. Nothing more than that.

I belong to a few other community forums, and I respect that you are protecting the integrity of the board, I completely understand and applaud you for that.

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
Whewww! Just returned from my summer vacation and had to jump on here and check in! While away, I finished the final book of the Coldfire Trilogy. It was alright. That's about all it did for me, meaning I won't find much to remember about it in a few months. However, I did read The First Law Trilogy by Abercrombie and I am sooo happy I saved it for my vacation, as I couldn't put it down! I may have to put up a new posting discussing the reasons why it is such a refreshing and absorbing read!

Anyways, hope all's well out there and that everyone else is enjoying heaps of summer reading! Sorry to have been MIA for the last 3 weeks but glad to be back and can't wait to catch up on all the newest reads out there!

Hand of Fear

While away, I finished the final book of the Coldfire Trilogy. It was alright. That's about all it did for me, meaning I won't find much to remember about it in a few months.
Was going to ask how you found it, still haven't read the 2nd book yet will be reading Elantris next. How would you rate each book and the series overall ?

Buffy V Slayer

Was going to ask how you found it, still haven't read the 2nd book yet will be reading Elantris next. How would you rate each book and the series overall ?
I think I loved it more with each book. The characters develop slowly, which is part of why I love it. They don't all of a sudden go from being bad to being good and they don't fundamentally change who they are, but they grow realistically over the course of the novels. I'm a character driven reader so I found I loved each book more than the last. The second book was awesome and I actually found it quite funny at times. The third book is about bringing it all together, all those pieces you've been wondering about that connect the main characters to Bayaz (ie Logan, Jezal, Glokta, and Ferro, who you don't meet until book 2 I think). It's hard to rate each book separately because I read them all together and they flow so seamlessly into one another that I honestly forget where one ends and the next begins. They are all equally engaging.

I feel like I just muddled my response but I am still suffering from jet lag so I hope that made sense! lol

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am sooo happy I saved it for my vacation, as I couldn't put it down!
I was wondering where you had gotten to?

Really pleased you enjoyed First Law .. I read it on holiday (sorry, vacation) in Thailand last year .. how I wish I could be sat back next to the pool, sipping cocktails and getting engrossed in my kindle!

Buffy V Slayer

Really pleased you enjoyed First Law .. I read it on holiday (sorry, vacation) in Thailand last year .. how I wish I could be sat back next to the pool, sipping cocktails and getting engrossed in my kindle!
Yes, thanks so much for recommending it! I know you've said on other posts how the stand-alones he's written are even better in your opinion, so now I'm psyched to get started on those. I hope I don't overdose but I am really enjoying them!

Don't you love those holidays where you can just jump right into a good book and disappear for days at a time? Thailand sounds like a good place for it!

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
Yes, thanks so much for recommending it! I know you've said on other posts how the stand-alones he's written are even better in your opinion, so now I'm psyched to get started on those. I hope I don't overdose but I am really enjoying them!

Don't you love those holidays where you can just jump right into a good book and disappear for days at a time? Thailand sounds like a good place for it!
I'm a big fan of Abercrombie's, and I agree that the stand-alones are better. This when The First Law is my favorite trilogy.

Zymologist

Hi l3gacy, are they any good and worth reading ? I have read The Night Angel Trilogy and enjoyed them.

Be good to read your views on The Black Prism, been looking at buying it on/off for awhile but I downloaded a sample to my Kindle App on my mobile and it seemed bit hard to follow.
I've read both The Black Prism and The Blinding Knife, and I think that if you liked Night Angel you'll like them. I enjoyed them, though they weren't the greatest thing ever.

João Ribeiro

Finished Ghost story and breached the surface of Cold Days. Kinda of happy and sad my Dresden journey is coming to a temporary end.

Happy because I read a lot of great books and there is more to come. Sad to have to wait for Skin Games.

Bierschneeman

been gone a while, but I haven't really read that much.
finished
The Jewel in the Skull (runestaff no 1 ) Michael Moorcock
The Mad God's Amulet (runestaff no 2) Michael Moorcock
and several Beer books mostly being industry technical manuals (work is work)

just started
The Sword of Dawn (runestaff no3)

Ohh as some of you may know I am currently rediscovering my favorite Author (see above) by going back and reading everything he's ever done, by decade since most of his prolific portfolio is either unread by me, or I haven't read it since I was in high school (more so the latter) would any of you be interested in a spoiler free (or blocked) nanoblog on what I uncover/what I interpret from his works? or would I be wasting my time.

Zymologist

I really enjoyed this series but am so impatient for the next book in the series to come out. The worst part is that J.V. Jones has released absolutely no news on when this will be.
I'd never read anything by her before, and just picked this one up at a used bookstore with some credit. It's good; I'll definitely be buying and reading the rest of the series.