August - What fantasy book are you reading?

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
I'd never read anything by her before, and just picked this one up at a used bookstore with some credit. It's good; I'll definitely be buying and reading the rest of the series.
Yeah, it's a good one - it sort of has the feel of ASOIAF, although the plots are nothing alike. It is complex, though, and has a lot of characters and threads. Also, no one is safe and nothing ever turns out how you expect. Unfortunately, Jones has the same habit of taking a really long time between books. I read the series last year and was patiently waiting for the latest book to come out at the end of last year. It never happened, so I'm hoping that she's intending for it to come out at the end of this year :(

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Prince of Thorns, re-reading the first book, then two and three in the trilogy.
Lots of fun, easy to read.

I've heard alot of Deus ex Machina thrown around on the forum in connection to this series. and Can't even remember if I agreed with that or not. Where was I going with this? doesn't matter. as long as I enjoy myself, not everything needs to be analysed!

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again

I've heard alot of Deus ex Machina thrown around on the forum in connection to this series. and Can't even remember if I agreed with that or not. Where was I going with this? doesn't matter. as long as I enjoy myself, not everything needs to be analysed!
I'm with you on this one. I enjoyed Prince and King of Thorns for what it was and wasn't too concerned about it needing to be one of the greats.

moonspawn

I feel alone in the fact that I'm the only person on this forum who enjoys slinging mud at that series. Other people's love has grown my hatred.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Ah yeah, About the so-called deus ex machine, I don't think it it deserves that wording,
yeah surprising, out of the blue stuff happens that all seems to benefit Jorg, but it's not JUST there to help him out of a tight spot,
it also really helps to give depth to the world, with allusions to a past great civilisation. and adding elements to the story, like radiation and magic and such.
the slightest hint at technology, to an ai for instance, locked in a cabinet for the opening of one tiny vault door. opens up volumes of information and speculation on the road-builders.

just finished prince of thorns again,
damn but that ending is pretty abrupt, isn't it?
and though it's all very easy to read, I'd prefer it if it had a bit more meat on its bones.

on to King of Thorns.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Done with Blood Song, what a fantastic read, can't recommend it enough. Absolutely one of the best books I've read this year. When does book two come out? The correct answer to that one is not soon enough. Great characters, well thought out and plotted story and world building, some really nice twists that kept the pages turning, and an ending that just made me drool at the thought of the possibilities of where this series could take things. Anthony Ryan absolutely vaults up the list of authors I'm keeping an eye on and the Raven's Shadow #2 will be a release date purchase with no hesitation.

I'm currently rereading the Mistborn series just because it's been a long while since I've read it from start to finish uninterrupted. I don't think I realized just how much Sanderson hints and sets up events later in the books and works the Cosmere. It's amazing what a change of perspective a reread will give you, lol.

I've got Stormdancer sitting next on my To Read pile, been meaning to give it a shot for a while just to see if the incredibly mixed reviews are justified, it's been a while since I've read a book that divided it's readers as much as this one has.

moonspawn

Ah yeah, About the so-called deus ex machine, I don't think it it deserves that wording,
yeah surprising, out of the blue stuff happens that all seems to benefit Jorg, but it's not JUST there to help him out of a tight spot,
it also really helps to give depth to the world, with allusions to a past great civilisation. and adding elements to the story, like radiation and magic and such.
the slightest hint at technology, to an ai for instance, locked in a cabinet for the opening of one tiny vault door. opens up volumes of information and speculation on the road-builders.

just finished prince of thorns again,
damn but that ending is pretty abrupt, isn't it?
and though it's all very easy to read, I'd prefer it if it had a bit more meat on its bones.

on to King of Thorns.

The ending killed Prince of Thorns for me. I perceive abrupt endings like that where the reader isn't show all that happens as laziness.

I agree and disagree with you. Some of the random plot points may have been significant, but some of it was just stupid such as the example below.

Jorg eating the heart of the Necromancer.

I'm currently rereading the Mistborn series just because it's been a long while since I've read it from start to finish uninterrupted. I don't think I realized just how much Sanderson hints and sets up events later in the books and works the Cosmere. It's amazing what a change of perspective a reread will give you, lol.
This is one of the main reasons why I like Mistborn so much and why it's one of the best fantasy series of all time. I'll have to re-read it some time.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
This is one of the main reasons why I like Mistborn so much and why it's one of the best fantasy series of all time. I'll have to re-read it some time.
It really is incredibly well done, it's hard to believe how early in Sanderson's published works these are considering just how much he's pointing to books that are only surfacing in recent years and how much is still out there to learn and see of the Cosmere. Gah! I'd kill to have a few months access to Sanderson's laptop in the hopes of gleaning answers. Guess I'll just have to make due with a few more lost hours over on Coppermind for the time being, lol.

Antoxx

Finished The Green Pearl by Jack Vance. Another really enjoyable read in the Lyonnese trilogy. Well recommended. Have now started Trinity Rising by Elspeth Cooper, book 2 of The Wild Hunt. Enjoying it more than the first book alhough still does suffer from unoriginal settings. So far been exposed to American Indian races, Arabs and Viking types.

moonspawn

Still working my way slowly through The Crippled God. In addition to this I am reading Alloy of Law.

Antoxx

Finished off Cooper's Trinity Rising which I enjoyed a lot more than Songs of the Earth. Now onto Raven's Shadow.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Read both Raven's Shadow and Blood of Tyrants, unfortunately found both of them to be mediocre.

Blood of Tyrants was just too much dithering and sometimes outright stupidity from a few of the characters. Add to this Laurence's memory loss and it was an epic pile of fail. Also probably because her writing style is going from Alternate-History Fantasy to just plain history. I give up -_-

Raven's Shadow was....predictable to say the least. Everyone continues to act like they were acting and there are little to no plot twists...it's just one long meander from A to B then to C, and those who have power keep gaining it and Gair keeps spiralling down into a maelstrom of semi-insanity,sadness and plain neanderthal sword-swinging. Tanith(whom I had high hopes for) somehow manages to be both naive and just plain stupid, to say nothing of her massive infatuation with Gair, which is best described as a violent teenage crush. The ending battle reeks of Deus-Ex Machina and the epilogue just made me feel stupid, and feels suspiciously like fanservice.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I finished Blinding Knife and started Shadow Games, book 5 of the Black Company.

Briangc

A farm boy with a sword
Finally got around to reading Tigana by GGK which i loved. And I am now onto book two of Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow on Thorn which i'm also enjoying. Joined the library recently and it's a gold mine for some of the older fantasy and sci fi books!!

epicfantasyfreak

Finally got around to reading Tigana by GGK which i loved. And I am now onto book two of Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow on Thorn which i'm also enjoying. Joined the library recently and it's a gold mine for some of the older fantasy and sci fi books!!
I loved that book as well. I don't know whether Lions of Al-Rassan or Tigana was better, so I just rate those two works the same, his best works. I'm reading his Sarantine Mosaic duology now - it's by far his worst work I've read thus far, and I've almost read everything he's written at this point. Still, it's better than a lot of other crap out there, but I've got 200 pages to go and it's become a bit of a chore to finish at this point.