August - What fantasy book are you reading?

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Finished off Mr Monster by Dan Wells. It is on my phone as i just read it on the train or when I wait for stuff. Good book tho not sure I will buy the next one right away, i'm scared it's going to turn into something i won't like. At the moment it is very much about the young sociopath living in his small town. Not keen on him taking off and being a lone wolf if that is what Wells has planned. I don't know if his main character can stand up to being taken away from the secondary characters, they keep him conflicted.

Sandman

Has been in the eye of the world
I'm 76% finished with the Emperor of Thorns. It has not captured my interest like the previous two books with book two being less than book one. I'm going to finish it but it has taken longer than I thought it would. I'm quite disappointed with it.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Just over half with Emperor of Thorns. It's definitely not bad. The Bad Dogs scenes were pretty cool.
It's just that the oncoming twist is too heavily emphasised, and even without that, a certain character's identity was already intuitively known before I started Emperor.
Apart from that, I am enjoying it.

sarumaniac

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
It's taken me a very long time but I've finished Deadhouse Gates. Duiker is such a hero. Such a sad book, you have to take the minor victories considering some of the endings for the characters. I think I'm starting to get a grip for the hole thing now. Onto the next one.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
Finished off Mr Monster by Dan Wells. It is on my phone as i just read it on the train or when I wait for stuff. Good book tho not sure I will buy the next one right away, i'm scared it's going to turn into something i won't like. At the moment it is very much about the young sociopath living in his small town. Not keen on him taking off and being a lone wolf if that is what Wells has planned. I don't know if his main character can stand up to being taken away from the secondary characters, they keep him conflicted.

Still have yet to read the sequels to I Am Not A Serial Killer. One Amazon reviewer said the sequels blew the first book out of the water. Thanks a lot Danica! You've just dampened my excitement.

Finished Alloy of Law yesterday or something like that. Was it the day before. I can't recall? Definitely a good story but the book was definitely lacking in polish. I also caught a couple of really bad grammar mistakes in one paragraph in which him was used instead of them and he did it twice and it wasn't FREAKING CAUGHT!

Started Scrivener's Tale by Fiona Mcintosh last night. The prologue and first chapter was mostly telling so I'm not real excited about this one so far.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
Just picked up the all three books of the Coldfire Trilogy at my local library, in amazing condition, for fifty cents a piece. Mass Market Paperback, but they are gleaming on my bookshelf. Can't wait to read through them I'm real excited.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
It's taken me a very long time but I've finished Deadhouse Gates. Duiker is such a hero. Such a sad book, you have to take the minor victories considering some of the endings for the characters. I think I'm starting to get a grip for the hole thing now. Onto the next one.
Deadhouse Gates is such an awesome book. gahhh, I get a little teary just thinking about the end of that one, just wrecked me emotionally. Duiker is so brilliantly written, well a ton of the characters are brilliant in DHG, but Duiker is one of those characters that sticks with the readers because of that unselfish heroism that he displays.

Keep going though, now that you think you're starting to get the hang of the Malazan books it's about time for Erickson to throw a monkey wrench in the works on you, which Memories of Ice will most certainly do, lol.

The Malazan books are hard, but you're rewarded for that work at almost every turn as you go and you get to see the pieces of the puzzle start to fit together and the bigger picture comes into focus. You're still Erickson's world building books, just wait until you get to see him play with the pieces when he has the whole board set.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Finished Emperor of thorns.
I'm left without emotional satisfaction. But it has a fitting ending.
There were stretches of the book that really bored me though, mostly in liba flashbacks and on the road to vyenne.

Sandman

Finished Emperor of thorns. I'm left without emotional satisfaction. But it has a fitting ending. There were stretches of the book that really bored me though, mostly in liba flashbacks and on the road to vyenne.
This is how I feel. Probably half the book I found boring which is quite disappointing. I had been looking forward to the conclusion of this trilogy.

It's just that the oncoming twist is too heavily emphasised, and even without that, a certain character's identity was already intuitively known before I started Emperor.
I also had the ending figured out and the clues sprinkled throughout the book were not subtle at all. Oh well, they all can't be winners.

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
Finished Cold Days and started The Name of the Wind today.

I'm going into the book without knowing anything about it except it seems quite universally loved by everyone so I guess I need to find out what that inkeeper is hiding. Got through the first couple of chapters on the train and I'll pick it up on the way back home.

Zymologist

Deadhouse Gates is such an awesome book. gahhh, I get a little teary just thinking about the end of that one, just wrecked me emotionally. Duiker is so brilliantly written, well a ton of the characters are brilliant in DHG, but Duiker is one of those characters that sticks with the readers because of that unselfish heroism that he displays.

Keep going though, now that you think you're starting to get the hang of the Malazan books it's about time for Erickson to throw a monkey wrench in the works on you, which Memories of Ice will most certainly do, lol.

The Malazan books are hard, but you're rewarded for that work at almost every turn as you go and you get to see the pieces of the puzzle start to fit together and the bigger picture comes into focus. You're still Erickson's world building books, just wait until you get to see him play with the pieces when he has the whole board set.
I've never heard it put like this before. I'm getting ready to start House of Chains; when do you figure the whole board is set?

Frizzo0133

I've never heard it put like this before. I'm getting ready to start House of Chains; when do you figure the whole board is set?
House of Chains is what I consider the end of Erickson's set up books. The Bonehunters starts all of the pieces heading towards something. Who, what, where, why, and how are all still a long way off (obviously), but after you've finished House of Chains the major set up is complete and no matter where you find yourself in Erickson or Esslemont's world most everything is pointing towards the end game one way or another.

Zymologist

House of Chains is what I consider the end of Erickson's set up books. The Bonehunters starts all of the pieces heading towards something. Who, what, where, why, and how are all still a long way off (obviously), but after you've finished House of Chains the major set up is complete and no matter where you find yourself in Erickson or Esslemont's world most everything is pointing towards the end game one way or another.

I'm kind of taking my time with reading this one, even though I know I will like it. You've motivated me to get started soon.

Frizzo0133

I'm kind of taking my time with reading this one, even though I know I will like it. You've motivated me to get started soon.
House of Chains can startle readers, I've heard more than one person say they struggled with "Karsa, the Early Years" due to the sheer brutality and rapiness of it all, which is totally understandable, but like pretty much every Malazan novel if you stick with it you will be rewarded, and oh man does HoC reward.

So take your time and enjoy, the getting there is very much as rewarding as finish when it comes to Malazan novels.

Zymologist

House of Chains can startle readers, I've heard more than one person say they struggled with "Karsa, the Early Years" due to the sheer brutality and rapiness of it all, which is totally understandable, but like pretty much every Malazan novel if you stick with it you will be rewarded, and oh man does HoC reward.

So take your time and enjoy, the getting there is very much as rewarding as finish when it comes to Malazan novels.

Cool. I've found that it's the things (be they books, or music, or movies) that demand patience of me, and that I don't even necessarily like at first, that will likely end up becoming favorites of mine. In other words, Erikson's books are pretty much the epitome of what I like, though it may take me a while to fully realize it.